CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Corona virus update.

Postby Pac_Eddy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:26 am

azthecrow wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:56 am I fear the longer we shut down will increase the impact of depression, drugs, crime, etc...on society. We are already seeing/hearing about this. So it is important in my opinion to open up a soon as we can or the economy may never recover. Unfortunately there is no perfect scenario for that, we just have to take that leap (in steps) soon, in my opinion.
Opening up too fast will result in even larger spikes of the virus and even more deaths, which would be worse for the economy than opening really slowly and enduring a depression.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:27 am

Oddball456 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 am
azthecrow wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:56 am I fear the longer we shut down will increase the impact of depression, drugs, crime, etc...on society. We are already seeing/hearing about this. So it is important in my opinion to open up a soon as we can or the economy may never recover. Unfortunately there is no perfect scenario for that, we just have to take that leap (in steps) soon, in my opinion.
Agreed.
I fear we haven't shut down nearly enough (as a whole country) and once we open back up we see another spike and have to repeat the whole process again.
Bingo.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:45 am

MattDeezy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:19 am
What’s the issue with these things?
When people lose their livelihood and ability to survive financially, anger and hopelessness increase, which in turn increases those things. I forgot to include suicide, which is the ultimate result of depression in some cases. Have you not seen the protests at State capitals?

Meretc01
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Meretc01 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:20 am

The economy is such at a vulnerable state that anything could make it crash even more.. the fact that we are burning more money with small business loans, stimulus checks and unemployment payments Is very dangerous..

Opening too soon or not soon enough is a line we are gonna have to see.. I don’t think waiting is the answer.. the gap between high class and low class is just going to get bigger.. the middle class and the small business owners can’t afford to not be open..
12Team 1QB 3 WR 2 RB 1 TE 2 Flex
QB: Tannehill, Wilson
RB: Swift, M. Carter, Etienne, Cohen, Mckissic, Dallas
WR: Jefferson, Pittman Jr.,T. Higgins, Reagor, Parker, Slayton, G.Davis, Cephus, A St.Brown, T. Marshall,
T. Johnson
TE: Schultz, Jonnu, Dissly, Sample
2022 Picks: 1st-2 3rd-1

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 am

Meretc01 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:20 am The economy is such at a vulnerable state that anything could make it crash even more.. the fact that we are burning more money with small business loans, stimulus checks and unemployment payments Is very dangerous..

Opening too soon or not soon enough is a line we are gonna have to see.. I don’t think waiting is the answer.. the gap between high class and low class is just going to get bigger.. the middle class and the small business owners can’t afford to not be open..
Probably not by accident.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ray Finkle
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Ray Finkle » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 am
Meretc01 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:20 am The economy is such at a vulnerable state that anything could make it crash even more.. the fact that we are burning more money with small business loans, stimulus checks and unemployment payments Is very dangerous..

There it is. Now the conversation can really get going. I am praying that the measures being taken are purely in the interest of our people’s health and safety. Nothing happens in this world without being influenced by an agenda or two but I think this is for the most part.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Ray Finkle wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 am

There it is. Now the conversation can really get going. I am praying that the measures being taken are purely in the interest of our people’s health and safety. Nothing happens in this world without being influenced by an agenda or two but I think this is for the most part.
There has been a slow whittling away on the middle class for quite some time. This thread may get moved to the off topic forum if we go down this path, though.

MattDeezy
Starter
Starter

Postby MattDeezy » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm

What does most of this have to do with Dynasty League Discussion?
Team
1Q|2R|3W|1T|2FLX - 12 Team PPR

QB: Love, Richardson, Cousins, Flacco
RB: CMC, Bijan, Ford, Mitchell, Pierce, Kendre, Tucker
WR: Deebo, Wilson, Olave, Puka, Flowers, Addison, Jeudy, Jameson Williams, Burks
TE: McBride, Kincaid, Fant, Bellinger

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:45 pm

MattDeezy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:20 pm What does most of this have to do with Dynasty League Discussion?
It doesn't.

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ckrumm24 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Delete this thread.
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Let's get back on track. I think we will have football this fall. But I don't think any sports league will have fans in the stands. Not until next summer at least. One football game where a few asymptomatic carriers attend could set off a whole new round of lockdowns otherwise. I think most states are going to have a ban on large events like that for the next year.

Or they could just play all the games in Georgia and Florida? Hah

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:21 pm

Things to chew on:

1. The gate is a small portion of revenue, but there is a giant headache of what to do with season ticket holders. Even if gatherings are legal, how many of you are going to want to rub elbows with 70,000 people in September?
2. The NFL cannot risk the lawsuit that would come with players having an outbreak. This means a protocol that needs to be Kevlar (maybe not completely "bulletproof" but as close as you can get).
3. Regardless of what your uncle who always ruins Thanksgiving tells you, things will not be "normal" until treatment and/or prevention can be distributed on a national scale.
4. The item above will take months at the going rate of response.
5. The average American lacks the intelligence and critical thinking skills to properly grasp the complexity of a watershed event like this.
6. A major flashpoint of the virus spread in Italy was a sporting event.
7. Far too many of us forget that we all talked ourselves into Bishop Sankey even though we were well aware he was a fraud.
8. Players are not going to want to be removed from their families for extended periods of time, and the NFLPA has a say in all this.
9. Even with a skeleton crew it takes a lot of people to put on a football game and televise it.
10. Dear god, please let there be a football season. I swear on my mother I will read books to deaf orphans every week for the rest of my life if there is a full season.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Re: CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Postby wickerkat1212 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:03 pm

All it will take is one dead major athlete. It's too soon. We already have the most deaths of any country in the world. We started too late, we have moved too slow, it's been a TERRIBLE job of reacting by the WH and Trump, and if we re-open now it will be a huge spike, quite possibly larger that the 62,000+ deaths we already have. (See 1908 Spanish Flu spike, more deaths than the war.) Sports will have to wait. They are the WORST environments. IF...IF...IF...we stay shut maybe we will be able to play sports this fall. Baseball may have to just not happen. I think football MIGHT still happen. IF we can get a vaccine sooner than later? Maybe. People can't stay home now as it is.

I'm actually happy/surprised they did the draft. That gives me hope. But we have to prepare for a season of no sports at all.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm

I'm discouraged by the talk of the NFL re-opening with fans in the stands. That seems like a complete disaster, and I wonder if the NFL is just posturing so they can keep season ticket holder money, hoping that those people will have the sense to stay home even if they paid for the ticket.

There really is a totally feasible path to a full NFL season, but it requires robust testing, and potentially each team socially isolating. I'm worried that the NFL isn't embracing this path.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon May 11, 2020 7:25 am

Deleted/edited my response because I don't think stirring the pot in online discussions helps and that's what my post was doing.