fantasy impact of coronavirus

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Re: fantasy impact of coronavirus

Postby Jigga94 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:43 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:42 am What I don’t understand is why there are any sanctions on unvaccinated players or staff. The country is at the point where anyone can walk in and get vaccinated if they choose to do so, and football players are in an extremely low risk group. Instead there is severe coercion to get vaccinated by the league, which should be a matter of personal choice given that the vaccines are designated as experimental and there are no data on long term effects.
I agree. It all comes back to money. Obviously if owners feel that an unvaccinated player can more easily get sick, then they bring it to the team and it causes issues with scheduling and $. I would assume that's the reason they are pushing it like they are

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:42 am What I don’t understand is why there are any sanctions on unvaccinated players or staff. The country is at the point where anyone can walk in and get vaccinated if they choose to do so, and football players are in an extremely low risk group. Instead there is severe coercion to get vaccinated by the league, which should be a matter of personal choice given that the vaccines are designated as experimental and there are no data on long term effects.
That’s false: https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N2M70MW

There was also an article on ESPN some time ago regarding a study of college athletes that indicated that they were at higher risk of post-COVID-19 heart problems.

It’s fine that the league has decided to allow vaccination to be a personal choice, but these are basically the same restrictions players had last season before vaccines were available. It seems very appropriate to me to not lift those unless players get vaccinated.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:12 am

An interesting observation here is that the people that are currently in our ICU and on vents are all unvaccinated people. Apparently the vaccine is doing something right. I do understand people's personal reasons for not getting the vaccine, whatever they may be. There is a lot of unknown long term effects from either way you go, but for me I'll take the one that's keeping me off of a vent.
10-Team Dynasty League QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/FLEX (23 man rosters + 2 IR + 2 Taxi, non-PPR scoring)
QB: Herbert, Goff
RB: Bijan, JT, Saquon, J.Cook, K.Hunt, Foreman, Z.White, McKinnon, S.Tucker
WR: G.Wilson, Olave, Jeudy, Pittman, J.Williams, OBJ, N. Brown, JuJu,
TE: Chig, Conklin, L. Thomas
Taxi: M.Mims, Ro. Johnson
'24: (4) 1sts, 2nd, (2) 3rds, 4th
'25: (2) 1sts, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:13 am

Go ask the Phoenix Suns how they feel about Chris Paul's decision to not vaccinate. It is a personal choice, but when that choice impacts others and pocket books, employers and the league have a employer right to make policies.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:40 am

Ruggenater wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 am

There was also an article on ESPN some time ago regarding a study of college athletes that indicated that they were at higher risk of post-COVID-19 heart problems.

It’s fine that the league has decided to allow vaccination to be a personal choice, but these are basically the same restrictions players had last season before vaccines were available. It seems very appropriate to me to not lift those unless players get vaccinated.
Ummm... from the FDA itself / but go ahead and just take Reuters at their word. They’re so credible after all.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... 19-vaccine
The authorization of this vaccine expands the availability of vaccines, the best medical prevention method for COVID-19, to help us in the fight against this pandemic, which has claimed over half a million lives in the United States,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, M.D. “The FDA, through our open and transparent scientific review process, has now authorized three COVID-19 vaccines with the urgency called for during this pandemic, using the agency’s rigorous standards for safety, effectiveness and manufacturing quality needed to support emergency use authorization.”

The EUA Process

On the basis of the determination by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services on Feb. 4, 2020, that there is a public health emergency that has a significant potential to affect national security or the health and security of United States citizens living abroad, and issued declarations that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of unapproved products, the FDA may issue an EUA to allow unapproved medical products or unapproved uses of approved medical products to be used in an emergency to diagnose, treat, or prevent COVID-19 when there are no adequate, approved, and available alternatives.

The issuance of an EUA is different than an FDA approval (licensure) of a vaccine, in that a vaccine available under an EUA is not approved. In determining whether to issue an EUA for a product, the FDA evaluates the available evidence to determine whether the product may be effective and also assesses any known or potential risks and any known or potential benefits If the product meets the effectiveness standard and the benefit-risk assessment is favorable, the product is made available during the emergency. Once a manufacturer submits an EUA request for a COVID-19 vaccine to the FDA, the agency then evaluates the request and determines whether the relevant statutory criteria are met, taking into account the totality of the scientific evidence about the vaccine that is available to the FDA.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:43 am

thebadferret wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:29 am Beware, stupid comparison (as in topics aren't comparable, but principle is).

All players have the choice to smoke weed. But choices have consequences and the consequence for smoking weed is getting banned.
So it is for vaccination. You can make your own personal choice on if you want to or not, but there are consequences to that and the NFL (imho rightfully) decided a consequence is to limit access for unvaxxed players.
I always find it weird when people equalize freedom with lack of consequences.

To the main question you ask, why they decided to do so, I'm pretty sure they have many reasons. Also just because you yourself are in the extremely low risk group doesn't mean everybody you have contact is low risk. Don't forget, vaccination is a group project. It doesn't help much if it's only done by a few.
And everyone that an unvaccinated person comes in contact with has a choice whether they want to get vaccinated or not. This freedom stuff, it’s just crazy isn’t it?

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:00 am

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:40 am
Ruggenater wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 am

Ummm... from the FDA itself / but go ahead and just take Reuters at their word. They’re so credible after all.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-a ... 19-vaccine
The authorization of this vaccine expands the availability of vaccines, the best medical prevention method for COVID-19, to help us in the fight against this pandemic, which has claimed over half a million lives in the United States,” said Acting FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock, M.D. “The FDA, through our open and transparent scientific review process, has now authorized three COVID-19 vaccines with the urgency called for during this pandemic, using the agency’s rigorous standards for safety, effectiveness and manufacturing quality needed to support emergency use authorization.”

The EUA Process

On the basis of the determination by the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services on Feb. 4, 2020, that there is a public health emergency that has a significant potential to affect national security or the health and security of United States citizens living abroad, and issued declarations that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of unapproved products, the FDA may issue an EUA to allow unapproved medical products or unapproved uses of approved medical products to be used in an emergency to diagnose, treat, or prevent COVID-19 when there are no adequate, approved, and available alternatives.

The issuance of an EUA is different than an FDA approval (licensure) of a vaccine, in that a vaccine available under an EUA is not approved. In determining whether to issue an EUA for a product, the FDA evaluates the available evidence to determine whether the product may be effective and also assesses any known or potential risks and any known or potential benefits If the product meets the effectiveness standard and the benefit-risk assessment is favorable, the product is made available during the emergency. Once a manufacturer submits an EUA request for a COVID-19 vaccine to the FDA, the agency then evaluates the request and determines whether the relevant statutory criteria are met, taking into account the totality of the scientific evidence about the vaccine that is available to the FDA.
Emergency use authorization does not mean “experimental”. The word experimental doesn’t fall in the entire quote you posted.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:52 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:40 am
I know you're being sarcastic, but Reuters is just about the most credible, reliable and unbiased news agency on the planet, and has been for decades. Denouncing their credibility isn't really a strong way to winning an argument.

Regarding your point, the NFL - as a private organization - has every right to put vaccination rules into place.

The Chris Paul example is a good one. Losing a player (or even a team) to quarantine for a few weeks after testing positive caused quite a few headaches last season, and I'm sure affected revenues.
Meaning more vaccinations means less risk for their organization's bottom line, period (and that's just looking at the financial angle, not the moral/greater good/societal benefit one).

If that means losing a few guys like Beasley to retirement, I'm sure the NFL can live with that.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Like Bronco Billy said, they are an extremely low risk group. They don’t need to lose “guys like Beasley” if they go with a more common sense approach. I have not heard if they are requiring players who have already beaten COVID to get the vaccine, but I would not be surprised if they are still requiring it. It seems as though the “science” is not so important now. I’m wondering if it ever really was.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 pm

OkOk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm Like Bronco Billy said, they are an extremely low risk group. They don’t need to lose “guys like Beasley” if they go with a more common sense approach. I have not heard if they are requiring players who have already beaten COVID to get the vaccine, but I would not be surprised if they are still requiring it. It seems as though the “science” is not so important now. I’m wondering if it ever really was.
To most people in most of the world, it is and always was.

And again, it doesn't matter if they are a low risk group (of having significant symptoms), because it's not just about them. The NFL, as a private business, wants this season to run as smoothly as possible. The fewer quarantines, game delays, players with health issues the better. Maybe you don't want to believe that it's all about the science, or ever was ( :crazy: )... I'd say at the very least it is secondarily, because primarily for the NFL it is all about the bottom line.

Science says that vaccinated individuals have a MUCH lower chance of becoming infected (or symptomatic if infected - and that includes previously infected folks) - > infected players lead to quarantines, to possibly more infections, to possible game delays, to possible loss of revenue - > NFL puts rules in to place that makes life much easier on vaccinated players, to encourage getting the vaccine.

Seems straightforward and logical enough imo.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:17 am

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:28 pm
OkOk wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:56 pm Like Bronco Billy said, they are an extremely low risk group. They don’t need to lose “guys like Beasley” if they go with a more common sense approach. I have not heard if they are requiring players who have already beaten COVID to get the vaccine, but I would not be surprised if they are still requiring it. It seems as though the “science” is not so important now. I’m wondering if it ever really was.

And again, it doesn't matter if they are a low risk group (of having significant symptoms), because it's not just about them. The NFL, as a private business, wants this season to run as smoothly as possible. The fewer quarantines, game delays, players with health issues the better. Maybe you don't want to believe that it's all about the science, or ever was ( :crazy: )... I'd say at the very least it is secondarily, because primarily for the NFL it is all about the bottom line.

Science says that vaccinated individuals have a MUCH lower chance of becoming infected (or symptomatic if infected - and that includes previously infected folks) - > infected players lead to quarantines, to possibly more infections, to possible game delays, to possible loss of revenue - > NFL puts rules in to place that makes life much easier on vaccinated players, to encourage getting the vaccine.

Let me get this out the way, im vaccinated, i believe the vaccines are miracles, i encourage everyone to take it. But there is also SCIENCE out there that shows this vaccine CAN cause myocarditis for males in this specific age group. Please dont ignore this science. Too many people on both sides of the aisle have ignored science that doesnt fit their viewpoints and its so frustrating and why we are in this mess. Examples of this are one side acting like masks and the vaccines dont work is silly, and the other side totally ignoring seasonality and natural immunity is also silly.

I mean im sure you have heard about myocarditis but in case you havent here are at least two articles on the Myocardtis post vax . If you havent heard about it please research it yourself. I understand the risk from the shot is very very low, but there is still risk involved, and basically forcing players to take what they may feel is a risk is wrong no matter what way you slice it.

My take on it is we all just need to worry about ourselves and not what anyone else is doing, its their choice. There isnt going to be some super doom variant that grows in an unvaccinated person that evades both the vaccines and natural immunity. The only science we have seen are these vaccines work well against variants. Let people just make their own choices

https://www.healio.com/news/cardiology/ ... accination

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... er-vaccine

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:38 am

Patsfan86 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:17 am

Let me get this out the way, im vaccinated, i believe the vaccines are miracles, i encourage everyone to take it. But there is also SCIENCE out there that shows this vaccine CAN cause myocarditis for males in this specific age group. Please dont ignore this science. Too many people on both sides of the aisle have ignored science that doesnt fit their viewpoints and its so frustrating and why we are in this mess. Examples of this are one side acting like masks and the vaccines dont work is silly, and the other side totally ignoring seasonality and natural immunity is also silly.

I mean im sure you have heard about myocarditis but in case you havent here are at least two articles on the Myocardtis post vax . If you havent heard about it please research it yourself. I understand the risk from the shot is very very low, but there is still risk involved, and basically forcing players to take what they may feel is a risk is wrong no matter what way you slice it.

My take on it is we all just need to worry about ourselves and not what anyone else is doing, its their choice. There isnt going to be some super doom variant that grows in an unvaccinated person that evades both the vaccines and natural immunity. The only science we have seen are these vaccines work well against variants. Let people just make their own choices

https://www.healio.com/news/cardiology/ ... accination

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19 ... er-vaccine
The bolded.... :clap: :clap: :clap: It would solve the majority of our issues right now. But when people form their identity and feed their egos by their incessant need to not only insist their way is the right way of living, but try to impose that on everyone else; it will never go away. What religion you practice, who you vote for, what you do with your own body should all be private. If people wish to discuss it, that's one thing. But the gall of people anymore who just straight up ask strangers these things, and then go on to try to lecture them about it, is disgusting. Because they are so damn self-centered they will rationalize a way that every single thing anyone else does somehow relates to and directly effects them and their lives. And even when they really can't do that, they'll insert themselves into another groups victim-hood and do it on their "behalf", unrequested of course. They've now trained their own self worth to be directly tied to the need of social media equivalent of back pats via likes/shares earned by shitting on anyone who doesn't live the "right way". Which typically isn't even a conclusion they've come to through their own research and logical thought processes, but rather just regurgitated from whichever side is larger and more self-righteous. A bunch of pots incessantly screaming at kettles for being black. Better summed up by one of the chillest dudes in music:
"“But everybody thinks
That everybody knows
about everybody else
Nobody knows anything about themselves
Cause they’re all worried about everybody else”

Let's go back to this board and this thread's intentions, and keep it focused on fantasy football. If you really need to feed your ego, go to Facebook

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:37 am

The bolded.... :clap: :clap: :clap: It would solve the majority of our issues right now. But when people form their identity and feed their egos by their incessant need to not only insist their way is the right way of living, but try to impose that on everyone else; it will never go away. What religion you practice, who you vote for, what you do with your own body should all be private. If people wish to discuss it, that's one thing. But the gall of people anymore who just straight up ask strangers these things, and then go on to try to lecture them about it, is disgusting. Because they are so damn self-centered they will rationalize a way that every single thing anyone else does somehow relates to and directly effects them and their lives. And even when they really can't do that, they'll insert themselves into another groups victim-hood and do it on their "behalf", unrequested of course. They've now trained their own self worth to be directly tied to the need of social media equivalent of back pats via likes/shares earned by shitting on anyone who doesn't live the "right way". Which typically isn't even a conclusion they've come to through their own research and logical thought processes, but rather just regurgitated from whichever side is larger and more self-righteous. A bunch of pots incessantly screaming at kettles for being black.

Let's go back to this board and this thread's intentions, and keep it focused on fantasy football. If you really need to feed your ego, go to Facebook
My post was not about whether or not I think NFL players should get vaccinated (though my thoughts are probably pretty obvious on the topic).
My post was trying to explain why it makes perfect sense and is reasonable for the NFL to ask their players to be. I say ask btw, because unlike some hospitals now they aren't forcing anybody to get the vaccine. They are just forcing them to do things like get tested frequently or workout in separate areas from vaccinated players if they chose not to.

My argument is simply this:

- The science says that vaccinated people have a much, much smaller chance of becoming infected with Covid19, and having minor symptoms if they do.
- It's in the NFL's best financial interest to have the smallest amount of players become infected (I assume the 0.00001% of possibly getting treatable myocarditis after the vaccine as mentioned by another poster will probably have been taken in to account by the teams as well)
- Therefore it's in the NFL's best interest to strongly encourage vaccination by any way they legally can

Now you can go and claim it's just me feeding my ego, or call me names indirectly, or send me "back to Facebook" or whatever , but so far I haven't seen a counter argument to my points above other than "it's personal choice" etc. You know what's also a personal choice? Working for the NFL.

Fact is it's in the NFL's best financial interest to have their players (employees) be vaccinated, so they have every right to incentivize that.

Heck, I have had to sign contracts that forbid me smoking cigarettes, despite being legal. I'm also not allowed to smoke a joint on my days off even though it is legal where I live.

And as far as fantasy relevance, if this leads to more players like Beasley (who wanted to stand up for others apparently) stepping down, then I don't see how this isn't.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:37 am

The bolded.... :clap: :clap: :clap: It would solve the majority of our issues right now. But when people form their identity and feed their egos by their incessant need to not only insist their way is the right way of living, but try to impose that on everyone else; it will never go away. What religion you practice, who you vote for, what you do with your own body should all be private. If people wish to discuss it, that's one thing. But the gall of people anymore who just straight up ask strangers these things, and then go on to try to lecture them about it, is disgusting. Because they are so damn self-centered they will rationalize a way that every single thing anyone else does somehow relates to and directly effects them and their lives. And even when they really can't do that, they'll insert themselves into another groups victim-hood and do it on their "behalf", unrequested of course. They've now trained their own self worth to be directly tied to the need of social media equivalent of back pats via likes/shares earned by shitting on anyone who doesn't live the "right way". Which typically isn't even a conclusion they've come to through their own research and logical thought processes, but rather just regurgitated from whichever side is larger and more self-righteous. A bunch of pots incessantly screaming at kettles for being black.

My post was not about whether or not I think NFL players should get vaccinated (though my thoughts are probably pretty obvious on the topic).
My post was trying to explain why it makes perfect sense and is reasonable for the NFL to ask their players to be. I say ask btw, because unlike some hospitals now they aren't forcing anybody to get the vaccine. They are just forcing them to do things like get tested frequently or workout in separate areas from vaccinated players if they chose not to.

- The science says that vaccinated people have a much, much smaller chance of becoming infected with Covid19, and having minor symptoms if they do.
- It's in the NFL's best financial interest to have the smallest amount of players become infected (I assume the 0.00001% of possibly getting treatable myocarditis after the vaccine as mentioned by another poster will probably have been taken in to account by the teams as well)
- Therefore it's in the NFL's best interest to strongly encourage vaccination by any way they legally can

Now you can go and claim it's just me feeding my ego, or call me names indirectly, or send me "back to Facebook" or whatever , but so far I haven't seen a counter argument to my points above other than "it's personal choice" etc. You know what's also a personal choice? Working for the NFL.

Fact is it's in the NFL's best financial interest to have their players (employees) be vaccinated, so they have every right to incentivize that.

Heck, I have had to sign contracts that forbid me smoking cigarettes, despite being legal. I'm also not allowed to smoke a joint on my days off even though it is legal where I live.

And as far as fantasy relevance, if this leads to more players like Beasley (who wanted to stand up for others apparently) stepping down, then I don't see how this isn't.
I don't think you could have misinterpreted my comment any worse lol. I was agreeing with your original comment, specifically the parts I bolded in my response. And continue to mostly agree with your follow-up comments under the distinction that the NFL and it's players are in a business relationship together and have a vested interest in their ability to perform as employees; as opposed to people who go to places of business as consumers and ask waiters/waitresses/hairdressers/etc "are you vaccinated?". I think your initial comment, and even the follow-up despite obviously misunderstanding my reply, are a positive mentality and approach as opposed to what I laid out on how I see many others dealing with it in their regular lives. Sorry that did not come across apparently.

And getting back to fantasy relevance was about the derailment of the thread away from fantasy, once again, not really directed at you. But when we are having debates about the difference between "experimental" and "EUA", people are linking Reuters articles, IMO that's OOS of fantasy relevance.

qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
Captain
Captain

Postby qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:46 pm

dustyroads wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:24 pm
qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:37 am

I don't think you could have misinterpreted my comment any worse lol. I was agreeing with your original comment, specifically the parts I bolded in my response. And continue to mostly agree with your follow-up comments under the distinction that the NFL and it's players are in a business relationship together and have a vested interest in their ability to perform as employees; as opposed to people who go to places of business as consumers and ask waiters/waitresses/hairdressers/etc "are you vaccinated?". I think your initial comment, and even the follow-up despite obviously misunderstanding my reply, are a positive mentality and approach as opposed to what I laid out on how I see many others dealing with it in their regular lives. Sorry that did not come across apparently.

And getting back to fantasy relevance was about the derailment of the thread away from fantasy, once again, not really directed at you. But when we are having debates about the difference between "experimental" and "EUA", people are linking Reuters articles, IMO that's OOS of fantasy relevance.
All good, in addition to misunderstanding, I definitely may also have been more defensive in my reply than necessary. Appreciate the clarification either way. :thumbup: