Startup Draft Advice

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Startup Draft Advice

Postby grandmabetty » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:34 am

Doing a startup tomorrow. league details are: Dynasty 12 team, SF, PPR, start one TE but TE is 1.5 PPR. Commish has yet to notify us of how many positions we start (kinda threw this league together on a moments notice but we are all friends so its cool) but i assume it will be 2 QB, 2 RB, 2 or 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex

I have pick 1.05. I hate this pick honestly as i would prefer to land one of Mahomes, Lamar, CMC, Barkley and im assuming they will all be going 1-4. I would love to trade back but ive already put some feelers out and no bites yet. Ive only played in one SF league before and it was an auction draft. Ive reviewed some articles and rankings as well as some posts on here which have all been helpful.

In my previous SF/TE premium draft i focused on obtaining studs like Thomas, Hill and Kittle and i targeted QB's who are not sexy picks like Cousins, Stafford, Darnold. This resulted in an ok team. I finished 5th place out of 12 teams, but i think i concluded that in a 12 team league depth is more important than studs. Also those studs cost me a lot of auction money to obtain which left me thin. I suppose in a snake draft i don't have to worry about that

Assuming i cannot trade back I am considering 3 players at 1.05: Thomas, Zeke, Kyler Murray. With this draft i think im going to try a different approach. Im going to try to obtain great QB's and im hoping to get Kittle or possibly Andrews/Kelce in rd 2. This has me leaning toward taking Murray at 1.05. The depth at WR is silly nowadays and i think i can fill out my WR shares with mid to late picks and get some good value there. I think the real casualty with this strategy will be at RB where if i don't grab 1 in the first 3/4 rds i may not get a decent one at all. I will take BPA in any event but if a run on RBS happens i will target undervalued guys like Ingram\Gordon\Connor.

Guess im looking for your thoughts on who you would draft at 1.05 and what your strategy would be throughout the draft.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Startup Draft Advice

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:26 pm

I'd trade back for anything (assuming the top 4 are as predicted). Even if I could move back to 1.07 and get a 2nd next year. I prefer a few of the QB's ahead of Kyler, and don't like drafting guys at or beyond the age apex like MT with my first round pick, so I'd definitely move back for almost anything if the top 4 go as predicted.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Re: Startup Draft Advice

Postby grandmabetty » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:19 am

Thats not a bad thought. It would be nice to go back a few spots and still get murray or watson