How many QBs is too many in a 10 Team SF?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
MichaelScarn
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

How many QBs is too many in a 10 Team SF?

Postby MichaelScarn » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:55 am

I'm in a 10 team SF, 30 man roster league.

How many QBs it too many? I'm currently rostering 8 :think:

Rodgers/Mayfield/Cousins/Haskins/Herbert/Stidham/Hill/A Smith (IR)
10 Team SuperFlex PPR
QB: Herbert/Cousins/Fitz/Z Wilson
RB: Barkley/Dobbins/Gibson/Dillon/Etienne/Edmonds/Michel/Lindsay/Kelley/T Jones/Evans/Hyde
WR: Robinson/Moore/Sutton/Boyd/Gallup/Slayton/Harry//R Moore/Eskridge/A St. Brown/Collins
TE: Goedert/Thomas/Njoku/Pitts

10 Team Standard
QB: Herbert/Hurts
RB: A Jones/Sanders/Akers/Hunt/Fournette/McKissic/Snell
WR: Hill/Hopkins/Evans/JuJu/Thielen/Parker/Shenault/Hamler/Edwards/D Smith/E Moore
TE: Fant/Goedert/Ertz/Howard

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Re: How many QBs is too many in a 10 Team SF?

Postby moishetreats » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:02 pm

There is no such thing as too many -- but that goes for any position.

Think of it this way. You have your starters, your backups in case of byes and injuries, and your bench.

As long as the first two categories are set, then your bench should simply be players who have a real chance at a value increase. In my Dynasty league, for instance (Team 1 in sig.), Larry Fitzgerald is available. I won't pick him at any draft slot. I don't need him as a starter, and he wouldn't be a backup. I'd rather take one of dozens of players who have a real chance of jumping a tier or two.

So, back to QBs. If you starters and backups are set, then stock up your bench with upside players, regardless of position. If that turns out to be QBs, then go for it. (In fact, that's pretty smart in an SF league, IMO!)
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

MichaelScarn
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby MichaelScarn » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:34 pm

moishetreats wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:02 pm There is no such thing as too many -- but that goes for any position.

Think of it this way. You have your starters, your backups in case of byes and injuries, and your bench.

As long as the first two categories are set, then your bench should simply be players who have a real chance at a value increase. In my Dynasty league, for instance (Team 1 in sig.), Larry Fitzgerald is available. I won't pick him at any draft slot. I don't need him as a starter, and he wouldn't be a backup. I'd rather take one of dozens of players who have a real chance of jumping a tier or two.

So, back to QBs. If you starters and backups are set, then stock up your bench with upside players, regardless of position. If that turns out to be QBs, then go for it. (In fact, that's pretty smart in an SF league, IMO!)
Thanks for your insight! I'm pretty much on the same boat, we're entering the second season of this league. I was only curious because I have the most rostered in our league.

I believe I only drafted 4 during our startup draft last year, but I got Stidham & Lock off the wire and stashed them (Lock on IR) mid-season. I got Herbert at 2.05 then proceeded to trade Lock for a projected early '21 1st. Then scooped Hill & Smith off the wire after our rookie draft. Some teams only have scraps at the position and I'm just waiting for them to come calling during the season.
10 Team SuperFlex PPR
QB: Herbert/Cousins/Fitz/Z Wilson
RB: Barkley/Dobbins/Gibson/Dillon/Etienne/Edmonds/Michel/Lindsay/Kelley/T Jones/Evans/Hyde
WR: Robinson/Moore/Sutton/Boyd/Gallup/Slayton/Harry//R Moore/Eskridge/A St. Brown/Collins
TE: Goedert/Thomas/Njoku/Pitts

10 Team Standard
QB: Herbert/Hurts
RB: A Jones/Sanders/Akers/Hunt/Fournette/McKissic/Snell
WR: Hill/Hopkins/Evans/JuJu/Thielen/Parker/Shenault/Hamler/Edwards/D Smith/E Moore
TE: Fant/Goedert/Ertz/Howard

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 am

Hill and Smith as QB's meh, they're not adding much "tradeable" value.

6 starting QB's is probably on the higher end than most, which isn't bad per se, but I think you have to recognize when to try to capitalize on that QB value and strengthen other positions.

Wigwam7
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Wigwam7 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:21 pm

It can REALLY DEPEND

If your league has a "Position Limit" then its the number over the limit.
If not, then you have to consider that for every QB you have, that's 1-spot on your roster that is being occupied.
So... 6 QBs to me sound like too many.

With that being said, I'm in an AWESOME 2QB league w/ 22-starters and 8 bench, or a 30-Man roster.
I had "5" last year and found that to be a good number.
But I also won the league in 2017 and I only had 3 QBs that year.

So, in my experience, you need minimum 3 to 5.
It's all about personal preferences and injury escapability!

I think in "most cases", you want 4.

Madmartigan
Commish of the Tomahawk Wars FFL
Founder of "Premier Dynasty"
Author: T10 Fantasy Revolt: You Deserve A Better League!

trader_nation
Rookie
Rookie

Postby trader_nation » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 pm

3 max, doesn't even matter if it's a 16 teamer

Eight7Seven
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Eight7Seven » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:31 am

The most important elements are bench space, and whether you're contending or not. If you're rebuilding, than position's only matter in terms of caps. You're goal is to acquire assets that you project to be appreciating, so you can utilize or trade them later when you're contending.

When you're contending you roster spots become a resource unto themselves. You need to have startable depth across every position group (unless of course there are quality players available in free agency), which prevents you from rostering to many of the same position.
Team One: Children of the Light
12 Team PPR- Superflex- Dynasty - Start 9

QB: Herbert, Watson, Young, Cousins
HB: Bijan, Etienne, J.Jacobs, Najee, D.Harris, J.Ford
WR: Olave, Smith-Njigba, Pittman, Jeudy, Jameson, A.Cooper, Cooks, P.Cambell, T.Marshall, Boutte (T.S.)
TE: Hockenson, Kmet, L.Schoonmaker, Likely (T.S.)
Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 3rd

Team Two: One Nation
12 Team IDP- PPR- Superflex- Dynasy - 8 Offensive Starters- 1 DL, 1 EDR, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1DP (DL/LB/DB)

QB: Mahomes, Love, Lance, Purdy
HB: Chubb, Etienne, Akers, Dillion, J.Cook, P.Strong (T.S.), Z.White (T.S.)
WR: Waddle, Jameson, A.Cooper, “Bayou”.Michael.Thomas, Pickens, T.Marshall
TE: Waller, I.Smith.Jr, Otton (T.S.)
LB: D.Lloyd, Q.Walker, D.Long, J.Baker, J.Jewel
DB: J.Chinn, J.Pitre, J.Brisker
DL/ER: S.Hubbard, K.Mack, K.Paye
Picks: '23 1.05, 1.07, 1.12 & 3.07

Han
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Han » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:18 am

I think that is too many. If you aren't using them and no one else would start them you are likely lacking depth at other positions. Try going to max of 6.
QB (1) - A.Rodgers,J.Love,W.Levis,B.Mayfield,Darnold,J.Brisset,Corral
RB (2) - Bijan,Charbonnet,R. Mostert, Zeke, Allgeier,K. Hunt,Hubbard, J.Ford, M. Gaskin
WR (2) - Nuk, M. Evans ,OBJ, T.Thornton, P. Nacua, K Boutte, P. Campbell Zaccheaus,W Fuller, Cobb, T.Patrick
TE (1) - Schultz, Hooper,Kmet,T.Kraft
SFlex (2) - any qb/rb/wr/te

0.25 PPR
12 team league, 37 player rosters + IR, 5 round rookie draft each year.