Value Check: T.J. Hockenson

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Snidely1Whiplash
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Value Check: T.J. Hockenson

Postby Snidely1Whiplash » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 am

What value does T.J. hold in SF draft picks?

1.12?

Slackalacker
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Value Check: T.J. Hockenson

Postby Slackalacker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 am

Probably a late 1st, at most a couple spots down from where he was drafted due to the talent perception of this draft.
TEAM 1 - 10 team SF 1PPR | 2017 & 2019 League Champ
1QB/1SF/2RB/2WR/1TE/2FLEX
QB: Dak - Hurts - DangeRuss - Tua - Z Wilson - Mills
RB: Barkley - Zeke - Sanders - Pollard - Patterson - D’Ernest - Jermar - Evans - Jones
WR: Hill - JJeff - Higgins - Hollywood - MThom(IR) - Godwin(IR) - E Moore - Marshall Jr - Calloway - Palmer - D Brown
TE: Hock - Moreau

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 am

1.07-1.08 or so - but I really don't see this draft being as incredible as most do

grandmabetty
Captain
Captain

Postby grandmabetty » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:53 am

That's weird cause after week 1 he was worth a minimum of 3 1sts, was already a top 5 TE and was in discussions of toppling all of Gonzalez's records

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:56 am

I was going to write a post about this, the difference between sports fan thoughts and fantasy football. I travel to Detroit metro area a lot and listen to the sports talk. They can't get rid of Patricia fast enough. He is a terrible coach and his GM buddy just as bad. So Detroit's overdrafts a TE and then the fantasy community is very high on him. What exactly has he done to show any skill beyond a nice developmental TE? I wanted no part of him in the 1st round in 2019 and I wouldn't consider him above a mid 2020 2nd.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 am

remedy29 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:56 am I was going to write a post about this, the difference between sports fan thoughts and fantasy football. I travel to Detroit metro area a lot and listen to the sports talk. They can't get rid of Patricia fast enough. He is a terrible coach and his GM buddy just as bad. So Detroit's overdrafts a TE and then the fantasy community is very high on him. What exactly has he done to show any skill beyond a nice developmental TE? I wanted no part of him in the 1st round in 2019 and I wouldn't consider him above a mid 2020 2nd.
The team is 3-4-1 in one of the toughest divisions in football and got screwed in the Green Bay game. Not sure how that equates to bad GM + bad coach given that the team was bad when they got there.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 am

All fanbases are dumb and irrational, if NE missed the playoffs the next 2 years there would be people trying to call for Belichick's head. Lions fans should be ecstatic with their performance this year in comparison to what they've done historically. They're lucky they had Barry Sanders otherwise they would be completely irrelevant in NFL History, even with that they are barely relevant. Who cares what Detroit fans are crying about, they should just be happy to have a competent team for once.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:22 am

As for Hockenson, why should anything have changed in his value? Everyone around here always preaches that TEs take time to develop and you need to be patient, but then when they aren't blowing the doors off half way through their rookie year everyone starts panicking and bailing. He showed week 1 what he's capable of, now he just needs more time to adjust to the NFL game and his role in the offense to be able to produce more consistently. His value was always in his long-term not this year or possibly even next year. Still a top 5-7 dynasty asset at the position for me.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 am

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 am All fanbases are dumb and irrational, if NE missed the playoffs the next 2 years there would be people trying to call for Belichick's head. Lions fans should be ecstatic with their performance this year in comparison to what they've done historically. They're lucky they had Barry Sanders otherwise they would be completely irrelevant in NFL History, even with that they are barely relevant. Who cares what Detroit fans are crying about, they should just be happy to have a competent team for once.
Megatron was pretty good as well. Pretty crazy for one franchise to have guys at two positions in the discussion for greatest of all time both walk away in their prime.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:24 am
bjd5211 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 am All fanbases are dumb and irrational, if NE missed the playoffs the next 2 years there would be people trying to call for Belichick's head. Lions fans should be ecstatic with their performance this year in comparison to what they've done historically. They're lucky they had Barry Sanders otherwise they would be completely irrelevant in NFL History, even with that they are barely relevant. Who cares what Detroit fans are crying about, they should just be happy to have a competent team for once.
Megatron was pretty good as well. Pretty crazy for one franchise to have guys at two positions in the discussion for greatest of all time both walk away in their prime.

Ya he was a great talent, but he's not a league icon on the level of Sanders.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:35 am

ericanadian wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:08 am
remedy29 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:56 am I was going to write a post about this, the difference between sports fan thoughts and fantasy football. I travel to Detroit metro area a lot and listen to the sports talk. They can't get rid of Patricia fast enough. He is a terrible coach and his GM buddy just as bad. So Detroit's overdrafts a TE and then the fantasy community is very high on him. What exactly has he done to show any skill beyond a nice developmental TE? I wanted no part of him in the 1st round in 2019 and I wouldn't consider him above a mid 2020 2nd.
The team is 3-4-1 in one of the toughest divisions in football and got screwed in the Green Bay game. Not sure how that equates to bad GM + bad coach given that the team was bad when they got there.
I get that you don't follow the Detroit Lions, but the Lions were a good team in 2017, won 9 games, 9 in 2016 too. Patricia was brought in to make and win playoff games as a defensive genius. Their defense is terrible and players are calling out the coach for his poor system.

Point being, why is Hockenson overvalued when he was overdrafted by a bad organization?

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:38 am

If Detroit didn't take him there some other team was taking him very soon afterwards. He wasn't over drafted, that's how highly he was valued.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:55 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:48 am It's the hits and injuries that are a concern for me, and I'm a huge Hock-proponent.
Ya, that's the one concern I have too. That hurdle attempt was stupid, NFL needs to just outlaw it for the players own good.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:26 pm

bjd5211 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:55 am
Cult of Dionysus wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:48 am It's the hits and injuries that are a concern for me, and I'm a huge Hock-proponent.
Ya, that's the one concern I have too. That hurdle attempt was stupid, NFL needs to just outlaw it for the players own good.
Yeah. What an unnecessary concussion. However I don't think it should be outlawed. It works a lot of times when guys try and cut a RB, in the right situation, and it can save a RB's knees on those hits. However Hock needed to use better discretion.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick