CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Re: CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Postby TimeWillTell » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:07 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:02 am I'm less concerned with the virus itself than the more far-reaching effects it is going to have.

It's not going away anytime soon, but hopefully at least nationally, this fizzles out as warmer weather approaches like most respiratory viruses.

EDs will be overwhelmed by people with cold symptoms further delaying care to those in actual, emergent need.

Masks and medical equipment being bought up in bulk by the public, putting actual providers and staff at risk of going without.

Travel restrictions negatively effecting business and the economy even more so than we're seeing already.

The fear, panic and lack of reason is most concerning.
This is my concern also
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:48 am
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:49 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:22 pm

They declared a public health emergency in April, you boot-licking fanboy. There are grownups talking here. You don't belong.
Wow, you really are clueless.

"They" wasn't the Obama Administration. That was the World Health Organization.

The USA government did nothing as it relates to public steps of large gatherings or anything of consequence to try to minimize the spread.

Why don't you put your internet trolling to good use and inform us by listing all the steps the federal government took back then on a national basis to broadly inform the public to minimize the risk.

The point isn't to blame but it's foolish to blame the government at this point for a virus from China when they actually have been taking proactive steps in coordinating industry as well as state and local governments. No doubt mistakes are going to happen.
Ladies and gentlemen, you’ve seen boot-lickers before, but today I present to you a grown man trying to swallow the boot!

Here’s a fun one: the CDC used to have a pandemic response team. Guess who eliminated it? Source: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trum ... emic-team/

There are real people here having real conversations, trying to share expertise and experience to figure out what to expect going forward. Meanwhile you’re just an angry fan screaming because somebody said mean things about his team. You don’t belong here, and you’re deluded if you think your opinion matters at all.

This is a good time to put your political fandom aside, so we can all talk about what’s happening. Every word that you type trying to rabidly defend Dear Leader is a waste of time for the people whose opinions matter.
A medical device rep battling (I'm assuming) an ED Attending on pandemic response and preparedness...

What a world.

I know my lane, while I'm critical care, the pediatric population largely hasn't been affected to the same extent unlike the Flu and RSV this season and because of it, I am by no means an expert on the issue and don't pretend to be.

I was too young to be practicing during SARS and H1N1. My only other professional taste of this type of national pandemic worry was Ebola in 2014.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:49 pm Ice, I respectfully disagree. There was a report just yesterday in NYT that a flu study in Washington State in mid February tried to shift to do some kind of corona virus testing, but was thwarted repeatedly by the CDC, which wouldn't let them proceed.

There has been a lack of coordination throughout February by the US government, both in front of and behind the scenes. I won't point fingers. I just think it's pretty clear that some did not take this as seriously, certainly in public, but perhaps in private as well, and tried to paint a rosy picture.

To some degree, I think this is a deficiency of democratic governments, who are run by a combination of elected officials (mostly self-absorbed idiots who have generally accomplished very little in the real world) and a bunch of bureaucrats who can't or won't take decisive action absent orders from above. Switzerland, my home country, has over 150 cases per day in the last 5 days (in a country of less than 8 million). But they still haven't closed schools or taken many other steps to limit spreading, and they are totally bungling testing as well.

As for the NFL and dynasty football, I'm of the opinion that we won't see a 2020 NFL season. Almost all indicators are this thing getting worse, not getting better in the foreseeable future. I don't trust anything that China is saying. And many nations that have the virus are seeing between 100 and 500 confirmed new cases in teh last 24 hours. That's with very little testing going on in most places and with incubation periods of about 5-14 days. That means all those 100 to 500 people were probably communal spreading the virus amongst friends, family, neigbhors and stores/shops/restaurants/schools/doctors offices. This thing is GAINING steam in NA and Europe, not abating in any way.

Even South Korea, which is supposedly taken some of the best/most aggressive actions, has had about 300 new cases in the last 24-28 hours.
Didn't read that report but it is no surprise mistakes happen. The CDC is a huge bureaucracy with 11,000 employees or so and to compound matters they are dealing with 50 separate state governments in full panic mode. We can blame the CDC or the Washington Health system but it doesn't matter much given the fog of fighting a virus little is really known about. I will let you know since you used the word "Flu STUDY" if this was an actual clinical study then it would be highly illegal to change a study midstream on humans.

The way clinical research works is subjects are hired to participate in a study and medical parameters are explicitly laid out. There can be no unauthorized changes without both patient or sponsor approvals.

That said, once manufacturing can produce enough good test kits we will most likely find the actual number of cases are many times greater than we know today. It is not just democratic governments that have issues. It is a virus that is highly contagious. Sadly, the test does nothing more than show a contagious individual. The treatment at this point is a guess so using therapeutics like one does with any virus until effective treatments can be standardized is what is happening.

The steps taken by the government yesterday of restricting travel from Europe for 30 days is yet another indication we are taking proactive steps to slow the growth curve until we can get a handle on the severity as vaccines are developed to help reduce the risk in the future.

You could be right about the NFL season. Hopefully this virus is somewhat seasonal like the various flu viruses but it sure looks like it may not be at this point.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:49 pm
As for the NFL and dynasty football, I'm of the opinion that we won't see a 2020 NFL season.
I think, knowing what we know about the NFL owners, if there is no 2020 NFL season things have likely gotten so bad that no one will care that there’s no football. I think they would almost certainly go ahead with fan-less events if necessary to at least cash in on the TV money. I think it would likely take some kind of government mandate to completely cancel the season. But I’ve been wrong before.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:46 am

Email draft. Clock off between 10 PM and 6 AM.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 am

OhCruelestRanter is a complete Snopes Moron. Now it makes sense.... Wow.

If one wants to learn more about the CDC in real terms here are a couple of actual links on the organization.

https://www.cdc.gov/about/organization/ ... index.html

https://www.cdc.gov/budget/documents/fy ... cation.pdf
Last edited by Ice on Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

UnsafeAtAnySpd
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby UnsafeAtAnySpd » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:52 am

And toilet paper is basically just a meme now. People are buying it for shits and giggles.

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:08 am

Orenthal Shames wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:02 am I'm less concerned with the virus itself than the more far-reaching effects it is going to have.

It's not going away anytime soon, but hopefully at least nationally, this fizzles out as warmer weather approaches like most respiratory viruses.

EDs will be overwhelmed by people with cold symptoms further delaying care to those in actual, emergent need.

Masks and medical equipment being bought up in bulk by the public, putting actual providers and staff at risk of going without.

Travel restrictions negatively effecting business and the economy even more so than we're seeing already.

The fear, panic and lack of reason is most concerning.
Thats whats frustrating for families like mine. We've been trying not to panic because my wife and I have 3 kids and we're early 30s, no underlying health problems and we dont smoke. But when stores here are sold out of stuff that we use daily now we're in trouble because we didnt panic and hoard. Fortunately for the last 3 weeks or so we've been slowly stockpiling stuff like food, a couple extra packs of toilet paper, EmergenC, lysol wipes, antibacterial hand soap and yes masks. I use masks everyday for work so I dont breathe in laminate/wood dust that cause cancer. I use 1 per week and I have about 20 masks or so. My anxiety is rising because of all the selfish panic inducing people that ran into the stores and cleaned the shelves which screws all the non panicking people. Also whats stressing me out is the potential loss of income.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 am

TimeWillTell wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 am
As for the NFL and dynasty football, I'm of the opinion that we won't see a 2020 NFL season.
I think, knowing what we know about the NFL owners, if there is no 2020 NFL season things have likely gotten so bad that no one will care that there’s no football. I think they would almost certainly go ahead with fan-less events if necessary to at least cash in on the TV money. I think it would likely take some kind of government mandate to completely cancel the season. But I’ve been wrong before.
I would not be surprised if the players threatened to strike before the owners agreed to cancel games. The NFL and NCAA will race to the bottom.

What's the XFL doing? Maybe crowds stacking up beer cups with other people's respiratory droplets on them isn't the best idea at the moment?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:30 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:09 am
TimeWillTell wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:29 am

What's the XFL doing? Maybe crowds stacking up beer cups with other people's respiratory droplets on them isn't the best idea at the moment?
They are having spectator free games now too as of yesterdayI believe.
16 team league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:27 pm

NHL suspends it's season.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:43 pm

Sure, an extra 12,000 deaths in the next few months? No big deal. JFC. Have you ever seen things shut down like this before? It's not just the USA. Look at the global state of things. Not to mention the idiots in the White House.
D3:
QB—Allen, Pickett RB—Kamara, Jacobs, ZWhite, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Tillman, Marshall, Jefferson, Robinson, Tucker TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington, Kraft PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC, Hall RB—Bijan, Kamara, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, Foreman, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Adams, Allen, Tillman, Woods TE—Kelce, Kmet, Conklin PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield RB—Bijan, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, Rodriguez, Spiller WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, MBrown, Myers, Reynold, Jones TE—Kmet, Likely, Kraft, Conklin, Hurst, Hudson PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: Bijan, BRob, ZWhite, Allgeier, McLaughlin WR: DJM, Higgins, JSN, Downs, RMoore, Atwell, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, Hutchinson, Iosivas, Devante, CJones TE: Ferguson, Kraft, Trautman, Tremble

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:00 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:43 pm Sure, an extra 12,000 deaths in the next few months? No big deal. JFC. Have you ever seen things shut down like this before? It's not just the USA. Look at the global state of things. Not to mention the idiots in the White House.
Careful, some bootlicker is about to jump down your throat about how “actually this virus is just the flu and this is all a hoax” and then “this grand administration is handling this very serious disease perfectly” and then, inevitably “it’s Obama’s fault.”

Dumb fans complaining because you said something bad about their team.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:19 pm

Time to look up Locum rates
16 team league

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:23 pm

I live in Ontario, Canada. Our schools will be shutting down for 2 weeks after out March Break.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick