How many QBs go in the first round?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: How many QBs go in the first round?

Postby Sriracha » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:05 pm

Bronco Billy wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:03 pm Trey Lance pro day:

https://www.nfl.com/videos/trey-lance-s ... highlights

Kid looks the part. Big arm. Nice touch. Can look away and quickly retarget.

Seemed to me that he throws at his target rather than where the target will be - some throws behind receivers or waiting for them to break out of their cuts before cutting loose. Can he throw receivers open? Not sure after watching that.

Lot of wasted steps after initial drop. I’d like to see him plant and throw rather than recapture his platform every time.

Throwing against air has such limited value, but it’s better than nothing after his lost season.

Just my thoughts.
He was accurate throwing to his left and down the middle of the field.

Throws to his right were highly volatile.

Going to be interesting to see if he can clear that area of his game up as one of the reasons he's being hyped up is his arm talent being able to stretch the field that defenses need to cover.

Most QBs that struggle with one area of the field don't get substantially better, though..

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:40 pm

Apparently NE called on Jimmy G before signing Newton, and were told he wasn’t available.

Feels like if they were planning on drafting somebody they’d be more inclined to at least listen to offers.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:51 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:40 pm Apparently NE called on Jimmy G before signing Newton, and were told he wasn’t available.

Feels like if they were planning on drafting somebody they’d be more inclined to at least listen to offers.
Or they fully intend on Jimmy being the QB this year because they don't want to start a rookie QB when they have legitimate SB aspirations, but do want their own Patrick Mahomes who they can sit and develop for a year and then take over in year 2. Fields and Lance are both pretty realistic trade up targets for them, and most believe they could use some extra development (Lance especially) before being thrown into the fire, and what team is better suited for that kind of scenario than SF?

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:14 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:51 pm
OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:40 pm Apparently NE called on Jimmy G before signing Newton, and were told he wasn’t available.

Or they fully intend on Jimmy being the QB this year because they don't want to start a rookie QB when they have legitimate SB aspirations, but do want their own Patrick Mahomes who they can sit and develop for a year and then take over in year 2. Fields and Lance are both pretty realistic trade up targets for them, and most believe they could use some extra development (Lance especially) before being thrown into the fire, and what team is better suited for that kind of scenario than SF?
It seems like a really narrow window between “believes Garoppolo is so valuable that they won’t listen to offers this year” and “likely to trade up and spend a first round pick on his replacement.”

Believe me, I’d like to see Fields or Lance land in SF too, but if this rumor is true I don’t think it’s likely.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:34 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:14 pm

It seems like a really narrow window between “believes Garoppolo is so valuable that they won’t listen to offers this year” and “likely to trade up and spend a first round pick on his replacement.”

Believe me, I’d like to see Fields or Lance land in SF too, but if this rumor is true I don’t think it’s likely.
We saw a similar thing happen with Derek Carr and the Raiders. They put them on the block for a bit to get a feel for what these QBs could return in a trade, and when they decided their value to their team far outweighed what teams were willing to give them they 'committed' to them for the off-season.

If one of the premier QB talents make it to LV they're probably drafting them, same for SF.. but I expect those guys to be long gone by pick 12.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:45 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:14 pm

Not really. Trading Jimmy G to NE would mean they wouldn't be getting a QB in return, and then that would telegraph to the league they will definitely be in the QB market in the draft. So then they run the risk of having no QB this year if they trade Jimmy and don't draft a QB, which completely eliminates their SB hopes possibly for several years because they won't have a great path to acquiring one next year either. Where as keeping Jimmy means it's not a guarantee they are after a QB in the draft, and aren't screwed if they don't get one. Jimmy has a lot more onfield value for them than anything he would fetch in return in a trade, so why trade him and then open up a glaring hole on your roster that they aren't guaranteed to be able to fill? And even if they did trade him and still end up with Fields or Lance, they still are probably going to be better this year with Jimmy at QB than a rookie. There's just not much for them to gain in trading him until they atleast have a definite replacement on the roster.

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Sorry I stepped away for a little...maybe pour one out for someone who drafted Rosen in the first round! Lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (11 – 3)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – 🏆
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – 🥈

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (7 – 7)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – 🏆
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – 🥈

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow | Kyler Murray
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2023 Regular Season Record: 218 – 106

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:05 pm

One thing that seems more plausible than “we won’t discuss trading a guy we’re planning on moving on from after next year” is “we won’t discuss trading a guy who is a key part of our Watson negotiations.”

I agree that it makes a lot of sense for SF to draft a replacement then phase out Garoppolo; I just think it’s a weird move to not take the draft capital you could get for him now if that was the case.

I should also mention that we don’t actually know what happened. The report indicates that he was “unavailable” but that could mean NE offered a 3rd and a 6th and SF told them to get lost.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:51 pm

Jimmy G wins games. When he is not on the field the 49's lose games. They may draft and develop a QB but the reality is he is a very good QB when on the field. This team is really good so they should be reluctant to trade him this season.

No question health has been an issue but none of these injuries are career threatening.

Looks like the better time to move him is after this season IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:19 pm

To get this back on track, and I know I had some divergence in here, but I now think 5 may go in the top 15? Will get 6 is the question.

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:33 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:19 pm To get this back on track, and I know I had some divergence in here, but I now think 5 may go in the top 15? Will get 6 is the question.
I really doubt it.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:36 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:51 pm Jimmy G wins games. When he is not on the field the 49's lose games. They may draft and develop a QB but the reality is he is a very good QB when on the field. This team is really good so they should be reluctant to trade him this season.

No question health has been an issue but none of these injuries are career threatening.

Jimmy G's team carries him to wins yes

With a good QB on the 49ers we are ringless last year

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:42 pm

Lumps wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:19 pm To get this back on track, and I know I had some divergence in here, but I now think 5 may go in the top 15? Will get 6 is the question.
Only if Chris Simms gets a GM job between now and then.

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:43 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:42 pm
Only if Chris Simms gets a GM job between now and then.
I mean I'll take a bet on 5 going in the top 15

6 in the 1st round probably isn't happening though

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:57 am

StripesOfKC wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:36 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:51 pm Jimmy G wins games. When he is not on the field the 49's lose games. They may draft and develop a QB but the reality is he is a very good QB when on the field. This team is really good so they should be reluctant to trade him this season.

Jimmy G's team carries him to wins yes

With a good QB on the 49ers we are ringless last year
Reality Check

49's record with and without Jimmy G
24-9 with
7-26 without

Easy to say the team carried him right up until you see the same team's record without him.

Not saying they shouldn't upgrade at all but today he is by far the best they have so ejecting early would not be that smart. Given their players under contract and future cap position they will probably draft a QB round 1 this season and develop him.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts