Rookie Rankings w/ Explanation (SF)

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Rookie Rankings w/ Explanation (SF)

Postby jenkins.math » Tue May 05, 2020 10:54 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:49 am
jenkins.math wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:41 am I honestly have no idea what to do with Gibson and where to rank him. If he has RB eligibility in FF, I'm much more interested in him than if he doesn't. The fact that he doesn't have much competition at RB in Washington and he has the same staff that just threw the ball to CMC all day every day makes me excited.

However, there is so much unknown with the guy and what position he will even play. Guys that don't seem to have a true position are usually worthless in FF. I think he has the widest range of fantasy outcomes of any player and I am having trouble figuring out the where to value him. Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever had a more difficult time evaluating a player than Gibson.
That uncertainty is why he's in the early 3rd. Well worth the risk to me in that range.
You have him at 19. That would be a mid 2nd then right? Assuming standard 12 team leagues.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 05, 2020 10:57 am

jenkins.math wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:41 am I honestly have no idea what to do with Gibson and where to rank him. If he has RB eligibility in FF, I'm much more interested in him than if he doesn't. The fact that he doesn't have much competition at RB in Washington and he has the same staff that just threw the ball to CMC all day every day makes me excited.

However, there is so much unknown with the guy and what position he will even play. Guys that don't seem to have a true position are usually worthless in FF. I think he has the widest range of fantasy outcomes of any player and I am having trouble figuring out the where to value him. Honestly, I'm not sure I've ever had a more difficult time evaluating a player than Gibson.
That uncertainty is why he's in the early 3rd. Well worth the risk to me in that range.
No room for uncertainty.....

I was a a bit late on my evaluation of Gibson this year but he may be the steal of the draft. He will be the starting RB for Washington soon enough and has the skill sets needed to be a star. I have a 1st round grade on him.

Perfect fit for a Rivera offense.

Just grabbed in the 2nd of an IDP league the other day.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue May 05, 2020 11:01 am

jenkins.math wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:54 am

You have him at 19. That would be a mid 2nd then right? Assuming standard 12 team leagues.
I've consistently been getting him in the early 3rd (can generally get one of the WRs above him or Love in the mid 2nd). Personally I'd be fine taking him at 2.7 if the guys I like more are gone.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 05, 2020 11:09 am

Ice wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:57 am

No room for uncertainty.....

I was a a bit late on my evaluation of Gibson this year but he may be the steal of the draft. He will be the starting RB for Washington soon enough and has the skill sets needed to be a star. I have a 1st round grade on him.

Perfect fit for a Rivera offense.

Just grabbed in the 2nd of an IDP league the other day.
He's not even a RB. He's being transitioned into one. The idea he'd be a better RB than a guy like Guice is a bit much. If Guice gets hurt, maybe, but people saying Akers is raw, well this guy is another level. Basically his carries were manufactured touches. He's never really stood behind the QB and played RB, so the idea that he will be a starter any time soon with minimal off season activities seems far fetched. The guy couldn't even command significant touches in JUCO. To me he's a gadget guy early in his career. Adapting to NFL speed while trying to learn a position won't be easy.
Last edited by FantasyFreak on Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue May 05, 2020 11:13 am

Team 1 - 12 team PPR
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 05, 2020 11:16 am

My point is, he's not a refined RB. He didn't play it enough to be. He's a raw prospect. Coming into the NFL and simply learning the nuances of playing RB quickly won't be easy. These holes and tackling/skill of defenders really aren't NFL level.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue May 05, 2020 11:21 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:16 am
My point is, he's not a refined RB. He didn't play it enough to be. He's a raw prospect. Coming into the NFL and simply learning the nuances of playing RB quickly won't be easy. These holes and tackling/skill of defenders really aren't NFL level.
Yes he is very raw - don't think anyone is arguing that point. It's a matter of how risk you're willing to take.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 am

Chwf3rd wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:21 am
Yes he is very raw - don't think anyone is arguing that point. It's a matter of how risk you're willing to take.
I was referring to Ice saying he will be Washington's "starting RB soon enough." I don't see it any time soon.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Tue May 05, 2020 11:47 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 amI was referring to Ice saying he will be Washington's "starting RB soon enough." I don't see it any time soon.
I don't either.

Gibson's position should be OW for offensive weapon. This season might be tough for him because of the obvious, but maybe by next season there will be some clarity. I wouldn't he shocked to see him play every skill position during games. That old saying: Jack of all trades, master of none. That's my only fear with the kid.

He was just taken 20th overall in my PPR draft. Stock is rising beyond what I'm willing to pay.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue May 05, 2020 12:39 pm

dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:47 am
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:26 amI was referring to Ice saying he will be Washington's "starting RB soon enough." I don't see it any time soon.
I don't either.

Gibson's position should be OW for offensive weapon. This season might be tough for him because of the obvious, but maybe by next season there will be some clarity. I wouldn't he shocked to see him play every skill position during games. That old saying: Jack of all trades, master of none. That's my only fear with the kid.

He was just taken 20th overall in my PPR draft. Stock is rising beyond what I'm willing to pay.
Hide and watch gentlemen, Hide and watch! 8-)

Well aware he lacks experience. Then again Jacobs had 600 plus fewer carries than Taylor. DK barely played in College.

The NFL is very different. He will learn his craft in a full time setting. He will get better. Talent ultimately shines through and he actually shows skill sets.

I get it is bold take to some but he was drafted really high by a coach that knows what he is doing.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:30 pm

Ice wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:39 pm
dlf_mikeh wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:47 am
I don't either.

Hide and watch gentlemen, Hide and watch! 8-)

Well aware he lacks experience. Then again Jacobs had 600 plus fewer carries than Taylor. DK barely played in College.

The NFL is very different. He will learn his craft in a full time setting. He will get better. Talent ultimately shines through and he actually shows skill sets.

I get it is bold take to some but he was drafted really high by a coach that knows what he is doing.
But does he really know what he's doing? He's had 3 winning seasons in his 9 years as an NFL HC. And only 1 of those came in the last 4 years. But hey keep betting on a "RB" that had 33 carries in his Div I career because the new HC had CMC.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

CGW
Legend
Legend

Postby CGW » Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 pm

I have a hard time seeing him as "the running back" in Washington. I have a hard time even finding many carries for him where he is lined up as a RB. Even then, it was only a year ago when Henderson looked like a world beater in that same offense. Their AAC competition leaves a lot to be desired.

I do envision him as a pass catching back that can line up in the slot and out wide. Washington has a major lack of weapons and Gibson seems to fit this need. I doubt he becomes a workhorse, but he may very well become a great PPR asset.
12 Team | SF | PPR | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Burrow
RB |
WR | Puka, Olave, Smith, Flowers, Dotson, Addison
TE | Pitts, Otton, Bellinger, Likely, Okonkwo
2024 | 1.01, 1.02, 4.01, 5.01
| 1stx3, 3rdx3

10 Team | SF | PPR | 2023 Champ
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, SF

QB | Allen, Stroud, Young
RB | K Williams, White, Monty, Herbert, Chandler
WR | Lamb, AJB, Puka, Waddle, Mooney, J. Williams, Watson, Davis
TE | Andrews, Bellinger, Dulcich
2024 | 1.04, 3.10

12 Team | SF | PPR | 1.5TEP | 6pt pass TD
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FL, FL, SF

QB | Herbert Lance
RB | ETN, Pacheco, K Williams, Singletary, Henry, A Jones, Warren
WR | ARSB, Wilson, Olave, DK, Puka, Flowers, Downs,
TE | Hockenson, Likely, Otton

Sriracha
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Sriracha » Tue May 05, 2020 5:53 pm

CGW wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:53 pm I have a hard time seeing him as "the running back" in Washington. I have a hard time even finding many carries for him where he is lined up as a RB. Even then, it was only a year ago when Henderson looked like a world beater in that same offense. Their AAC competition leaves a lot to be desired.

I do envision him as a pass catching back that can line up in the slot and out wide. Washington has a major lack of weapons and Gibson seems to fit this need. I doubt he becomes a workhorse, but he may very well become a great PPR asset.
It'd take:
1) Him developing a bit as a runner; not as crazy as it sounds as RB is one of the more instinctual skill positions in the NFL and he's already displayed very good spatial awareness, and dynamism in the open field-- at 6'1 228 lbs. His vision is more of an unknown than a weakness at this point since in his very limited opportunities in that area he was not noticeably poor in this regard.

2) Derrius Guice to fulfill the "injury" label he's earned through his first 2 seasons.

3) Bryce Love to either not be good, or unable to fully recover from the knee injury from over a year ago (What is up with WSH and injuries?)

That's a lot of ifs, but the NFL tipped their hands a bit in regards to how tantalizing his ceiling is by drafting at the top of the 3rd round despite a combined 77 total career touches.

Well worth the gamble in the late 2nd/early 3rd. It'd be hard to pass up some very intriguing WR2 prospects earlier than that, though.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Tue May 05, 2020 6:10 pm

Of course he's not playing against NFL players but neither is anyone else in this class. Gibson does things on the field which nobody in this class has shown the ability to do.

I really, really recommend you watch his game vs SMU if you havent.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR