Shark Tank Negotiations

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Shark Tank Negotiations

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:06 pm

One of my favorite parts of Shark Tank is the back and forth negotiations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfeQr10wd8

This guy got an offer that he found insulting. After stepping away to talk with a consultant, he ended the negotiations rather than countering. Sounds like some dynasty "negotiations".
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Shark Tank Negotiations

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:12 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:06 pm One of my favorite parts of Shark Tank is the back and forth negotiations.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DCfeQr10wd8

This guy got an offer that he found insulting. After stepping away to talk with a consultant, he ended the negotiations rather than countering. Sounds like some dynasty "negotiations".
I should have probably stepped away from negotiations like that in the past. One guy I played with was soooooooo aggravating. Always offered his bench players, 3rd and/or 4th round picks, and then a healthy amount of dynasty dollars for a starter on my team.

Maybe they passed the trade calculators he was using, but if you want a starter from me, then you better give me a starter back, or some nice prospects, or a 1st round pick....MAYBE a 2nd depending on the starter, but if I say 1st or 2nd, then don't just automatically default to a 2nd, because that's also insulting.

16 team league and he usually did well, so those 2nd round picks weren't all that valuable either.

DelawareRiverEagles
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Shark Tank Negotiations

Postby DelawareRiverEagles » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am

But since this is off-topic, I'll go ahead and talk about negotiations in general. I think walking away can be effective, but Mark Cuban apparently thinks that when someone says "no," then they are actually willing to make a deal. Typically, I find it better to ask "how" questions, like "how far apart are we?" "how can we make up the difference?" "how can I get A from you?" etc..

Although some books say calling out dirty tricks is a good idea, I haven't had much success with that. I think it's better to remain professional and let the other party know why you may have been offended or insulted. Otherwise, you are assuming they intentionally did it, which may not have been the case.