How many QBs go in the first round?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: How many QBs go in the first round?

Postby StripesOfKC » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Sriracha wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:11 pm
Ice wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:04 pm
jjleurquin wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Mond and Trask are looking like day 2 guys. Mills and Newman have gotten hype at different points as well.
Yes on all of them. Of course they are Day 2 guys since day one is just round 1 but I could see one of those going toward the end of round 1 to get that 5th year option. I like Mills and Mond quite a bit as future starters.

As far as starting a rookie QB or holding them back for development like SF is talking; It is critical to remember QB at this level is very complex and players pick up concepts at very different speeds. Players like Dak and Wilson flourished as rookies so it's possible but in reality Coaches are a conservative lot so they would much rather go slow.

Now days QB's seem to start pretty early as there are a lot of college concepts in the NFL and if pushed coaches will dumb down the playbook when needed.

Let say Mills or Mond gets drafted by Washington or the Pats in round 2 or 3 as an example; Either may start week 1 for Washington because their system is pretty simple compared to NE but by week 6 one could be the Pats starting QB.
Mills reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins coming out. I could see him emerge as a starter somewhere down the line.
Do you see him as a day 2 pick?

I kind of feel like Trask is only QB6 on preseason/inseason hype and the NFL might see him like a Jake Fromm

jjleurquin
Captain
Captain

Postby jjleurquin » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:09 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:54 pm

Yes on all of them. Of course they are Day 2 guys since day one is just round 1 but I could see one of those going toward the end of round 1 to get that 5th year option. I like Mills and Mond quite a bit as future starters.

As far as starting a rookie QB or holding them back for development like SF is talking; It is critical to remember QB at this level is very complex and players pick up concepts at very different speeds. Players like Dak and Wilson flourished as rookies so it's possible but in reality Coaches are a conservative lot so they would much rather go slow.

Now days QB's seem to start pretty early as there are a lot of college concepts in the NFL and if pushed coaches will dumb down the playbook when needed.

Let say Mills or Mond gets drafted by Washington or the Pats in round 2 or 3 as an example; Either may start week 1 for Washington because their system is pretty simple compared to NE but by week 6 one could be the Pats starting QB.
Mills reminds me a lot of Kirk Cousins coming out. I could see him emerge as a starter somewhere down the line.

I kind of feel like Trask is only QB6 on preseason/inseason hype and the NFL might see him like a Jake Fromm
Yea I like Trask. I think he’s getting knocked big time because of his last game, but all of the people he’d been playing with and practicing with all year had declared for the draft and didn’t play. Before that he was in the 1st round conversation. Something I don’t remember Fromm being in. If Trask goes round 4 I’ll probably be off of him only drafting him in round 4 of superflex rookie drafts. Right now he seems to be going early 3rd of rookie drafts and I’m happy taking him there. He just doesn’t have the rushing upside otherwise he’d probably be an easy 2nd.

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:31 pm

StripesOfKC wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:54 pm

At this point he’s expected to go on Day 2.

Of course, so was Cousins the year he came out. I wouldnt worry too much about his draft capital. He was the #1 QB recruit out of highschool and dealt with a lot of injuries. When he was healthy, he was remarkably better than previous starter KJ Costello who will likely make a roster sometime this offseason.

I hope he slips to the early 4th round like Cousins did so people forget about him. Higher level stash than Jacob Eason last year, imo

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:18 am

Lumps wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:52 pm I didn't see it yet, but allegedly Mac Jones looked bad today? I know Smith was going to MAYBE run some routes and Waddle wasn't at all...

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2021/ ... a-pro-day/

https://twitter.com/iggysportstalk/stat ... 1708419075
Seeing a bunch of jokes and bad reviews, but I watched it, and I thought he looked good. Dunno. Maybe Wilson/fields looked so much better?

Draft pedigree is gonna tell the truth here I think, and it’s significant that QB may go 1-2-3 and a couple more in the first, which is not common at all.

I’ll go ahead and plant my flag too, this is by far the best QB class I’ve seen in a decade and a half,
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 am

Ice wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:26 pm
Agree 100% and probably sooner than later. In a SF he should be drafted early especially if he lands on Pats, Bears, WFT, Panthers, or Saints.
Ice, I really value your opinion here. How do you rank your top ten QBs in this rookie class, and where do you like taking them?

For example:

Lawrence 1.05+
Fields 1.07+
Wilson 1.09 +
etc.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:31 am

wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 am
Agree 100% and probably sooner than later. In a SF he should be drafted early especially if he lands on Pats, Bears, WFT, Panthers, or Saints.
Ice, I really value your opinion here. How do you rank your top ten QBs in this rookie class, and where do you like taking them?

For example:

Lawrence 1.05+
Fields 1.07+
Wilson 1.09 +
etc.
Today I have them rated like below but not quite finished evaluating.

My 5 first all have round 1 grades in SF; Lawrence 1.1 easily. The others are dependent on location today but I would take my first 3 top 6. All 8 by early round 3 at the latest.

Lawrence 1.7 range in one QB 12 team leagues; next 4 in rounds 2-4 depending on location but only 5 at most will even be drafted in one QB leagues.

Lawrence
Wilson
Jones
Lance
Fields

Mills
Mond
Trask

I get many will think Jones will be rated too high but I think he has great field vision and processing speed. Think his brain works faster than Fields feet and that processing speed and throwing motion are huge factors in rating a QB. Love his touch throws as well.

I like all of the first 5 QB's. Granted QB's are hard to evaluate so many will have very different opinions.

Lance is a player I am going to target as a very high upside player but there is more risk with him given body of work and competition. Fields concerns me the most but still like him. He locks on too much IMO.

Mills is a player that could also explode in a year or two. He can spin it with authority.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

wickerkat1212
Legend
Legend

Postby wickerkat1212 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:26 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:31 am
wickerkat1212 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:03 am

For example:

Lawrence 1.05+
Fields 1.07+
Wilson 1.09 +
etc.
Today I have them rated like below but not quite finished evaluating.

My 5 first all have round 1 grades in SF; Lawrence 1.1 easily. The others are dependent on location today but I would take my first 3 top 6. All 8 by early round 3 at the latest.

Lawrence 1.7 range in one QB 12 team leagues; next 4 in rounds 2-4 depending on location but only 5 at most will even be drafted in one QB leagues.

Lawrence
Wilson
Jones
Lance
Fields

Mills
Mond
Trask

I get many will think Jones will be rated too high but I think he has great field vision and processing speed. Think his brain works faster than Fields feet and that processing speed and throwing motion are huge factors in rating a QB. Love his touch throws as well.

I like all of the first 5 QB's. Granted QB's are hard to evaluate so many will have very different opinions.

Lance is a player I am going to target as a very high upside player but there is more risk with him given body of work and competition. Fields concerns me the most but still like him. He locks on too much IMO.

Mills is a player that could also explode in a year or two. He can spin it with authority.
Awesome, thanks. With Watson in trouble, I may need to take a QB in a 1 QB league, and trying to anticipate who might be there at 2.07. ADP has Lawrence and Fields going by then, but the rest on the board.
D3:
QB—Allen RB—Kamara, Jacobs, Edwards, Ford, Warren WR—Lamb, Olave, DJM, Puka, Harrison, TILLMAN, Marshall, Jefferson TE—Ferguson, Schoon, Likely, Smith, Washington KRAFT PK—Prater DEF—BAL

D4:
QB—TLaw, JimmyG, Tannehill, AOC RB—BIJAN, Conner, Gainwell, Gainwell, HULL, ZMoss, Chandler, McLaughlin, Murray WR—Jefferson, Hill, Diggs, Adams, Allen, TILLMAN, Boyd, Woods, HUTCHINSON, DOUGLAS TE—Kelce, Kmet, Schultz, Parham PK—Butker DEF—PIT

Superflex 1:
QB—Mahomes, Rodgers, Mayfield, Howell RB—BIJAN, Kamara, Allgeier, Singletary, Mostert, BRob, Warren, HULL, GRAY WR—Chase, DJM, Devonta, Myers, Hardman, Reynolds BOUTTE TE—Kmet, Smith, Hurst, Ertz, KRAFT PK—Elliott DEF—PHI

Superflex 2:
QB: Goff, Cousins, Wentz, White; RB: BIJAN, BRob, ZWhite, Hines, TDP, McLaughlin WR: Higgins, JSN, JWilliams, DJM, RMoore, DOWNS, Atwell, TILLMAN, BOUTTE, SMoore, PCampbell, DPJ, ATP, CJONES TE: Trautman, Ferguson, KRAFT, Hooper