The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Re: The Real Lamar Jackson Thread

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am

MontrealBen wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 am I just noticed that Jackson has somehow made it back to waivers. Dropping anyone from team 1 (JAdams, Gio, Crowder, Stills...) for him? I don't *need* him, with Cam and Brady as QBs (and this is a league where QBs carry zero trade value), but it feels irresponsible to not take a shot at a potential top 5 QB.
You should drop Crowder for him (or anybody really as Crowder hasn't done much in 2.5 years) but temper your expectations. Potential top 5 QB? Man that's rich. I dont get all the hype at all. The rushing excites people but he isnt near the runner and athlete Vick was. He also doesnt have the arm talent Vick did either.

I would roster him over Crowder, but I dont see him ever being a long term NFL or fantasy starter. Definitely not top 5.

MontrealBen
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MontrealBen » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:24 am

jenkins.math wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am
MontrealBen wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 am I just noticed that Jackson has somehow made it back to waivers. Dropping anyone from team 1 (JAdams, Gio, Crowder, Stills...) for him? I don't *need* him, with Cam and Brady as QBs (and this is a league where QBs carry zero trade value), but it feels irresponsible to not take a shot at a potential top 5 QB.
You should drop Crowder for him (or anybody really as Crowder hasn't done much in 2.5 years) but temper your expectations. Potential top 5 QB? Man that's rich. I dont get all the hype at all. The rushing excites people but he isnt near the runner and athlete Vick was. He also doesnt have the arm talent Vick did either.

I would roster him over Crowder, but I dont see him ever being a long term NFL or fantasy starter. Definitely not top 5.
Oh, I wouldn't say that I see it in the sense that I think it's likely. But what I think *could* happen (at least in the sense that there's a good enough chance that it's worth an end of bench flyer) is that he has a Deshaun Watson type run that sends his value way up. Then it's time to sell, sell, sell.

jenkins.math
All Pro
All Pro

Postby jenkins.math » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:44 am

MontrealBen wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:24 am
jenkins.math wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 am

Oh, I wouldn't say that I see it in the sense that I think it's likely. But what I think *could* happen (at least in the sense that there's a good enough chance that it's worth an end of bench flyer) is that he has a Deshaun Watson type run that sends his value way up. Then it's time to sell, sell, sell.
See I disagree. I dont even see a good chance he ever has a Deshaun Watson type run. He isnt good enough throwing the ball

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:54 am

The Ravens are still in the playoff hunt. I would argue that Jackson provides the Ravens with the best chance to win today. Just the threat of him being able to run opens up Alex Collins a little more than with RGIII. The Bengals are going to have to play a totally different game defensively than if RGIII was starting from coverages to blitz packages. Lamar Jackson has a decent deep ball too. Our DB's are awful especially Kirkpatrick. Look for some deep balls to John Brown. If you were going to start Lamar Jackson then this is the game for the Ravens to do so. I'm feeling extremely nervous as a Bengal fan.

My fantasy take is a bit different. I guess it depends on who is on your roster as to if I would gamble on starting him and what your needs are in your matchup. The only league I have Lamar Jackson my other 2 Qbs are Big Ben and Fitzmagic. Yes, I'm carrying 3 Qbs. I'm also 8-2 and in the playoffs most likely so the risk and reward is different depending on your league standings. I'm not taking the ball out of Big Ben's hands but there is plenty of Qbs I would start Jackson over today. I'm playing a bit conservative based on my opponent's starting line up and how I think our matchup is going to play out. Jackson could easily have 100 yards rushing in this game and if he can scrape out a couple TDs it's going to be a QB1 day for Jackson. The other worry is how much are the Ravens going to put RGIII in or if there will be a rotation. If I needed high-risk high reward production I would have no problem playing Jackson this week.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:24 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 am
In a non PPR requiring 2 RB 2 WR with a flex, I'd put Crowder as the next drop.
I'd drop Crowder for him immediately. Brady could retire this offseason and Lamar could be starter next year.

bjd5211
Legend
Legend

Postby bjd5211 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:16 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 am
In a non PPR requiring 2 RB 2 WR with a flex, I'd put Crowder as the next drop.
x2

osubuckeyeman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby osubuckeyeman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Over 100 yards rushing. 150 passing and 1 interception. He got his first win. I'm sure the Ravens are happy with the outcome. I think he had 27 rushing attempts. I think that is an NFL record for a quarterback.

badbuddah
Captain
Captain

Postby badbuddah » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:36 pm

Well with Alex Smith breaking his leg, I will probably drop him. Lamar is now my only other QB after Luck. It is CLEAR the Ravens didn't want him throwing the football very much in this game. I still have major concerns about whether he can be an NFL caliber passer, even at a Newton level. He has speed like Vick, but not sure he can have the Quarterbacking moments often enough to succeed. Barring Luck getting hurt, I will roll with him on my roster and just see how things play out next year and if they bring back Flacco.
12 Team UNLIMITED Keeper / 23 Roster 1.0-PPR: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 WR/RB/TE, 1 K, 1 DEF 2 IR - 11th Year

QB: L. Jackson, J. Browning
RB: Aaron Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, E. Mitchell, Dalvin Cook, Jamaal Williams, Alexander Mattison, K. Miller, P. Taylor
WR: R. Doubs, G. Pickens, Christian Kirk, Juju, D. Hopkins, D. Wicks, K. Boutte
TE: Z. Ertz, C. Okonkwo, Trey McBride, Tucker Kraft
K: T. Bass, J. Moody
DEF: San Francisco

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:40 pm

I'm just glad about the confidence he'll get from having his first start be a win.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 pm

mild wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:35 pm
Blueboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:12 pm I'm also high on him, but I think there's a lot of wishful thinking here. An 80 yard rushing floor would be crazy.
That's probably a fair call. How would you feel about 50, then? Is that fair enough?
How we doing this week, fam...

A 15.7 pt day in my league *without* a TD.

He's going to be a great fantasy QB imo.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 pm

The amount of rushing he did this week was insane... but I think hes the closest thing I've ever seen to Vick. I wish I had him in a league. Took Baker right before him though so cant complain too much

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:57 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:52 pm The amount of rushing he did this week was insane... but I think hes the closest thing I've ever seen to Vick. I wish I had him in a league. Took Baker right before him though so cant complain too much
I'm a complete Lamar apologist and took him over Baker... but even I would probably prefer Bake now at this point. He looks great.

Lamar will be a wild ride. There's no way he can sustain this punishment for 16 games... but the Vick parallels are legit. Rookie season Vick wasn't much with his arm either. It will all come down to how he grows as a passer in his coming seasons.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:04 pm

I mean... hes gonna get hit but he didnt take any remotely bad that I saw. A lot of his runs went out of bounds as he beat everyone to the 1st down...

You're right about the wild ride. I'm a Ravens fan so it should be very wild lol

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:43 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 pm
Blueboy wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:12 pm I'm also high on him, but I think there's a lot of wishful thinking here. An 80 yard rushing floor would be crazy.
That's probably a fair call. How would you feel about 50, then? Is that fair enough?

If he gets this many rushing attempts per week, I take it all back.

Chwf3rd
Captain
Captain

Postby Chwf3rd » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:47 pm

Problem is that you need to be a starting QB to be a great fantasy QB and I’m very uncertain that he’ll ever become a long term starting QB.

The Ravens clearly feel uncomfortable with him throwing the ball, an NFL offense is going to eveny require it’s QB to be a passer, and the amount of shots he was taking was unsustainable, especially with his frame.
Team 1 - 12 team PPR
QB: MRyan, MJones, CNewton, RFitz
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, JMixon, AJDillon, LMurray, DarWilliams, GBernard
WR: SDiggs, ACooper, BAiyuk, JJones, LShenault, BCooks, KToney, KHamler, VJefferson
TE: JSmith, ISmith, ZErtz

Team 2 - 16 team, PPR, SF
QB: JBurrow, CWentz, ZWilson, Jimmy G
RB: SBarkley, DSwift, CAkers, BSnell, TGurley, DGuice
WR: JChase, BAiyuk, CSutton, THiggins, JJeudy, JReagor, BEdwards
TE: ISmith, HarBryant, DSample, TTremble