Flat earthers?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Jfever
Legend
Legend

Re: Flat earthers?

Postby Jfever » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm A while ago I wondered where this flat earth stuff was coming from, and from what I found it has religious roots. Basically, if we are to believe the earth is tiny and revolves around the sun and the universe is as it is, then we (people) are not that important. However, if the earth is not a tiny sphere traveling around the sun and instead everything around us is set up just for us, then we're important. Some flat earthers are just doing it to troll, others for $$$, and others will just believe any conspiracy because they don't like the deep state or whatever. But I think the core cause is religion. So basically right up your alley Fever.
DD, yeah, After looking into it, I too learned there were ties to some core religious points of view and how these beleifs don’t gel well with physics and math. In many cases that I’ve looked into they typically don’t come out and say much about religion though. The young earth outlook of fundamental creationism has many similarities to the flat earth movement way of thinking, in that it ignores science. People / adults are free to believe whichever reality they choose but when they push it on impressonable minds, I take issue. Flat earth though .... just seems brash. At first I though it was funny. Now though it scares me that there a people out there that are capable of buying into it and actually believing it. Dunning-Krueger effect is in play here I’m thinking.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:39 am

JFever wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:47 pm
Dynasty DeLorean wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm A while ago I wondered where this flat earth stuff was coming from, and from what I found it has religious roots. Basically, if we are to believe the earth is tiny and revolves around the sun and the universe is as it is, then we (people) are not that important. However, if the earth is not a tiny sphere traveling around the sun and instead everything around us is set up just for us, then we're important. Some flat earthers are just doing it to troll, others for $$$, and others will just believe any conspiracy because they don't like the deep state or whatever. But I think the core cause is religion. So basically right up your alley Fever.
DD, yeah, After looking into it, I too learned there were ties to some core religious points of view and how these beleifs don’t gel well with physics and math. In many cases that I’ve looked into they typically don’t come out and say much about religion though. The young earth outlook of fundamental creationism has many similarities to the flat earth movement way of thinking, in that it ignores science. People / adults are free to believe whichever reality they choose but when they push it on impressonable minds, I take issue. Flat earth though .... just seems brash. At first I though it was funny. Now though it scares me that there a people out there that are capable of buying into it and actually believing it. Dunning-Krueger effect is in play here I’m thinking.
Only a fraction of Creationists believe in the young Earth theory, and neither Creationism or the young Earth theory has anything to do with the flat Earth theory.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:39 am

I blame the pancake industry.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:51 pm

Frisbees maybe?

Still.... this is what happens when groups of people come up with their own facts and don’t have an understanding of basic principles like gravity, electro magnetic forces, and math. It’s fine to have your own opinion, but, facts are facts. One is not free to have their own facts. Just the way it is. Stay in school folks, stay in school. Don’t be afraid to read books either. Else, one day you may find yourself a member of a group like these flat earthers. Lots of gullibility out there. If it were the year 1200-1300 or so, sure. But....newsflash flat earthers, it’s 2019.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 am

JFever wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:46 am I actually do know several home schooled students. Often, I get approached and asked if I could help with Laboratory equipment, and random things toward that end. So, it may sound weird but, Yea, I know some home schooled kids. I however, am a public school Science educator. Anyway, Its sadly the same people who deny science that have those opinions on vaccinations. I personally wouldn't call it harmless. I'd compare this type of thinking it to a virus actually, a social lack of critical thinking virus. The longer rational thinking individuals who value evidence, logic, and critical thought, allow this to go, the worse it'll get I'm afraid. I'm sure some of it is trolling though. I too have heard that several prominent NBA players are buying into this and now,and, since they have a big platform, you can count on this BS spreading. People are so gullible... I think it is much more wide spread than the average dude on the street believes. I've had in depth conversations with students that take the idea serious. Flippin weird. :wtf:
I remember watching a Hard Knocks segment where Jared Goff didn't know that the sun set in the west. Good God man! Didn't you go to college for 4 years?

These Flat Earthers just need to get out more and watch a freakin' sun set... over the HORIZON ...not to some distant vanishing point. And if they live in a city and can't see the sun set, they could just look at a glass skyscraper as it's top catches the first light of the day BEFORE the sunrise and witness it moving down the building as the sun rises over the HORIZON!

It's hard to believe that someone who is smart enough to put these Flat Earth videos together would be dumb enough to believe it.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Well, I did a bit more digging on this. Low n behold, the roots do lye within the Bible. 60 verses total make some type of reference or connection to a flat earth covered by a dome / bubble, firmament, with an underworld beneath. Like a snow globe thing. Learned quite a bit more than I intended to on this. All I can say is it shocks me at what some can talk themselves into thinking / believing. The idea that this type of thinking persists in this day n age freaks me out.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:19 am

JFever wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 pm Well, I did a bit more digging on this. Low n behold, the roots do lye within the Bible. 60 verses total make some type of reference or connection to a flat earth covered by a dome / bubble, firmament, with an underworld beneath. Like a snow globe thing. Learned quite a bit more than I intended to on this. All I can say is it shocks me at what some can talk themselves into thinking / believing. The idea that this type of thinking persists in this day n age freaks me out.
Which verses? Would be interested to see a list

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:30 pm

dlf_jaronf wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:19 am
JFever wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:00 pm Well, I did a bit more digging on this. Low n behold, the roots do lye within the Bible. 60 verses total make some type of reference or connection to a flat earth covered by a dome / bubble, firmament, with an underworld beneath. Like a snow globe thing. Learned quite a bit more than I intended to on this. All I can say is it shocks me at what some can talk themselves into thinking / believing. The idea that this type of thinking persists in this day n age freaks me out.
Which verses? Would be interested to see a list
Me too

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 pm

Do this google search: “What bible verses talk about flat earth”. Easy as that. You’ll then see what I mean. Pretty easy to do this research if your motivated. If your on your phone perusing fantasy information, this stuff is just a few finger swipes away.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:43 pm

JFever wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 pm Do this google search: “What bible verses talk about flat earth”. Easy as that. You’ll then see what I mean. Pretty easy to do this research if your motivated. If your on your phone perusing fantasy information, this stuff is just a few finger swipes away.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:09 am

JFever wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:28 pm Do this google search: “What bible verses talk about flat earth”. Easy as that. You’ll then see what I mean. Pretty easy to do this research if your motivated. If your on your phone perusing fantasy information, this stuff is just a few finger swipes away.
Which verses did YOU read? Of course we can Google it, Jon. That's not the point here :roll:

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:50 am

The point is not what I read or didn't read, the point is that there is a connection there as to where the concept of flat-earth world view came from. I realize you as a christian may think you are under attack here. That isn't the case Jaron. You don't have to defend your beleifs here. This isn't the intent of my post and it wasn't from the beginning. As this unraveled, I too learned somethings I didn't know.

I personally didn't know that it was tied to any type of religion at all. I looked into this after I heard the 16th century world view was making a comeback. I was hesitant to give it the time of day and thought it was a joke. After looking into how / why the flat earth concept was picking up steam, I kept thinking it was some time of a kids being funny thing. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be as much of a joke as I thought it was. From what I've seen, it (Flat Earth support) has roots in very fundamental interpretations of cherry picking and taking a literal / figurative meaning of some of the bible's metaphoric writings. I honestly was not aware of that early on. I don't think many people are.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am

I completely agree on the point of cherry picking - that many "Christians" do this undermines the truths within the Bible. Too many people don't understand that there are metaphoric lessons, and either ignorantly defend their interpretations or attack them as unrealistic.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:37 am

dlf_jaronf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:56 am I completely agree on the point of cherry picking - that many "Christians" do this undermines the truths within the Bible. Too many people don't understand that there are metaphoric lessons, and either ignorantly defend their interpretations or attack them as unrealistic.
Agree whole-heartedly. :thumbup: I think we just come to our "truths" differently is all. (Not to get too off topic here) I also agree that there is tremendous value found within the Bible. It just isn't a history or biology text is all. Some great Life lessons, The sermon on the mount, etc. But, one must cherry pick around lots of absurd stuff. Either way, I came away from this investigation a little shocked.

I really didn't know that there was a connection between flat earth and fundamental / literal interpretations of scriptures.

Bottom line and to the point of my original post, in 2019 - to actually believe - the Earth itself is a flat and round disc - is a reach of monumental proportions.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:50 pm

I checked it out and the correlation is bogus.