How many QBs go in the first round?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: How many QBs go in the first round?

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:50 am

Lumps wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:41 am
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:56 am
Ice wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:15 pm

That does make a lot of sense. Personally think it may be a mistake but it is quite logical
Nah. Your instinct here is right. It’s a mistake.

Here’s why- by not trading Garoppolo, you’re saying that he’s so much better than not only your rookie QB, but also Cam, Jameis, Dalton, Trubisky, Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Tyrod, and every other available placeholder that he tangibly changes your odds of winning a super bowl this year. This isn’t Alex Smith, who had no market in 2017 and was still tradable in 2018. They could have traded Garoppolo this off-season and next off-season the whole league will know that they’ll have to cut him.

If they keep Garoppolo and fall short of a Super Bowl, they screwed up. If they win the Super Bowl, but Garoppolo loses the job to their new starter, they screwed up. By keeping him, they’re betting on an extraordinarily narrow outcome.

Finally, there’s no evidence that sitting a QB their rookie year is some magic formula for future success. For every Mahomes there are two Wilsons, Herberts, Daks, Kylers, Jacksons, Allens, etc. who are doing just fine after taking over as rookies. I can see the argument for why you would want to avoid throwing a rookie QB into a bad situation (looking at you, Miami) but SF has a solid line and good receivers. Just start the rookie.
I see both sides. They know what they have in Jimmy. They are primed to win now. Don't rock the boat. I think this is probably where their mind is on this?

1. If it's Lance they want to groom him, not throw him in the fire, have him crack, and it be a busted pick.
2. Jimmy could rehab his value this season after getting hurt. Yes, everyone knows they will need to move him next year, but they know that now basically. Jimmy's value isn't so hot at the moment, but perhaps he brings something more (or at least the closes the gap on value loss) next year to make point 1 work?
1. There’s no evidence that this is helpful to QB development, but let’s just pretend there is for a minute- I at least see the merit in the idea of not wanting a rookie to develop bad habits paying before they are ready. There have been tons of available QBs you could have signed and started. It truly only matters if SF thinks Garoppolo is so good that having him instead of Cam/Fitz/Dalton etc he meaningfully impacts their Super Bowl chances this year, and if they believe that, why are they trading all these picks to replace him? I think the trade up is a good idea; an above average QB on a rookie contract is like discovering plutonium. Rip the bandage off and trade Jimmy.

2. The Patriots were quoted as having tried to trade for Garoppolo like a week and a half ago. Right now they have to “move on” from him, and sure that undercuts trade leverage, but they don’t need to cut him. Next year they will have to cut him- I’m not sure anybody is going to want to trade for him when they all know he’s going to be available as a free agent.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:55 am

Don't really disagree with any of what you said. Likely comes down to risk assessment/tolerance.
Edit: And whether BB tried to get Jimmy back for a 7th. :lol:

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:03 am

Lumps wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:55 am Don't really disagree with any of what you said. Likely comes down to risk assessment/tolerance.
Yeah! I mean that’s the part we don’t know- I mentioned when the news broke that maybe he “wasn’t available” because New England offered a bag of deflated footballs and an all expenses paid trip to Juniper, Florida’s finest $20 rub and tug joint in exchange for Garoppolo.

Do you think everybody calls him “Jimmy” or “Jimmy G” because nobody is sure how to spell “Garoppolo?”
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:13 am

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:03 am
Lumps wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:55 am Don't really disagree with any of what you said. Likely comes down to risk assessment/tolerance.
Yeah! I mean that’s the part we don’t know- I mentioned when the news broke that maybe he “wasn’t available” because New England offered a bag of deflated footballs and an all expenses paid trip to Juniper, Florida’s finest $20 rub and tug joint in exchange for Garoppolo.

Do you think everybody calls him “Jimmy” or “Jimmy G” because nobody is sure how to spell “Garoppolo?”
I think people just love to abbreviate. MVS, ESB, JJ, Hendy, heck I even saw ARSB the other day here lol

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:23 am

joeday wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:11 pm
Madadamus wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:50 pm Right now there is 4, I don't really see Jones getting in there unless he goes much higher then what he's been mocked. Daniel Jones and Josh Allen didn't go in the 1st round in recent years.

If someone goes to Atlanta though, I could see only 3 going in the first round.

As it stands though, 9 would be on the outside looking in.
yeah if only 3 QBs go, there is Pitts, 3 top WRs (I think?), and 2 RBs so I feel like 9 may be the cut off?
Yep. And as I don't NEED a QB in my Superflex, I'm going to be trying to trade back into the back of the first round to get guys like Bateman and/or Pitts.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:03 pm

After his pro day today, I need to re-evalute my take on Fields. He is much more physically gifted than I anticipated
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:06 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:03 pm After his pro day today, I need to re-evalute my take on Fields. He is much more physically gifted than I anticipated
I am okay with taking a shot in fantasy (though not in the range he will likely go in my leagues) but for real football his physical talent was never my question

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:33 pm

murphysxm wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:03 pm After his pro day today, I need to re-evalute my take on Fields. He is much more physically gifted than I anticipated
Not so sure Pro days should change your mind. Pro Days are pretty much a minimum standard throwing against air, in shorts, and in a very scripted environment.

He is very athletic. Think his upside could be as high as Lamar Jackson. He should be a legit starter for years in the NFL.

This is a strong class with a shot at being 6-8 deep when all is said and done.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:18 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:33 pm
Not so sure Pro days should change your mind. Pro Days are pretty much a minimum standard throwing against air, in shorts, and in a very scripted environment.

He is very athletic. Think his upside could be as high as Lamar Jackson. He should be a legit starter for years in the NFL.

6-8 deep? Who do you like beyond Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Jones? The rest are not really on my radar yet. Any insight? Mond is a name I've heard a bit.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:27 pm

wickerkat1212 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:18 pm

6-8 deep? Who do you like beyond Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance, and Jones? The rest are not really on my radar yet. Any insight? Mond is a name I've heard a bit.
Davis Sills and Kyle Trask

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Mond and Trask are looking like day 2 guys. Mills and Newman have gotten hype at different points as well.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm

I didn't see it yet, but allegedly Mac Jones looked bad today? I know Smith was going to MAYBE run some routes and Waddle wasn't at all...

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... a-pro-day/

https://twitter.com/iggysportstalk/stat ... 1708419075

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:04 pm

jjleurquin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Mond and Trask are looking like day 2 guys. Mills and Newman have gotten hype at different points as well.
Yes on all of them. Of course they are Day 2 guys since day one is just round 1 but I could see one of those going toward the end of round 1 to get that 5th year option. I like Mills and Mond quite a bit as future starters.

As far as starting a rookie QB or holding them back for development like SF is talking; It is critical to remember QB at this level is very complex and players pick up concepts at very different speeds. Players like Dak and Wilson flourished as rookies so it's possible but in reality Coaches are a conservative lot so they would much rather go slow.

Now days QB's seem to start pretty early as there are a lot of college concepts in the NFL and if pushed coaches will dumb down the playbook when needed.

Let say Mills or Mond gets drafted by Washington or the Pats in round 2 or 3 as an example; Either may start week 1 for Washington because their system is pretty simple compared to NE but by week 6 one could be the Pats starting QB.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:11 pm

Ice wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:04 pm
jjleurquin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Yes on all of them. Of course they are Day 2 guys since day one is just round 1 but I could see one of those going toward the end of round 1 to get that 5th year option. I like Mills and Mond quite a bit as future starters.

As far as starting a rookie QB or holding them back for development like SF is talking; It is critical to remember QB at this level is very complex and players pick up concepts at very different speeds. Players like Dak and Wilson flourished as rookies so it's possible but in reality Coaches are a conservative lot so they would much rather go slow.

Now days QB's seem to start pretty early as there are a lot of college concepts in the NFL and if pushed coaches will dumb down the playbook when needed.

Let say Mills or Mond gets drafted by Washington or the Pats in round 2 or 3 as an example; Either may start week 1 for Washington because their system is pretty simple compared to NE but by week 6 one could be the Pats starting QB.
Mills reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins coming out. I could see him emerge as a starter somewhere down the line.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:26 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:11 pm
Mills reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins coming out. I could see him emerge as a starter somewhere down the line.
Agree 100% and probably sooner than later. In a SF he should be drafted early especially if he lands on Pats, Bears, WFT, Panthers, or Saints.