Superflex Dynasty expansion ...

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Jazepp
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Superflex Dynasty expansion ...

Postby Jazepp » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:13 am

I'm currently in a 10 team Superflex Dynasty with deep rosters ( 14 starters and 11 bench ) we're looking to expand to 12 teams but there's talk of wanting to go to 14 or even 16 teams , I believe the perfect number of teams in a superflex is 12 . Has anybody had any experience with larger ( 14 or 16 team SF leagues ) ? .. pros and cons ?

TheBelgian
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Superflex Dynasty expansion ...

Postby TheBelgian » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:40 pm

12 team is definitely the most popular, but personally I’m not against a 14 or 16 team SuperFlex. I love competition and when you have 14-16 owners that understand what makes a solid team and are always attempting to get better its a lot of fun. I’m extremely interested in the details of implementing that expansion. Are you protecting players on other rosters? How many? How are the new teams drafting? Free agent draft for expansion teams? What position do they draft in rookie drafts?

Dirty Mike&the Boys
Captain
Captain

Re: Superflex Dynasty expansion ...

Postby Dirty Mike&the Boys » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 am

12 is optimal, I think anything past that runs into serious issues regarding QB's. There is already quite a bit of QB hoarding going on in my 12 team league which is in the midst of year 3.

The only way I see an expansion to 14 (or even 16) working, is if owners are only allowed to protect 'X' amount of QB's. Let's say a team in the 10 man league has 4 NFL starting QB's rostered. That strength is going to exponentially increase once the league expands, unless 1 or 2 of those QB's are taken away.

An expansion to 12 shouldn't require any stipulations as far as QB's are concerned, but if you guys ever expand beyond 12, you are going to want to limit protection of QB's in the event of an expansion draft. If you expand to 14+, I'd consider limiting owners to only being able to protect 2 QB's during the expansion draft. Owners will have to make a choice of either protecting their vet or prospect. This will also trigger pre-expansion draft trading, like we saw in the NHL (so owners don't lose QB's for nothing).

Under these circumstances, a minimum of 12 starting QB's will be available during the expansion draft (10 owners keep 2 QB's each). The remaining QB's who go unselected in the expansion draft should be implemented into the rookie draft, imo.
12 TEAM SUPERFLEX, TE Premium, 25 man rosters
QB - | Rodgers | Herbert | Mills
RB - CMC | Chubb | Dobbins | Keaontay Ingram
WR - McLaurin | Deebo | Waddle | Gabriel Davis | Elijah Moore | Mooney | C Ridley | Jameson Williams | Pickens | Alec Pierce | Wan'dale Robinson | Justyn Ross | B Edwards
TE - M Andrews | Friermuth

2023 Picks: 1st round(2), 2nd round(2), 3rd round (2)