Flat earthers?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Re: Flat earthers?

Postby dlf_jaronf » Wed May 01, 2019 7:43 am

azthecrow wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:50 pm I checked it out and the correlation is bogus.
Not surprising

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 am

:crazy:

Surprises me little. there is a strong tendency to see what one wants to see in their interpretations of that text. The correlation is blatantly obvious. Like... really, really, really obvious. Look back in any historical documentation and you'd see that the oldest mentioning of a flat earth is even in a metaphorical sense is .... the bible. Not sure how one could even argue against that. It isn't my opinion. It isn't opinion at all. Its embarrassing really. Not only does the bible many times refer to the Earth being flat. This is the very root of the movement that we are seeing today. I realize some here hold the bible in high regard. There are some good parts in there, I readily admit that. There is however, many many verses that are flat out ignorant, brutal, immoral, racist, and sexist. So, cherry picking is basically required for anyone in today's (year 2019) social and moral landscapes. Particularly so if one takes the side that hints toward morality coming from a supernatural being.

Here, I'll make it a touch easier for ya.

https://www.flatearthdoctrine.com/flat- ... criptures/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCqThIOc4QQ

https://www.philipstallings.com/2015/06 ... -from.html

enjoy.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Wed May 01, 2019 11:49 am

JFever wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:22 am :crazy:

Surprises me little. there is a strong tendency to see what one wants to see in their interpretations of that text. The correlation is blatantly obvious. Like... really, really, really obvious. Look back in any historical documentation and you'd see that the oldest mentioning of a flat earth is even in a metaphorical sense is .... the bible. Not sure how one could even argue against that. It isn't my opinion. It isn't opinion at all. Its embarrassing really. Not only does the bible many times refer to the Earth being flat. This is the very root of the movement that we are seeing today. I realize some here hold the bible in high regard. There are some good parts in there, I readily admit that. There is however, many many verses that are flat out ignorant, brutal, immoral, racist, and sexist. So, cherry picking is basically required for anyone in today's (year 2019) social and moral landscapes. Particularly so if one takes the side that hints toward morality coming from a supernatural being.

Here, I'll make it a touch easier for ya.

https://www.flatearthdoctrine.com/flat- ... criptures/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCqThIOc4QQ

https://www.philipstallings.com/2015/06 ... -from.html

enjoy.
Ah yes, the interpretations of amateurs with an agenda (buy my shirt for $25! I made a YouTube video!) :lol:

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am

Talk about amateurs with an agenda, I'm thinking that exact line of cause / effect - has a little to do with how some of this is viewed on both sides of the fence. Like I said earlier in this thread, I didn't know that the modern flat earth movement had roots that ran that deep. As it turns out the fundamentalist view by some religions than lean heavily on the Bible, is at the very core of this concept. If something is written down 2000 plus years ago by people with little to no scientific understanding of their world, under different social constructs, and it was originally intended as having a metaphorical angle, and then it is interpreted as having more than a metaphorical meaning in our modern times, it can be drastically different considering much of the book it originated from has been translated and re-translated then edited by political control to consolidate the uneducated / poor masses - multiple times. Tough really to take much from it literally or even historically. Anyway, the origin of the premise of the flat earth outlook is easy to track. It isn't complected or difficult to understand. The words are right there for any and all to see. Or, if you are so motivated, there is even more to see if you take the time to research it. I'm not saying at all that all sources of information that one finds on the internet are trustworthy. But, if you look objectively, you'll see the obvious trends and connections.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 pm

....and yet you still haven’t given any references from the Bible. I’ve read the Bible most of my life and I have never believed that the earth was flat.
Try this: Flip thru the pages and see what you can find. If you are motivated with a simple search you may be able to learn something. It is organized with book names, chapters, and verses. It is easy to find any information.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 am

Revelation 7:1, Job 37:3, Job 37:18, Mathew 4:8, Proverbs 8:27, Psalm 10:4, Isaiah 11:12, Isaiah 40:22, and I Samuel 2:8 are a few.

Like I said.... it is there if you look. I've spent a great deal of my life studying (and buying into) the bible as well. I was indoctrinated as a child, much like most are I'd assume. I was very active and involved in my church for nearly 3 decades. It wasn't till I was in my late 30's and many questions began to mount up, that I became educated enough, more self aware and less like a spoon fed follower. I questioned, and became more skeptical as I depended on critical thinking and evidence. I too have read much of the bible and many parts, multiple times. Because you read it / studied it, and don't buy into a flat earth concept - I think is a good thing. When I see these passages, I think more metaphorical, rather than literal meaning. My issue isn't at all really with the bible, rather, how it is interpreted so differently with such strong conviction. Bottom line, the connection is there. If you yourself don't buy into the flat earth, I applaud you. But, the roots of the concept are sprinkled in the very book many are taught to cherry pick from.

I feel as if people tend to get defensive as if they are personally being attacked when discussions like this arise. Thats too bad because when people get defensive, it makes it tougher to think clear & objectively.

Let me assure you, my point is not to personally attack an individuals beliefs. Rather, to show that the very concept of the Flat Earth (along with all other imposed meanings or messages - is derived from the ancient, non scientific minds of nameless scribes from 2000 plus years ago. These people knew next to nothing of astronomy, geology, meteorology, medicine, etc, and their social tendencies and norms were vastly different than anything most of us today would call normal, acceptable, or even legal. So.... there you have it.

I'm sure you see my point.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 am

azthecrow wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 6:05 pm ....and yet you still haven’t given any references from the Bible. I’ve read the Bible most of my life and I have never believed that the earth was flat.
Try this: Flip thru the pages and see what you can find. If you are motivated with a simple search you may be able to learn something. It is organized with book names, chapters, and verses. It is easy to find any information.

lmfao - seriously..... :wtf: I firmly am of the mind set now, after your "try this statement", - that you my friend, do not know - what you don't know.

#1, it isn't organized - at least not in the sense that there is a lot of rhyme or reason.
#2, it isn't "easy" to find just "any" information. # I've found it's glossary and index to be quite lacking.

I'd assume a die hard, blinded by faith bible supporter, who claims to have "read" the bible most of his life, would be a touch more familiar on the subject. I am glad to hear though that you don't take it as literally as some, and your not as extreme as some that actually do think the earth is flat. So, there is that.

looks as if there is a chance that the Dunning-Kruger effect applies here.