CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Re: CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Postby Orenthal Shames » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:22 pm

Ohio Department of Health Director estimates 110,000 Ohio residents likely have the virus.

Hospital-wide visitor restrictions are in effect at my facility, triage algorithms and clincial pathways have been established for both ED/inpatient and clinics.

Schools have been cancelled for 3 weeks as of now. No childcare mean tighter staffing on already taxed units. No meals for struggling families whose kiddos rely on school-provided breakfast and lunch. Currently therapies and resources typically available to students aren't, at least for the time being. A lack of child-care for parents who can't afford to stay home. The list goes on.

The governor has banned large gatherings (100 people or more). Yet after the announcement, the masses flooded grocery stores in droves. I saw videos of checkout lines 50 people deep. :wall:

Social distancing is everyone's job at this point to try to spread out the infections so hospitals don't get slammed all at once. That at least gives medical personnel a chance to get a leg up on this thing.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

berserkers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby berserkers » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:58 am

Here's a good link to global cases of COVID-19 that I've been referring to. Stay safe. Let's hope the American government can get their act together and slow the spread of this virus. I feel for you all back in North America.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:05 am

Thanks for that link^
I’ve seen on the news lately that China is now saying that the origin of the virus may have been in the USA. If that is the case ( I don’t believe that it is) it appears that the USA is doing a much better job of containing it than China, especially if you believe it started in the USA.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:57 am

azthecrow wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:05 am Thanks for that link^
I’ve seen on the news lately that China is now saying that the origin of the virus may have been in the USA. If that is the case ( I don’t believe that it is) it appears that the USA is doing a much better job of containing it than China, especially if you believe it started in the USA.
This is wrong. A Chinese government official accused that maybe the US Military started this in Wuhan. That’s different from saying the disease started here.

We’re not doing a good job of containment yet.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:00 am

This tells quite a story to me

January 22: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
February 2: “We pretty much shut it down coming in from China.”
February 24: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… Stock Market starting to look very good to me!”
February 25: “CDC and my Administration are doing a GREAT job of handling Coronavirus.”
February 25: “I think that's a problem that’s going to go away… They have studied it. They know very much. In fact, we’re very close to a vaccine.”
February 26: “The 15 (cases in the US) within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
February 26: “We're going very substantially down, not up.”
February 27: “One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”
February 28: "The Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus... this is their new hoax."
February 28: “We're ordering a lot of supplies. We're ordering a lot of, uh, elements that frankly we wouldn't be ordering unless it was something like this. But we're ordering a lot of different elements of medical.”
March 2: “You take a solid flu vaccine, you don't think that could have an impact, or much of an impact, on corona?”
March 2: “A lot of things are happening, a lot of very exciting things are happening and they’re happening very rapidly.”
March 4: “If we have thousands or hundreds of thousands of people that get better just by, you know, sitting around and even going to work — some of them go to work, but they get better.”
March 5: “I NEVER said people that are feeling sick should go to work.”
March 5: “The United States… has, as of now, only 129 cases… and 11 deaths. We are working very hard to keep these numbers as low as possible!”
March 6: “I think we’re doing a really good job in this country at keeping it down… a tremendous job at keeping it down.”
March 6: “Anybody right now, and yesterday, anybody that needs a test gets a test. They’re there. And the tests are beautiful…. the tests are all perfect like the letter was perfect. The transcription was perfect. Right? This was not as perfect as that but pretty good.”
March 6: “I like this stuff. I really get it. People are surprised that I understand it… Every one of these doctors said, ‘How do you know so much about this?’ Maybe I have a natural ability. Maybe I should have done that instead of running for president.”
March 6: "Does anybody die of the flu?' I didn't know people died from the flu."
March 6: “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault.”
March 8: “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine-tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus.”
March 9: "The Democrat party is doing everything within its power to inflame the CoronaVirus situation.
March 9: “This blindsided the world.”
March 13: "I am officially declaring a National Emergency."
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:07 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:57 am
This is wrong. A Chinese government official accused that maybe the US Military started this in Wuhan. That’s different from saying the disease started here.

Agreed. Those most likely to be minimally effected personally not changing their social routine is arguably the biggest threat. Social distancing will help spread the infections out as opposed to it hammering us all at once and completely overwhelming our current medical resources.

Multiple local hospitals here have green-lighted crisis pay rates in an attempt to bring in temporary help from all over to bolster staffing.

Plans are in place to boost patient capacity up to an additional 50% if needed. If epidemic levels are reached, numerous facilities have a joint team with the ability to erect a large, tented mobile hospital.

This is going on all over the country.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
16 team league

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Thanks for the clarification

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:38 pm

Although they were late in their reaction, China pulled off quite the feat, for such a populous country, in containing the spread of the outbreak. I'm not sure the U.S.A. is capable of such drastic measures. I think it's far to early to judge how effective we are in containing this outbreak. It WILL get worse before it gets better.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:12 pm

azthecrow wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:11 pm

Thanks for the clarification
:thumbup:

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Governor of Ohio just ordered all non-essential businesses to be closed indefinitely as of 8pm tonight.

Illinois apparently doing the same.
16 team league

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:10 pm

Massachusetts banned gatherings of over 25 people, restaurants/bars can only do take-out/delivery.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Per Adam Schefter the NFL league year and free agency will start on time

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:27 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:10 pm Massachusetts banned gatherings of over 25 people, restaurants/bars can only do take-out/delivery.
What types of precautions/actions is your facility taking? Curious to know how others are preparing.
16 team league

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:17 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:27 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:10 pm Massachusetts banned gatherings of over 25 people, restaurants/bars can only do take-out/delivery.
What types of precautions/actions is your facility taking? Curious to know how others are preparing.
Our testing algorithm gets updated multiple times per day. Working to expand our physical space. Waiting room split to COVID/non-COVID

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:03 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:17 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:27 pm
Our testing algorithm gets updated multiple times per day. Working to expand our physical space. Waiting room split to COVID/non-COVID
The screening process and clincial pathways from Outpatient/ED to inpatient/PICU are ever-evolving here as well. We've just switched from airborne precautions to contact and droplet except during aerosol-generating procedures (intubate/extubate, bronchs, etc). Large scale efforts to conserve PPE are also in effect.

I don't mean to pry, I was just curious as to how adult ED facilities are handling it, since they'll face the lion's share of cases. We partnered with neighboring adult facilities to form a task force should things get progressively worse.

I'm only in my early-mid 30's, so this is far and away crazier than anything I've ever experienced professionally. I truly appreciate the insight.

Hopefully our governor acting early (canceling schools, banning local gatherings, etc) will pay dividends.
16 team league