What's your story?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
hjernazian
Captain
Captain

Re: What's your story?

Postby hjernazian » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 am

Hi all - can't believe I haven't posted on this thread until now.

I'm a 34 year old Psychologist by trade - specializing in sports psychology and having worked with several D1-D3 programs here in southern California across multiple sports, from volleyball and baseball, to yes, football. I've been playing fantasy football since 2009, which is not too long ago. I've only allocated the time to pursue dynasty for two years now, and am in one startup filled with personal friends that I take very seriously. We have several group threads in our texts that don't go a day without hearing from someone.

Basically, there came a point - due to my professional investment in psychology/sports and personal investment in fantasy - where redraft leagues became boring. I've went from being in 3-4 a year to possibly 0 next year. The problem with dynasty for me always was the time allocation it required. I'm happy to say that after several internships, jobs, etc. I am now at a place which involves me being more selective with my leisure time - and no better avenue outside of my wife and child to pursue this in.

I thoroughly enjoy the time I spent paroozing on the website or talking to you all in the forums. I feel dynasty is conversational in nature and hope to be giving back as well as receiving input and perspective.
Team 1

Superflex, 1.0 point PPR

QB: P. Mahomes $5, C. Newton $20, B. Mayfield $2, D. Brees
RB: D. Johnson $54, N. Chubb $4, T. Coleman $4, D. Henry $14, I. Crowell $3, J. Richard $9, J. Adams $3
WR: A. Robinson $41, T.Y. Hilton $24, J. Landry $25, C. Davis $4, C. Godwin $4, D. Hamilton $3, K. Cole, S. Shephard $10
TE: E. Engram $4, D. Njoku $2, K. Rudolph $3, V. McDonald $4
K/DEF: Irrelevant

2019: 2.04, 2.05, 2.06, 3.06, 4.06

Team 2

Start: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE - 25 man roster + 4 TAXI

QB: T. Brady, M. Ryan, N. Foles
RB: K. Hunt, C. McCaffrey, D. Johnson, T. Coleman, S. Ware, D. Williams, Ito Smith, D. Sproles
WR: AJ Green, A. Robinson, A. Thielen, E. Sanders, G. Tate, S. Roberts
TE: J. Reed, J. Butt, M. Roberts, V. Davis, M. Williams
TAXI: S. Darnold, D. Fountain, D. Cain, Jaleel Scott

oban14
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby oban14 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 pm

I have been in many fantasy football leagues, but the only two I'm in at the moment I've been in since 2004 or so. One is a redraft, one is a nine man keeper (no lost draft picks or limits or anything), and finding a good resource for dynasty valuations has been difficult for me until I found this place.

Obviously I'm not looking for super deep TEs buried on a depth chart but I've found most people treat keeper leagues like redraft leagues - I tend to treat mine like a dynasty league.

Been reading for a while and finally decided to register. Will probably pay if not for a yearly sub, at least a monthly during the draft season. Like most people I like RBs and WRs, don't like anyone over 30 (I try to trade away just about any player at age 29) and every time I've kept a TE or QB I've regretted it for one reason or another.

My team was a serious force at one point but time marches on and I spent much of this past season trading for future draft picks, being far too active on the waiver wire, and basically looking to fill my roster with lottery tickets outside of my starting lineup.

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:32 pm

4th year Dynasty owner with local friends. We had been playing redraft together for 12+ years. Ten of us created the Dynasty league. I have one championship and a runner up finish. I got nicknamed the Troll because of my trading prowess. I love the nickname.

Dynasty is great...get to build an empire thru trades and drafting rookies. Perfect.

Live in Tampa with wife and 2 kiddos. Grew up in chicago so....Go Bears.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed, Bateman
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.07, 2.06, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: Achane, K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 0.0 (Blutarski)
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

hockeyBjj
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby hockeyBjj » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm

TheTroll wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:32 pm 4th year Dynasty owner with local friends. We had been playing redraft together for 12+ years. Ten of us created the Dynasty league. I have one championship and a runner up finish. I got nicknamed the Troll because of my trading prowess. I love the nickname.

Dynasty is great...get to build an empire thru trades and drafting rookies. Perfect.

Is it even fun playing in a league where your trading partners are that much idiots?

You have arguably the #1, 2, and 3 best WRs. With Bell, Zeke, Kamara you have 3 top 5 or 6 runningbacks, and then you have the 1.1 and 1.3 on top of that? Where's the challenge when you can fleece owners like this?
Team 1- 10 team ppr, 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flx, 1D, 1K
2022: 1-8
Finishes: 6th, 6th, 1st, 5th, 6th, 9th
QB: Lamar Jackson, Purdy
RB: Bijan, Dobbins, Achane, Charbonnet, Algier, McBride, waiver trash
WR: JSN, QJ, Addison, Dotson, Skyy Moore, Jameson Williams, Hyatt, T Dell, Boutte, Skowronek, Quez Watkins, Greg Dortch, waiver trash
TE: Hockenson, F Monroe, Juwan, Musgrave
D/K: Patriots, Vikings, Saints, Dicker

picks-
2024- 1,1,1,1,2,2,2,3,3,4,5,5
2025 1,1,1,2,3,4,5

team 2- 12 team SF, .5PPR, .5TE boost, 1QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
2022: 8-1
Finishes: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd :wall:
QB: Ljax, GenoD Jones, Minshew, Dobbs
RB: CMC, Stevenson, A Jones, Chubb, A Mattison, D cook, Perine, Mckinnon,
WR:Tyreek, Diggs, C Kupp, D Adams, Keenan Allen, Lockett, Gallup, A Lazard, Hodgins
TE: Kelce, LaPorta, Irv Smith,
No picks until 2026 5th rounder lol

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 pm

I have been at this a bit. My first draft was when I was in high school, I took Dan Marino with my first pick...... I remember waiting for the USA Today Monday edition so I could computes stats. I also commissioned baseball, so was a long night... was slow to Dynasty though, only been at it for about 5 years.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

TheTroll
Legend
Legend

Postby TheTroll » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:49 am

hockeyBjj wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm
TheTroll wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:32 pm 4th year Dynasty owner with local friends. We had been playing redraft together for 12+ years. Ten of us created the Dynasty league. I have one championship and a runner up finish. I got nicknamed the Troll because of my trading prowess. I love the nickname.

Is it even fun playing in a league where your trading partners are that much idiots?

You have arguably the #1, 2, and 3 best WRs. With Bell, Zeke, Kamara you have 3 top 5 or 6 runningbacks, and then you have the 1.1 and 1.3 on top of that? Where's the challenge when you can fleece owners like this?

Lol...this is a league of lifelong friends and don’t worry, they have voiced their displeasure on how everything has worked out for me...don’t call me “the Troll” for nothing.

I got OBJ / Bell in the startup... Kamara last draft at 2.06. the rest thru trades

I got NUK, Ajayi 1.09 last summer and gave up 2017 1.01.

Zeke was a great long negotiation last summer too. basically got Zeke and his 2018 first for Dez, Ajayi, D Martin, 2.01. This owner turned out to be snake bitten by injuries so his first turned out to be 1.03 this year.

The 1.01 (for Barkley) was at the time of the 2017 live draft. I gave up D Cook (drafted him 1.04) and then flipped him for 1.10 and a 2018 first.

In the end, it’s easy to look back at trades after seeing the results and say who won and lost but at the time they were all fair deals.

I didn’t win the championship this year as I faced Gurley and Hunt in the finals. Hopefully 2018 will be my year.
Team 1
Dynasty 10 team, 22 roster + 6 Taxi, PPR
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex, 1 TE, K, Def

QB: Love, Goff, Fields
RB: Bijan, Montgomery, Kamara, Ford, K Herbert, Mattison
WR: Jefferson, Olave, London, Ridley, Sutton, Shaheed, Bateman
TE: Kincaid, Kittle, Freiermuth
K: Tucker, Sanders
DEF: CLE

Taxi: Charbs, K Mitchell, Demercado, QJ, D Douglas, W Robinson, Hooker

Picks
2024: 1.07, 2.06, 3.06, 3.09, 4.09
2025: 1, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2
Dynasty 10 team, 22 man roster + 6 Taxi, PPR, SF and TEP
1QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, 1 S Flex

QB: Allen, Goff, Watson, Jones
RB: Achane, K Williams, B Robinson, Chubb, Ford, Mostert, A Gibson, Dillon, Pierce, Zeke
WR: Olave, T Hill, Addison, D Adams, C Watson, D Johnson, G Davis, OBJ
TE: Kincaid, Kmet, Goedert

Taxi: Willis, DTR, Mims, K Miller, Demercado, Vaughn

Picks
2024: 0.0 (Blutarski)
2025: 1, 3, 4, 5
2026: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

BigBawseRoss
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BigBawseRoss » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 am

TheTroll wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:49 am
hockeyBjj wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:14 pm

Lol...this is a league of lifelong friends and don’t worry, they have voiced their displeasure on how everything has worked out for me...don’t call me “the Troll” for nothing.

I got OBJ / Bell in the startup... Kamara last draft at 2.06. the rest thru trades

I got NUK, Ajayi 1.09 last summer and gave up 2017 1.01.

Zeke was a great long negotiation last summer too. basically got Zeke and his 2018 first for Dez, Ajayi, D Martin, 2.01. This owner turned out to be snake bitten by injuries so his first turned out to be 1.03 this year.

The 1.01 (for Barkley) was at the time of the 2017 live draft. I gave up D Cook (drafted him 1.04) and then flipped him for 1.10 and a 2018 first.

In the end, it’s easy to look back at trades after seeing the results and say who won and lost but at the time they were all fair deals.

I didn’t win the championship this year as I faced Gurley and Hunt in the finals. Hopefully 2018 will be my year.
you contradicted yourself just a few sentences prior...

also Nuk=1.01 even last season

kamara at 2.06 tells me you hold your rookie draft very early or as other suggest your leaguemates are not up on their research
team 1
12 team, 1 pt for 4 rec, 0.1 per rush
1qb, 3 rb, 4 wr, te, k, 4 idp
Dak , Herbert
Achane, Breece Hall, KW3Kyren,Ford, Miller, Spiller, z evans, singletary
J Jefferson, Diggs, DK, D Smith Puka, C Watson, E Moore
Njoku , HH, Engram

2024 picks
1,3,4,5,5,6,7 (all late mostly)

team 2
12 team .5ppr
qb, 2 rb, 2 wr, te, flx,flx,
Fields, Dak
Ford,Mixon, Javonte, Mostert, Chubb, Spears
Hopkins, Evans, g Wilson Mingo, shaheed, Jamo
Kelce,McBride, Chig,

team 3
14 team sf, even scoring idp to offense (rb scores highly too)
Josh Allen, A Rich, Foles, Rudolph
Bijan, Charbs, Spears, Ebner
J Williams, G Wilson, C Watson, Flowers, J Addison, Tillman
Kincaid, Kolar, Ruckert, Fergeson

Kenny Clark, josh allen, jaelen phillips, felix a-u and a bunch of fluff and rookie fliers at idp

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Nice moves Troll. Good luck next year!

BillDavies
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby BillDavies » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:16 am

My name is Bill Davies. I have been playing fantasy football since 1984, when I was a Junior in High School. Back then, the only annual pre-draft information was a book by a guy named Cliff Charpentier that we would read cover to cover 800 times in the month of August each year.

In the early 1990s I ran a very small information sheet that aggregated data from multiple sources. It failed, in large part because by the time subscribers got their newsletters in the mail it was too late to use the information. I remained involved tangentially in the fantasy football information sharing field, involving myself with many online chat groups such as those on the early America Online. Through those, I got to know some of the industry giants, such as Joe Bryant and Ian Allan. In fact, I even worked for several years as the Commissioner Guru for FootballGuys.com - their dispute resolution board. With a JD, it made me feel like I was a real life judge... although I usually made my rulings in a T-shirt and underwear and not a robe.

Over the last 13 years I have spent much of my free time trying to build a league that closely resembles the NFL. Our league is loosely based around the Collective Bargaining Agreement. We have 38 player rosters, including up to 8 players on the Developmental Squad, and a $51,000,000 salary cap with salaries, bonuses, free agency, etc... We are most of the way there, but always looking to tweak and improve our rules.

One of the reasons I got involved in the DLF website is to offer to exchange rules with other DFL members in the hopes of sharing ideas with one another and spurring interests with the introduction of new ideas. Our current rule book is 34 pages long, but organized well enough to make it a relatively easy read. We manage rosters and our contract creation tools on an Excel spreadsheet that has dozens of tabs.

If you have any interest in seeing what we have in order to replicate it or take ideas from it, please let me know your email address and I will send the rules and rosters to you. I would like to receive your rules in return. If you have other documents, like rosters, that help illustrate your rules in effect, then I would love to see those, too. Feel free to email me at Commissioner@GAFFL.com.

Nice meeting everyone!

BillDavies
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby BillDavies » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 am

Oh, dang. Now that I read other comments I think I accidentally posted in a private league. If so, I'm sorry to have bored you with my story. Feel free to delete it!

dlf_jaronf
Administrator

Postby dlf_jaronf » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:48 am

BillDavies wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:17 am Oh, dang. Now that I read other comments I think I accidentally posted in a private league. If so, I'm sorry to have bored you with my story. Feel free to delete it!
Not at all, you're in the right place. Both in this thread and by joining the dynasty community. Welcome!

BillDavies
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby BillDavies » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Thank you, Jaron. Just trying to get my sea legs about me here.

RCS
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RCS » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 pm

I have been doing dynasty for 6 years now, jumping up from redraft and obviously love it.

The team in my sig is one of my 4 this year and obviously biggest rebuild.

Smoking Guns
Starter
Starter

Postby Smoking Guns » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 pm

I have been playing fantasy for about 17 years but got into dynasty 4 years ago. I am in several leagues with a co-owner but he prefers the redraft and I prefer the dynasty so it works out. I love the offseason as mush as the regular season it seems. My wife asks why I am on the laptop for football when the season is over and I tell her this is when you win championships.

I live about 30 minutes north of Dallas and actually prefer watching college over NFL. Not sure why but probably due to growing up watching more college.

Looking forward to the sight - just joined this weekend. I really like all of the message board posts and how active it is. The previous sight I used has really lost all of that.
Last edited by Smoking Guns on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:12 am

I’m an Episcopal priest who left active ministry about fifteen years ago in protest to a number of disturbing things that were going on in my church. I didn’t return to active ministry for four years. During that time Sunday’s became an emotionally difficult day, and I needed something to help take my mind off what I had always done on that day. I had always liked football in general ... but then my wife (of all people) was invited into a league where she worked and wanted some help running her team.

Well ... all these years later I’ve averaged about a dozen leagues a year (she still is in three of her own) of all types except IDP. Lots of championships, lots of fun, home leagues, online, as commissioner ... the same as you all. Average buyins about $300 or so. Pays for vacation most years.

One other fun part ... at the church where I’m now serving everyone looks forward to coming to the rector’s man cave, where there are three large screen TVs and a full bar. It’s a fun church.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith