How many QBs go in the first round?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: How many QBs go in the first round?

Postby Never Veto1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:13 pm

I think once the FA and the Draft get settled we'll have a better idea. Hopefully a couple skilled position players land in ideal spots, so that it can push at least one of the top 4 into the later round of the 1st. At least that's what I'm hoping for, but might have to trade into the 1.07/1.08 spot.
20 Team Superflex (1/2 PPR / 6pt TD's)
11 Starters - QB 1(2), RB 2(4), WR 2(5), TE 2(3)

QB - Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson
RB - Christian McCaffrey, JK Dobbins, Tony Pollard, Jaylen Warren
WR - Odell Beckham, Adam Thielen, Allen Robinson, Donavan Peoples-Jones
TE - Mark Andrews, Jonnu Smith

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:12 pm

In an effort to take the high road and igonre the noise not relatied to this thread, Mac Jones really seems to be gainig momentum, I see him as pretty limited. Am i missing something I need to look back at?
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:17 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:12 pm In an effort to take the high road and igonre the noise not relatied to this thread, Mac Jones really seems to be gainig momentum, I see him as pretty limited. Am i missing something I need to look back at?
Good pocket presence and accuracy but the biggest thing is A+ anticipation. He isn't super athletic but he isn't Trask level immobile either and throws a pretty nice deep ball even if his arm isn't as strong as the top 4 QBs

For fantasy I still have him as QB5 but he is well worth a late 1st in superflex IMO

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:18 pm

murphysxm wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:12 pm In an effort to take the high road and igonre the noise not relatied to this thread, Mac Jones really seems to be gainig momentum, I see him as pretty limited. Am i missing something I need to look back at?
I feel exactly the same way. It's hard to trust QBs in that offense and I just don't see anything special. Help me understand.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:19 pm

Lumps wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:18 pm
I feel exactly the same way. It's hard to trust QBs in that offense and I just don't see anything special. Help me understand.
Can you explain what makes you think he's so limited?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:50 pm

I think his mobility is limited, but he's a damn good passer. Kind of reminds me of Kirk Cousins or a scaled down Joe Burrow.

The problem with Jones is that Alabama had one of the best offensive lines in football, which helps cover for someone with poor mobility like him. How does Jones do behind a line that isn't as talented? How does he do without a WR like Smith getting open at will?

Burrow had to answer similar questions and responded well, but I don't think Jones has the mobility that Burrow has.

But either way, I think Jones could be a guy that ends up starting a bunch for teams, but is never a true franchise guy, kind of like Cousins.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:26 am

Sriracha wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:19 pm
Lumps wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:18 pm
Can you explain what makes you think he's so limited?
He is an accurate passer, very accurate. I just don't see anticipation, mobility and having wide open WR's with no pressure makes you look better.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:52 am

This Cam Newton signing makes me feel like the Pats are an absolute lock now to go Qb at pick 15. Do we think a guy like Trey Lance is available there? I was thinking they would go for jones, but why resign Cam (a qb with a totally different style of play from jones) if they are gonna take Jones. If cam is gonna be a mentor for a year he would be better off being a mentor to Lance. Correct?

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:19 am

I may be in position to draft one of the non-Lawrence QBs in a superflex league. I keep flip flopping on wether I like Wilson or Fields more, it changes depending on what time of the day you ask me. We draft before the NFL draft so I can’t wait until placement for a tie breaker.
I guess my question is, does anyone view any of the QBs as the clear 2nd best option behind Lawrence? Or are Fields, Wilson, and Lance all grouped in the same tier for you, pre landing spots? I’m not sure why I can’t get behind Lance, he just doesn’t excite me.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:26 am

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:19 am I may be in position to draft one of the non-Lawrence QBs in a superflex league. I keep flip flopping on wether I like Wilson or Fields more, it changes depending on what time of the day you ask me. We draft before the NFL draft so I can’t wait until placement for a tie breaker.
I guess my question is, does anyone view any of the QBs as the clear 2nd best option behind Lawrence? Or are Fields, Wilson, and Lance all grouped in the same tier for you, pre landing spots? I’m not sure why I can’t get behind Lance, he just doesn’t excite me.
I see Wilson as vastly ahead of Lance or Fields. The challenge is he is probably in NY which gives me pause. New regime though. At the end of the day I think the great QB's chnage a team, I see him in that category

And to the ealier post, Mac Jones to the Pats seems like it is meant to be

Pet_Smith
Starter
Starter

Postby Pet_Smith » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:07 am

I could definitely see 6,or maybe even 7 QB's go in round 1. But it could also be as low as 3 - I can't wait to find out how it plays out though!
Dynasty - 9th year, 12-team, Standard scoring, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLEX, 1K, 1DE/DT, 1LB, 1CB/S - 25man roster / 6 Taxi Squad
'17 Champ, '18 Runner Up, '23 rebuild

QB Watson, A Richardson, O' Connel (TS)
RB Gibbs, Akers, Dillon Carter, Bigsby, Chase Brown, Mcintosh, Tucker, Hull (TS)
WR Metcalf, DJ Moore, Addison, Meyers, Van Jefferson, Collins, Claypool, Mingo (TS), Hyatt (TS), Wilson (TS)
TE Higbee, Freirmuth, Otton (TS)
K Joseph
DE/DT Hunter
LB Franklin Simmons
C/S James

1.01, 1.04

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:22 am

Patsfan86 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:52 am This Cam Newton signing makes me feel like the Pats are an absolute lock now to go Qb at pick 15. Do we think a guy like Trey Lance is available there? I was thinking they would go for jones, but why resign Cam (a qb with a totally different style of play from jones) if they are gonna take Jones. If cam is gonna be a mentor for a year he would be better off being a mentor to Lance. Correct?
They'd have to trade up for sure IMO

I see it as:

Definitely going QB (if not getting Watson)
Jaguars
Jets
Panthers

Leaning towards going QB
Falcons
49ers

Then throw in teams like the Broncos that could go QB and WFT/Bears that will be aggressive in trading up

If the Pats stay at 15 I think all top 5 QBs are off

Something like

1. Lawrence Jaguars
2. Wilson Jets
4. Fields Falcons
7. Lance WFT
8. Jones Panthers

Something like Watson to the Panthers might push Jones down but even then SF is there

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:35 am

murphysxm wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:26 am
sugbear65 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:19 am I may be in position to draft one of the non-Lawrence QBs in a superflex league. I keep flip flopping on wether I like Wilson or Fields more, it changes depending on what time of the day you ask me. We draft before the NFL draft so I can’t wait until placement for a tie breaker.
I see Wilson as vastly ahead of Lance or Fields. The challenge is he is probably in NY which gives me pause. New regime though. At the end of the day I think the great QB's chnage a team, I see him in that category

And to the ealier post, Mac Jones to the Pats seems like it is meant to be
Man, I'm gonna start searching your posts because we think VERY similarly.

Wilson >>>>>> Rest (Fields might put up some good fantasy #s if he goes to SF though)

Jets new staff made them one of the teams Russell would consider. It's a new day there and we can't let the stink of Gase color our vision. Look at the Dolphins with a good staff.

The Belichick/Saban relationship is strong and Jones DOES just seem to fit.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:37 am

I don't think those 5 QBs go top 8 picks. The need for QB is there for each team, I still don't see it. 4 possibly, not 5. I could see Mac to NE though mid 1st

@sug
I have 1.03 in a 2QB league. Fields or Wilson are probably my pick, landing spots pending. I like Lance, but that's too early to get him. I do think he has similar ceiling to Wilson, possibly higher than Fields. He can sling it. I could see trading back depending on my offers. I need QB pretty badly, but Lance does intrigue me if he's a mid-late 1st in SF

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:03 pm

Trey Lance pro day:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/trey-lance-s ... highlights

Kid looks the part. Big arm. Nice touch. Can look away and quickly retarget.

Seemed to me that he throws at his target rather than where the target will be - some throws behind receivers or waiting for them to break out of their cuts before cutting loose. Can he throw receivers open? Not sure after watching that.

Lot of wasted steps after initial drop. I’d like to see him plant and throw rather than recapture his platform every time.

Throwing against air has such limited value, but it’s better than nothing after his lost season.

Just my thoughts.