fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby Bronco Billy » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:34 am

Csl312 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:32 pm It's seems lost in this conversation that there are more than just healthy young men employed by the NFL. There are plenty of older people on training staff, coaches, equipment managers, even cleaning staff etc. So theres that too.

Also lost in this conversation is sure it's your choice whether or not to be vaccinated and it should be. But I don't really get why doing something that will protect your community and the most vulnerable members. Asthma was mentioned earlier. Believe it or not there are nfl players with asthma too! It's strange to me that if this were happening in the 1950s people would like up to do something that would be in the best interest of their neighbors, community, and country. Now people who often are the same group that seems to want America to return to the "good old days" of that same Era are those who refuse to take action to help their neighbors out.

Basically none of my post is relevant to fantasy football. Sometimes real life is more important though.
I firmly believe that the distrust of the government and media combined with the lack of transparency regarding COVID and the vaccines have a huge impact on decision making regarding getting vaccinated.

Look at the numbers you can find - the mortality rate for COVID among males 30 or younger is .00256%, but all you can find from the CDC regarding vaccine deaths is a .0017%, but even that is based on the number of doses and not the number of people receiving the shots, meaning the mortality rate is likely significantly higher - most probably greater than the mortality rate for 30 and under males from COVID itself. This is even more disquieting when there is no demographic breakdown in the vaccine deaths, but there are allusions in the CDC report that the vaccine negatively impacts under 30 males at a much greater rate than others. Now, neither number is statistically significant but don’t you think that fully educating those getting vaccinated would be important, as would making fully public all the other health hazards of the vaccines to under 30 people rather than putting forth the false narrative that the vaccines are completely safe?

Then there are all the anecdotal events where COVID was listed as a contributing factor in a person’s death when the death was clearly due to something completely separate like a car accident, or the guidelines for assigning COVID related deaths being so fuzzy that the conclusions in an unknown number of cases can be considered nothing less than subjective. There’s also plenty of data showing that many times more people actually have contracted COVID but that the symptoms were so slight or even nonexistent that it was not reported as COVID, meaning the mortality rate could be much lower than what is actually being reported. There is no accounting for all of this in the data being presented to people, and you have to go on a very thorough search to find all this information.

And we all know for a fact there there is absolutely no data on any long term health hazards since the vaccines simply have not been around long enough.

If I’m a young male in optimal physical condition and I’ve educated myself fully, there would logically and legitimately be some question of whether I’m putting myself at greater risk getting vaccinated rather than just taking my chances unvaccinated.

I do know one thing - if you want more universally vaccinated people, there’s going to have to be a lot more trust involved. Right now, the trust in anything on a federal government level and from mass media is clearly broken, and rightfully so. Complete candor from both would go a long ways in healing that rift.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:09 am

^ Good post BB.
I agree, the trust issue has to be fixed. I don’t see that happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:43 am

I feel that the last few pages have shown how difficult it can be to keep an important but broad topic like coronavirus focused down to a specific sub-topic like fantasy implications of.

As such, in order to allow the thread to continue to progress at its own rate & flow as it wants, I have transferred the thread to the off-topic section, rather than lock, edit or attempt to prune/remove comments that do not necessarily fall within the purview of the original topic.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:59 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:34 amAnd we all know for a fact there there is absolutely no data on any long term health hazards since the vaccines simply have not been around long enough.
that applies to covid long term issues as well though. long term effects are generally more frequent with diseases than with their vaccines.
Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:34 amIf I’m a young male in optimal physical condition and I’ve educated myself fully, there would logically and legitimately be some question of whether I’m putting myself at greater risk getting vaccinated rather than just taking my chances unvaccinated.
there would be a doubt at most: as you say, mortality figures are dodgy and not uniform across the globe for both disease and vaccine, so it is really hard to come to a conclusion. considering the fact that the difference is a tiny fraction of a %, all the uncertainty on those numbers means the risk is pretty much the same to our knowledge. one thing helps others, one doesn't.

Bronco Billy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:34 amI do know one thing - if you want more universally vaccinated people, there’s going to have to be a lot more trust involved. Right now, the trust in anything on a federal government level and from mass media is clearly broken, and rightfully so. Complete candor from both would go a long ways in healing that rift.
i wholeheartedly agree with this though. treat people like kids, they'll behave like kids.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:15 am

Unless you have a medical reason for not getting the shots, you need to get them. Period.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

Shoreline Steamers
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Shoreline Steamers » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:08 am

Anybody else a little concerned about the number of players that are sitting idle in camp due to Covid?

It seems a lot of the players (and virtually all coaches/staff) have been vaccinated, but there's still an awful lot of players showing up on the news-wires as testing positive. It's just not what I expected.

The NFL obviously has protocols in place, but with this more transmissible Delta variant, are we going to see more players missing time in 2021? Will it actually get to the point of forfeiting games (which would be a nightmare for fantasy owners)? The season went off pretty well overall in 2020. I thought Covid would be less of a concern as we approached the 2021 season. Now I'm wondering about that.
14 Team, No-PPR, 20 Man Roster, TD Heavy, TD = 6, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, B. Purdy, T. Lance
RB: J. Mixon, N. Chubb, A. Dillon, J. Cook, K. Mitchell, J. McLaughlin, Z. Evans
WR: J. Chase, C. Godwin, D. Johnson, J. Reed, C. Tillman
TE: TJ Hockenson, D. Njoku, B. Jordan

14 Team, .5 PPR, 18 Man Roster, Rush/Rec TD = 6, Pass TD = 4, FG = 3, Start: QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K, D
QB: L. Jackson, T. Tagovailoa
RB: B. Robinson, K. Walker, R. Stevenson, K. Herbertl
WR: C. Olave, T. Higgins, B. Aiyuk, N. Collins, Z. Flowers, M. Mims
TE: K. Pitts, D. Njoku

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:43 am

^ I am concerned. Who knows how many other variants there could be.