SF QB Value Correlation to League Size

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
H2Hitman
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

SF QB Value Correlation to League Size

Postby H2Hitman » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:40 pm

Im wondering how league size effects the value of Quarterbacks in a SF dynasty format.

In 12 team rookie mocks im seeing all of Murray/Haskins/Lock go in the top 7/8ish.

So in 14 team would those 3 QBs all be in around the top 4 or 5?

I would imagine in a 10 team league that QBs get a slight down tick in value, but how much? For instance in this draft class, in a vacuum lets say Murray should go 1.01/1.02, Haskins 1.04/1.05, and Lock 1.09/1.10. Is that somewhat accurate?

Now if we talk about established QBs, how does trade value correspond to league size? If Mahomes is the consesus QB1, lets say he is worth 3x 1sts in a 12 team league. Would he then be worth 4x 1sts in a 14 team, and maybe 2x 1sts and a 2nd in a 10 team league?

If anyone can provide some insight to this that would be great! I am in a 10 team league and have noticed QBs get somewhat undervalued (or maybe not!)
For instance, there were 2 trades last year during the season involving QBs, one was Lev bell for Wilson and AJ Green. Another was Conner and a 2nd for Mayfield and a 3rd.

10 Team Dynasty 0.5PPR (QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, Flex, Flex, Superflex - No K/DST) 15 Bench
League Established: 2018
Last season: Bubbled out of playoffs

QB: Luck, Wentz, Mayfield
RB: Mixon, Cook, Guice, Lindsay, Hyde, Ito Smith, C Edmonds, Jalen Richard
WR: Evans, Cooper, Golladay, Funchess, Ridley, Sutton, Parker
TE: Engram, H.Henry, Gesicki
Picks: 2019 1.04, 2.07, 3.09, 4.04, 5.04 // 2020 2x 1sts, 2nd/3rd/4th/5th // 2021 1/2/3/4/5

ItsHandsomeDave
Role Player
Role Player

Re: SF QB Value Correlation to League Size

Postby ItsHandsomeDave » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:58 pm

League size will affect values. The larger the league, the more valuable QB's become simply because there are only going to be 32 starters every week. When you shift from 12 teams to 14 or even 16, you want to make sure you have two solid options every week at QB. Larger leagues means weaker rosters overall, and that means lower team scores every week. If you can get 40-50 points a week out of your two QB's consistently, then you are going to have a very good foundation. All you need from there are a couple of younger players to build the rest of the roster around and a couple of decent vets and you are going to be competitive.

Im finding that QB value in SF is a difficult question to answer more and more these days as the SF format brings becomes a bit more popular. Reason being that people tend to still undervalue QB's a bit when they first make that shift over and it takes a year or two for it to sink in. Also the scoring formats being used obviously make a huge difference

notorioustot
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby notorioustot » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:33 pm

Agreed. I'm holding the 1.01 and 1.02 in my 14 team superflex (Team 1 in Sig) and while I need serious WR help, I can't get away from taking Murray and Haskins 1 and 2 and waiting for whoever drops to me at 1.13 and 2.02 (my other early picks).
14 Team Dynasty League - 25 Active Roster
PPR Superflex, 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 1 K 1 DST

QB: Mahomes; Goff; Kyler; Dobbs; Aiden; DTR;
RB: Rhamondre; ETN; Gibson; CEH; Jet; Ty; Chase; White
WR: AJB; Ja'Marr; Lazard; Mooney; Deebo; Phillips; Jauan
TE: Hock;
K: McManus
Def: GB; Cincy

IR:

Picks: 2024 2 3 4 5
2025 2 3 4 5
2026 2 3 4 5

Team 2: 12 teams, otherwise, same rules above:
QB: Burrow; Fields; Stafford; Aiden; Bagnet
RB: Bijan; E. Mitchell; Mostert; Pacheco; Pollard; Kendre; Dowdle; Keaton M
WR: Nico; DJ Moore; Skyy; DPJ; Deebo; Puka; C Tillman; Philips
TE: Kelce;
K: Hopkins
DST: BUFF

IR: Knox, Palmer

Picks:
2024 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 3: 12 team, 30 Active, same rules above:
QB: Tua; Watson; Tannehill; Minshew; Trask
RB: Ekeler; Henry; Kamara; Mostert; Dillon; E. Dotson; C. Evans; E. Mitchell; S. Tucker
WR: Diggs; Keenan; Evans; Deebo; Tee; Mims; Marshall
TE: Kelce; Ferguson; Kraft; Irv Jr.;
K: Elliott
DST: Cowboys; Phins

joeya2001
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby joeya2001 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 am

ItsHandsomeDave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:58 pm League size will affect values. The larger the league, the more valuable QB's become simply because there are only going to be 32 starters every week. When you shift from 12 teams to 14 or even 16, you want to make sure you have two solid options every week at QB. Larger leagues means weaker rosters overall, and that means lower team scores every week. If you can get 40-50 points a week out of your two QB's consistently, then you are going to have a very good foundation. All you need from there are a couple of younger players to build the rest of the roster around and a couple of decent vets and you are going to be competitive.

Im finding that QB value in SF is a difficult question to answer more and more these days as the SF format brings becomes a bit more popular. Reason being that people tend to still undervalue QB's a bit when they first make that shift over and it takes a year or two for it to sink in. Also the scoring formats being used obviously make a huge difference
Ive noticed that, but we should be also asked are we over valuing them?
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR 1TE, Super Flex, 2 Flex Spots. 10 Team Dynasty PPR

2016 Champs 2019 Runner up 2020 Champs

QB- Lamar Jackson, Jordan Love
RB- Alvin Kamara, AJ Dillion
WR- Christian Kirk, Michael Pittman, Aiyuk, Alec Pierce, DJ Chare, Terrace Marshall, Metchie,
TE- George Kittle, Darren Waller, Greg Dortch.

Team 2 10 Team 1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1 TE 2 Flex 2 SF

2020 3rd place Year 1
(This is a rebuild team selling vets)
QB Joe Burrow, Kenny Pickett, Geno,
RB AJ Dillon, Josh Jacobs, Tony Pollard,
WR Tee Higgins, Sutton, HollywoodTerry McLaurin, DJM, Ju-Ju, Hodgins,
TE Hock, Andrews, Kyle Pitts, Otton, Ertz
Picks
2023 4 1st 5 2nd
2024 3rd
“Not good enough to count on as a starter, but too good to drop, so they clog my bench.” dlf_mikeh