CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: CoVid-19, the NFL Draft and the 2020 NFL Season

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:04 pm

TimeWillTell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:44 pm
TimeWillTell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

X3
Respectfully, I think you’re all wrong. Look into what’s happening in Italy right now. Cancelling all elective surgeries because they don’t have enough vents, having to decide whose prognosis is too poor to even get intubated. This doesn’t happen with just a cold.

Buying all of your grocery store’s toilet paper is dumb. But we should be cancelling school and all major events before this gets worse. This isn’t panic, it’s preparedness.
As someone who keeps two weeks of food and water around in case of a natural disaster, I am a big fan of preparedness. But there is absolutely a line between panic and preparedness and we are flirting with it and probably have crossed it in some cases, with misinformation floating around and often propagated by the media. Ultimately, this illness is no different than any other viral illness and that the elderly and immunocompromise are at higher risk (usually children also but that doesn't seem to be the case in this). And while I am in favor of reducing the amount of large gatherings, we need to be careful to Not lose sight of the bigger picture. It’s all intertwined. For example, as more and more schools and other activities are canceled, that will put a strain on the working class folks including myself who gets up and goes to work every day to treat patients that need me. My wife and I both work, if school and daycare cancels, I have to stay home or she does and either way patients suffer. As more people panic buy basic items, others will go without which may lead to the degradation of basic sanitation and nutrition, Which in turn will lead to a whole host of problems. I don’t have a perfect answer or solution, but I think we need to tread carefully.

As far as what I personally believe, I believe as testing becomes more accessible and more widespread we will find more and more cases of positive patients with mild disease which will ultimately drive the mortality rate down. If I was a betting man I would guess the general mortality rate will be around 0.3% to 0.5%, which may be further reduced is a efficacious vaccination arises. We are already seeing the mortality rate go down worldwide (though Italy does seem to be an outlier). Time will tell.
The point about the economic outreach of school closing isn't something I really considered. That's a good point- child care is something we should consider.

As for this being like any other virus, you can say that Italy is an outlier, but how many other viruses have produced an outlier that severe in a developed country?
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:06 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Respectfully, I think you’re all wrong. Look into what’s happening in Italy right now. Cancelling all elective surgeries because they don’t have enough vents, having to decide whose prognosis is too poor to even get intubated. This doesn’t happen with just a cold.

Buying all of your grocery store’s toilet paper is dumb. But we should be cancelling school and all major events before this gets worse. This isn’t panic, it’s preparedness.
So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
I'm an emergency medicine physician, you half-wit.
Well then I stand corrected sir.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:08 pm

Cowboysfan33 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 pm
mild wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:34 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
Here is an expert, posted no further than a few messages ago in this thread, saying exactly how serious this is. Stay woke, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts
Exactly. Unfortunately, the “president” of the U.S. didn’t take it too serious at first, but now, he has no choice to. No coincidence, after the Florida Congressman tested positive and tons of outbreaks, maybe it should’ve been a top priority from the jump.
Hate to get political but you don't have a friggen clue what you are talking about. I am in the Clinical Research field an deal with Phase One Centers Globally and big Drug research companies globally.

This Administration has reacted to this virus faster than any in our history. To put in perspective the H1 virus killed over 1000 in this country before any action was taken. The government basically waited 6 months.

In less than 1 month this government was already restricting travel and putting together the best minds in the country working on it. Of course the media called Trump basically crazy for trying to get handle on the situation very early on.

Really upsetting hearing feedback from media outlets selling uninformed masses complete BS as if they know anything other than it's the orange mans fault.

Keep your misinformed politics out of the forums please.
Last edited by Ice on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:09 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:04 pm
TimeWillTell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 pm

As someone who keeps two weeks of food and water around in case of a natural disaster, I am a big fan of preparedness. But there is absolutely a line between panic and preparedness and we are flirting with it and probably have crossed it in some cases, with misinformation floating around and often propagated by the media. Ultimately, this illness is no different than any other viral illness and that the elderly and immunocompromise are at higher risk (usually children also but that doesn't seem to be the case in this). And while I am in favor of reducing the amount of large gatherings, we need to be careful to Not lose sight of the bigger picture. It’s all intertwined. For example, as more and more schools and other activities are canceled, that will put a strain on the working class folks including myself who gets up and goes to work every day to treat patients that need me. My wife and I both work, if school and daycare cancels, I have to stay home or she does and either way patients suffer. As more people panic buy basic items, others will go without which may lead to the degradation of basic sanitation and nutrition, Which in turn will lead to a whole host of problems. I don’t have a perfect answer or solution, but I think we need to tread carefully.

As far as what I personally believe, I believe as testing becomes more accessible and more widespread we will find more and more cases of positive patients with mild disease which will ultimately drive the mortality rate down. If I was a betting man I would guess the general mortality rate will be around 0.3% to 0.5%, which may be further reduced is a efficacious vaccination arises. We are already seeing the mortality rate go down worldwide (though Italy does seem to be an outlier). Time will tell.
The point about the economic outreach of school closing isn't something I really considered. That's a good point- child care is something we should consider.

As for this being like any other virus, you can say that Italy is an outlier, but how many other viruses have produced an outlier that severe in a developed country?
That’s a valid question, and I don’t have an answer to it. But we do see other countries in the same region and have been successful where Italy has failed. I don’t know anything about the Italian healthcare system or its shortcomings so I cannot comment further.

As it pertains to football and the NFL draft, I think it will probably be wise to limit the fans at the event. I feel we need to be careful and canceling schools and work without good reason, but I see little reason to risk transmission through large crowds for elective events such as sporting events or drafts or concerts for the time being. Sure, there will be local economic negative effects due to lack of tourism and fan spending but I think this will likely be worth it given the public health concern.
Last edited by TimeWillTell on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:10 pm

This thread is the breath of fresh air *cough cough* that I needed in the dog days of post combine/pre draft.

Btw, if you want to make CoVid-19 less scary, just sing it to the tune of Come On Eileen. You're welcome.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm

TimeWillTell wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:18 pm

X3

So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
I am a doctor. Almost everyone I know are doctors or nurses. Johnny and Orenthal's medical professional credentials must be janitors in a hospital or something because what they are posting here absolutely does not represent how the medical field feels about this in even the slightest bit.

No one with any medical knowledge is dumb enough to compare this thing to the flu. It has nothing to do with the flu. It's a horrible and dangerous false equivalency that is only repeated by the ignorant. It's comparing apples to suspension bridges.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium
QB: Herbert, Brady
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Jav Williams, Pierce, Drake
WR: Jefferson, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Hopkins, Peoples-Jones
TE: Kittle, Goedert

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 pm

Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 pm

I was waiting for it 😁. "Vents" was a dead giveaway for ED or ICU.
I'm more conscientious of avoiding jargon when I'm speaking than typing! Honestly man, I don't think people understand how close most major hospitals operate to their capacity when there isn't a pandemic going on. ER boarding is already a crisis. I'm worried because I don't see how our government/healthcare system are going to mimic the efforts in China and South Korea. I think we're trending more like Italy.

Since Dad yelled at us (sorry!) to bring this back to football, we really don't have enough data to know if this is going to drag into August/September.

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:18 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:14 pm

I am a doctor. Almost everyone I know are doctors or nurses. Johnny and Orenthal's medical professional credentials must be janitors in a hospital or something because what they are posting here absolutely does not represent how the medical field feels about this in even the slightest bit.

No one with any medical knowledge is dumb enough to compare this thing to the flu. It has nothing to do with the flu. It's a horrible and dangerous false equivalency that is only repeated by the ignorant. It's comparing apples to suspension bridges.
What? I never compared it to the flu. I had the same thought the same when Johnny B called it the Corona Flu, but didn't take it so seriously.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 team league

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:19 pm

I'd caution against this kind of statement. I doubt my friends in orthopedics or urology have an informed opinion on this. If you're not working in emergency medicine, internal medicine, critical care, or hospital administration/public health, then I would be surprised if this has affected your day to day practice. You can be a knowledgeable physician and just not be paying attention to this thing.

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:20 pm

jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:44 pm
mild wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:34 pm
jenkins.math wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:32 pm So we have a non-medical professional disagreeing with medical professionals about a medical issue. Pretty much sums up the entire mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done to this country. The media drives our country more than we care to admit. We are literally a bunch of sheep blindly following the sheep in front of us.
Here is an expert, posted no further than a few messages ago in this thread, saying exactly how serious this is. Stay woke, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVts
The only thing that is really concerning about this is the infectiousness of it. The rate of infection and transmission is alarming, yet the mortality rate at 3.5% pales in comparison to the 38% mortality rate the Ebola outbreak had. We didnt cancel things then did we? Did we stay away from work, school, etc? Nope. Bird flu, swine flu, SARS, MERS, all higher mortality rates. Yet this one has us shutting down. Like most diseases, those at the highest risk are the elderly or those with compromised immune systems.

Let's just all live in a bubble for the rest of our lives. I'm good being woke bro. Stay stocked up on toilet paper.
Again, apples to suspension bridges. Comparing it to any of those diseases is a 3rd grade talking point because it has nothing to do with them.

SARS, MERS, Ebola had much higher death rates but they did not spread easily. MERS topped out at 2500 cases and SARS at 8500.

All of the potential pandemics we've had in recent history have had either high infection rates with insanely low death rates (like H1N1) OR high death rates with very low infection rates. This is the first one that has both a high infection rate AND a relatively high death rate.

It's 100x as infections as SARS and 100x more deadly than H1N1.

That's before we consider that thusfar the hospitalization rate is 235x the rate of H1N1. H1N1 infected 61 million people in the USA and this looks every bit as contagious as that. If 61 million people get infected in the US that is 11.5 million hospitalizations. We don't even have ONE million hospital beds in this country.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium

TimeWillTell
Captain
Captain

Postby TimeWillTell » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:21 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:15 pm
Orenthal Shames wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:57 pm

I was waiting for it 😁. "Vents" was a dead giveaway for ED or ICU.
I'm more conscientious of avoiding jargon when I'm speaking than typing! Honestly man, I don't think people understand how close most major hospitals operate to their capacity when there isn't a pandemic going on. ER boarding is already a crisis. I'm worried because I don't see how our government/healthcare system are going to mimic the efforts in China and South Korea. I think we're trending more like Italy.

Since Dad yelled at us (sorry!) to bring this back to football, we really don't have enough data to know if this is going to drag into August/September.
Yes, the unfortunate reality is most hospitals operate in your capacity. I routinely will have patients waiting in the ED for 24 hours or more, sometimes even waiting on ICU beds. If we take a turn to the state of Italy, we will be in trouble.

I do, however, believe that some of the misinformation and suspect media coverage has harmed the medical communities cause at making sure this is taken seriously while avoiding panic.
2020, 2021, 2022 Champion!
12 Team 1QB 0.5 PPR 30 man roster
Start: 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex,1K,1Def
QB: Mahomes, Brady, Stafford
RB: Barkley, Taylor, Dobbins, Swift, Jacobs
WR: Chase, Jefferson, AJB, Lamb, DJM, Olave, Dotson, Mike Evans
TE: Hock, Dulcich, Chig, Fant, Jonnu, Hurst, Everett
K: Some guy
Def: Who knows
1.01, 1.03

Vcize
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Vcize » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:19 pm

I'd caution against this kind of statement. I doubt my friends in orthopedics or urology have an informed opinion on this. If you're not working in emergency medicine, internal medicine, critical care, or hospital administration/public health, then I would be surprised if this has affected your day to day practice. You can be a knowledgeable physician and just not be paying attention to this thing.
As an OB/GYN we were actually briefed this morning on the situation in Italy and how basically every doctor there is now an acting ER physician and how all non emergency care is being canceled so those doctors can treat Corona patients.

After what went down today I would imagine every practice that hasn't had that meeting already will be having it tomorrow morning and coming up with a plan for how they are going to handle it.
Last edited by Vcize on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 Team FFPC TE Premium

Johnny B. Goode
Starter
Starter

Postby Johnny B. Goode » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 pm

you can call me Dr. Johnny. At least that's the prefix on all of my business cards, email signatures, and what my patients call me...

This is all blown way put of proportion... its ridiculous

What is happening in China and Italy is not even the same stratosphere as the US health systems capacity and our governments support to fight this.

That and it seems a viable treatment is already being ramped up make fears in the US a complete waste of time

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:26 pm

The reality is while this is a different Virus it acts very much like the flu which can cause confusion.

Here is a pretty good basic article.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/ ... vs-the-flu
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 pm

Vcize wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:22 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:19 pm

As an OB/GYN we were actually briefed this morning on the situation in Italy and how basically every doctor there is now an acting ER physician and how all non emergency care is being canceled so those doctors can treat Corona patients.

After what went down today I would imagine every practice that hasn't had that meeting already will be having it tomorrow morning and coming up with a plan for how they are going to handle it.
Pediatric Critical Care here. So far only had Director emails, granted I haven't been in for a few days. Back all weekend so I'm sure there will be more to come soon if not already, some sort of triage algorithm for the ED, diaster preparedness plan, etc. Luckily we're coming to the end of RSV, Flu and Bronchiolitis season so that ought to free up some resources to some extent.
Last edited by Orenthal Shames on Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16 team league