My Fourth Short Story Collection

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

My Fourth Short Story Collection

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:30 am

Some of you may be aware that I'm an author. My fourth short story collection, SPONTANEOUS HUMAN COMBUSTION, is out on 2/22/22. Got a nice blurb from Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club). It's a mix of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Thought some of you might enjoy the stories.

PRE-ORDERS: https://www.amazon.com/Spontaneous-Huma ... 1684427541

In this new collection, Richard Thomas has crafted fifteen stories that push the boundaries of dark fiction in an intoxicating, piercing blend of fantasy, science fiction, and horror. Equally provocative and profound, each story is masterfully woven with transgressive themes that burrow beneath the skin.

• A poker game yields a strange prize that haunts one man, his game of chance now turned into a life-or-death coin flip.

• A set of twins find they have mysterious new powers when an asteroid crashes in a field near their house, and the decisions they make create an uneasy balance.

• A fantasy world is filled with one man’s desire to feel whole again, finally finding love, only to have the shocking truth of his life exposed in an appalling twist.

• A father and son work slave labor in a brave new world run by aliens and mount a rebellion that may end up freeing them all.

• A clown takes off his make-up in a gloomy basement to reveal something more horrifying under the white, tacky skin.

Powerful and haunting, this collection dares you to examine what lies in the darkest, most twisted corners of human existence and not be transformed by what you find.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: My Fourth Short Story Collection

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:08 am

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!!
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:22 am

ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:08 am Congratulations and thanks for sharing!!
Thanks! If you're curious about my writing style, I have some stories that are reprinted online for FREE here:

https://whatdoesnotkillme.com/2009/08/12/onlineshorts/
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:49 pm

Thanks - I'll be sure to take a look once I have less time devoted to FF. I appreciate how hard it is to be a writer / it is just like a NFL player in that you're competing with that many people just to have a taste much less a career from just writing.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:14 pm

ArrylT wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:49 pm Thanks - I'll be sure to take a look once I have less time devoted to FF. I appreciate how hard it is to be a writer / it is just like a NFL player in that you're competing with that many people just to have a taste much less a career from just writing.
Awesome. Yeah, I hear you, FF just started. I've got five leagues going. If you want a shorter one, check out "Asking For Forgiveness" it's only 1,800 words and was nominated for a Pushcart Prize, and long-listed for Best Horror of the Year.

https://www.menacinghedge.com/summer201 ... thomas.php
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:34 pm

Just got a starred review in Publishers Weekly which is a pretty big deal. My first time!

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-68442-755-0

D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:16 pm

Congratulations! That is good to hear! :)

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:17 am

ArrylT wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:16 pm Congratulations! That is good to hear! :)
Thanks!
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:03 pm

GETTING GREAT REVIEWS AND BLURBS:

A Tor Nightfire Most Exciting Horror Book of 2022

"In range alone, Richard Thomas is boundless. He is Lovecraft. He is Bradbury. He is Gaiman." —Chuck Palahniuk

"Fans of science fiction, horror, and dark fiction will relish immersing themselves in this collection for all its grit, lyricism, and unquestionable profundity." —Library Journal (starred review)

"Equally devastating and refreshing, this is a collection to be savored by horror fans and literary readers alike." —Publisher’s Weekly (starred review)

"A feast for the senses, this collection is simultaneously lush and terrifying. Horror and dark fantasy fans are sure to find many delights within." —A.C. Wise, author of Wendy, Darling

"Nothing will prepare you for Richard Thomas' stories, for the brutality, for the intense white-hot horror, for the blood-soaked gorgeous beauty of his writing. Reading his fiction is like sinking into a fever dream, filled with an alien-yet-familiar wondrousness to it all that makes you long to be back inside those seductive terrors long after they've ended. I was not prepared: I can't wait to return." —Livia Llewellyn, author of Furnace

"Thomas masterfully combines noir and horror. He paints the beauty and the meanness of human life with an ease that belies how damned hard a trick it is to accomplish. Spontaneous Human Combustion is a bottle of the top shelf stuff—smooth, but it burns. Burns all the way to the bottom." —Laird Barron, author of Swift to Chase

"By turns poetic and brutal, this is a stellar collection." —Lucy A. Snyder, author of Sister, Maiden, Monster

"Richard Thomas brings us expertly crafted tales steeped in violence and beauty. Each richly detailed story teases the reader with equal parts emotion and stoicism. Spontaneous Human Combustion is truly a work of dark wonder." —Mercedes M. Yardley, Bram Stoker Award–winning author of Little Dead Red

"The stories in Spontaneous Human Combustion sizzle and burn. Richard Thomas is a narrator of the human condition at its most feral, and a master at the damnation game." —Usman T. Malik, award-winning author of Midnight Doorways: Fables from Pakistan

"Richard Thomas's Spontaneous Human Combustion is a marvelous monster made of blood, anger, fear, guilt, grief, hunger, and pain. These gritty, blood-soaked stories pull readers into the darkness of the single black heart beating at the core of horror and noir, and somehow makes them love every second of it." —Gabino Iglesias, author of Coyote Songs

"Richard Thomas gives us a timely and eloquent reminder that, no matter how far we run, we take our darkness with us." —Priya Sharma, author of Ormeshadow

“The stories in Richard Thomas’s Spontaneous Human Combustion marry a dark noir sensibility with unusually wide-ranging horror and fantasy tropes. The results are impressive, not only because of their originality, but in the way he is able to elicit our empathy for the grotesque sufferings of deeply flawed characters torn between impulses of petty revenge and sacrifice, creation and destruction. The language here is dense and richly evocative, achieving at times a transgressive and surreal quality reminiscent of Rimbaud in its beauty and brutality.” —Steve Rasnic Tem, author of Figures Unseen: Selected Stories and Thanatrauma

“Dark, but rarely bleak. Punishing, but never sadistic. Thomas’s stories drag you into the light as often as they knock you into the abyss. A necessary collection.” —Doug Murano, Bram Stoker Award–winning editor of Behold!: Oddities, Curiosities & Undefinable Wonders

“If you dig Black Mirror or any surrealist, neo-noir fiction, then you definitely need to check this out, because this would be right up your alley.” —Jenny Ashford, 13 O'Clock podcast

"Richard Thomas is a seasoned professional . . . He is such a fantastic writer with so much depth and subtext in every single paragraph. Every single line has punch to it . . . This collection is damn near perfect!" —Edward Lorn, author of Life after Dane

"Imaginative and propulsive, the stories of Spontaneous Human Combustion confront universal human fears in supernatural, futuristic worlds." —Foreword Reviews

"Transgressive, dark and masterfully written—with Spontaneous Human Combustion, Thomas forces the reader to run the gamut of human emotions. With beguiling and devastating prose one can’t help but see the beauty in the macabre morsels Thomas has given us to consume. A truly breathtaking collection." —Ross Jeffery, Bram Stoker Award–nominated author of Tome

“In this collection, Richard Thomas leads us through a vivid sequence of ever-darkening dreams. Strange, surreal, terrible and beautiful—I didn't want to wake.” —Karen Runge, author of Doll Crimes

“Raw and shocking, each story takes us deeper into the human psyche and our darkest instincts. Favorites included 'Ring of Fire' and 'Requital,' however, the strength of the collection overall make this a disturbingly satisfying read.” —Kathleen Kaufman, author of The Lairdbalor, Hag, and the Diabhal Trilogy

"With Spontaneous Human Combustion, Richard Thomas bravely leads us into the darkest recesses of the human soul. As always his writing is superb—precise, evocative, and moving." —Kate Jonez, author of Lady Bits

"Richard Thomas isn't just writing stories in his new collection, he's taking that part of yourself you look away from, the dark thoughts and forgotten nightmares, and showing them to you with the clarity and power only our best working writers possess. Take it from a guy who's actually been on fire—Spontaneous Human Combustion delivers." —Fred Venturini, author of The Heart Does Not Grow Back and To Dust You Shall Return

"Soaked in dread and wonder, Richard Thomas' work has a way of worming deep into your heart to take hold like a beautiful sickness. And true to form, every piece in his magnificent Spontaneous Human Combustion hits like a fever dream you wish would never end." —Matthew Lyons, author of The Night Will Find Us and A Black And Endless Sky
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:52 pm

That is great news! I still plan to read some of it in depth - but simply behind in reading goals. Either way I am very glad that your work is getting the praise it deserves.

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:18 pm

ArrylT wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:52 pm That is great news! I still plan to read some of it in depth - but simply behind in reading goals. Either way I am very glad that your work is getting the praise it deserves.
Thanks, appreciate it!
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:25 am

Congratulations!
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, Tre Tucker, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
IR: Mike Williams (WR), Joey Bosa (DL)
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:15 am

Anteaters wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:25 am Congratulations!
Thanks! 2/22/22 is just around the corner.
D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:30 am

D3:

D4:

Superflex 1:

Superflex 2:

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:01 am

If you're on Twitter I'd be happy to retweet for exposure.