What's your QB strategy in a superflex?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
palevermilion
Role Player
Role Player

Re: What's your QB strategy in a superflex?

Postby palevermilion » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm in a small 2 QB league (it's just a local league with friends, nothing hardcore online). It's only 8 teams, but we have larger starting rosters so it basically plays like a 10 team league (2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE). Would you guys put this same weight on QBs in a small league like this?

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Get as many studs as possible. 2 minimum
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

jnappy
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jnappy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 pm

So at what point are you guys okay taking a hit at QB? Never? I've got a guy trying to get Andy Dalton from me in team 3 in sig, and he's offering Alex Smith and Freeman for my Dalton, Riddick, and some smaller pieces. Is this not worth pursuing even with the massive upgrade at RB?
[Team 1] 2015 - 6th | 2016 - 12th | 2017 - 3rd | 2018 - 1st! | 2019 - 3rd | 2020 - 5th
Hometown league
Jimmy GQ
32 team full PPR/IDP - 1TMQB/1RB/1WR/1TE/1FLEX/1TMPK/1DL/1LB/1DB
TMQB: 49ers
RB: Kamara, DJ, Hines, JJack
WR: ARob, Mooney, Myers, JGrant
TE: Goedert, Kroft, Keene
TMPK: 49ers
DL: JPP
LB: Oluokun, Shaq Thompson
DB: Poyer
2021 picks: 1.26, 2.26, 3.26
2022 picks: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

thriftyrocker
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:42 pm

jnappy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 pm So at what point are you guys okay taking a hit at QB? Never? I've got a guy trying to get Andy Dalton from me in team 3 in sig, and he's offering Alex Smith and Freeman for my Dalton, Riddick, and some smaller pieces. Is this not worth pursuing even with the massive upgrade at RB?
One way to look at it is how many 1sts are you going to spend to try to recoup Dalton? I would put the o/u on 2. If Devonta is worth 2 1sts for you then go for it. Otherwise hold off.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:39 am

moishetreats wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:02 am QBs early and often. Young top-10 QBs are irreplaceable, and I aim to have three. If/when a QB who should be gone falls, I'll keep taking him -- and more than four. That will almost assuredly pay off later.
This x10. I'll figure everything else out later. But I aim to find three young top 10 potential types at QB, and always look for that position as a premium in draft picks or waiver claims. If you find someone else they will be good in trade offers to deal. The person who got Dak Prescott in the 4th or off waivers in these types of leagues can now move him for almost any elite young RB or WR they want. I used to hoes good young QBs because of what they would net me in returns. And once I got a couple young top 10 QBs you can just focus on filling out positions that turn over my h quicker like RB.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 am

The thing with all this "always have 17 elite
QBs" advice in this thread, is that it's clearly impossible for every team to do this.

If everyone follows it to the extreme, and 12 QBs go in the first round, obviously you want OBJ in the 2nd.

In other words, like in all drafting, you take the best value. If your league goes absurd on QBs early then snap up WR1s. I feel like the value between young and old QBs tends to get stretched inordinately far in QB-crazy superflex leagues too. When this happens, pick up Brady, Rivers, Brees or Ben in the 3rd or 4th, and some younger upside QBs later.

Of course sometimes you can pull off all elite QBs; when that opportunity presents itself, more power to you. But it can't be your only strategy.

chopping mall
Role Player
Role Player

Postby chopping mall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:38 am

jeffster wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:26 am The thing with all this "always have 17 elite
QBs" advice in this thread, is that it's clearly impossible for every team to do this.

If everyone follows it to the extreme, and 12 QBs go in the first round, obviously you want OBJ in the 2nd.

In other words, like in all drafting, you take the best value. If your league goes absurd on QBs early then snap up WR1s. I feel like the value between young and old QBs tends to get stretched inordinately far in QB-crazy superflex leagues too. When this happens, pick up Brady, Rivers, Brees or Ben in the 3rd or 4th, and some younger upside QBs later.

Of course sometimes you can pull off all elite QBs; when that opportunity presents itself, more power to you. But it can't be your only strategy.
Yep very much agree with this. The best draft plan is always going to be reacting to what the other drafters do. If everyone is waiting on QBs then also wait why give up RBs or WRs when QBs are falling. If everyone goes early then indeed snap up the WR1s. Even committing to a I'm gonna take QBs in in the first 3 rounds may not work. All depends on the draft.

This doesn't even begin to account for the pre-draft trading that tends to happen in start ups thus changing how 1 draft plays out vs. another.
Team: Hounds of Justice - Year 5
12 Team - 35 Man roster .5 PPR Dynasty IDP (1QB|2WR|2RB|1TE|2Flex|2DL|2LB|2DB|1Flex)
QB: D. Brees, D. Carr, A. Dalton
RB: S. Barkley, J. Mixon, C. Clement, F. Gore, J. Jackson, P. Perkins, G. Bernard
WR: K. Allen, A. Green, J. Edelman, B. Cooks, T. Quinn, J. Reynolds, M. Crabtree, J. Doctson
TE: D. Walker D. Waller, D. Goedert, J. Smith
DL: T. Flowers, J. Houston, C. Peters, E. Ansah
LB: D. Leonard, M. Jack, N. Vigil, J. Baker, P. Onwuasor, S. Hamilton
DB: J. Bates, K. Jackson,
taxi: R. Finley, D. Crockett, J. Ursua, D. Willis, J. Thornhill
2020 Picks: 3rd, 5th, 6th

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:08 am

I'm in a superflex auction startup right now. Everyone else is focusing on getting stud WRs and RBs early. I grabbed both Luck and Rodgers. On average, I got them for a handful to a lot less than what people won the following players for: Zeke, DJ, Bell, AB, Julio, Evans, OBJ, Brady (wtf?), Dak. We're only 20 players in so far, but seems people are overspending a lot based on how I and most people on these forums value players anyway.

Most people fall in love with skill position players and don't invest in the QB position enough in superflex/2QB. You can exploit that and build a team that'll be competitive for a very long time to come if you load up on QBs. Not having to worry about finding QBs in the near future is huge as you don't end up spending a ton of draft picks on QBs to find the next superstar. Just look at the QBs this year and last year. It's not easy to find good QBs. Take them early and often. Save yourself the headache later.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:37 am

Yes, always be responsive to your draft mates, but even more so in superflex.

Another thing I think superflex changes is the relative value of draft positions. I never like drafting at the turn in startups, because it makes it hard to respond to runs. In superflex, however, a QB run that hits in your 22-pick gap (in a 12 teamer) can be devastating.

Usually this is out of your control, but if you get nailed with it then consider trying to make some pre-draft trades so that your picks have a better spread in a few crucial rounds.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:40 am

UnitedLoon wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:32 pm I'm in a small 2 QB league (it's just a local league with friends, nothing hardcore online). It's only 8 teams, but we have larger starting rosters so it basically plays like a 10 team league (2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB/WR/TE). Would you guys put this same weight on QBs in a small league like this?
No because there is usually around 16 good QBs. Still, make sure you have 2/3 good one's you can count on but it's not super run out of your way urgent given the league structure.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:57 am

So the guy who won our inaugural SF league selected Luck and Rodgers with his first two picks and benefitted from a big campaign from both Melvin Gordon and Jordan Howard.

WR - Parker, Mike Wallace, Treadwell, Boyd, Corey Coleman, Agholor (Later traded for AJG who went down before our playoffs)
TE - Eifert and Brate
RB - Gordon, Howard, Mathews, Stewart

You can't tell me that, that roster is a Superstar/Star-studded roster......but it'll feel like one if Luck and Rodgers are consistently netting you 40 points a game and any role players/value picks fill the middle.

Kramer
MVP
MVP

Postby Kramer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:11 am

Also, you need to factor what you can get for some of these elite QBs once other teams figure out how much value they have.

Not saying it'll work like this for everyone, but for example a guy in my superflex league drafted Luck and Rodgers as well as several other cheap QBs. He traded Rodgers for Wilson (post breakout) and Alshon. Then traded Wilson for Zeke (prior to rookie year), Melvin Gordon (prior to breakout), and a 17 1st (turned into Mixon). So basically by drafting Rodgers and waiting for other teams to realize the importance of QBs, he was effectively able to net Alshon, Zeke, Melvin Gordon and Mixon for him over a two year period.
10 team SF .5ppr-QB,2RB,3WR,TE,Flex,SF,Def (30 spots)
QB: Allen, AR, Brissett
RB: Mixon,Barkley,Rhamondre,Foreman
WR: Deebo,Adams,Jeudy, Devonta,Nuk
TE: Knox,Chig, Woods, Ferguson
2023 picks: 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20
2024 picks: 3 2nds
2025 picks: 3 2nds

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am

So, I have exactly zero experience in superflex leagues.

None.

I do feel like there is something obvious that jumps out from this thread, though. the OP asks about super flex, not 2QB.

To the outsider, there is a critical difference when it comes to that second QB spot.

you don't have to start a QB. You can start whoever you want. So...isn't a non-QB who scores 16 points better than a QB who scores 12? I think the QB at all cost acquisition strategy is reasonable right up until the point where you are passing on skill players who outscore the remaining QB options. (Again, this only applies to SF, not 2QB, as there is no choice there).

Again, this needs to come with the understanding that i am not seeing this format from the inside out, but from the outside in. I welcome, and defer to, the thoughts of posters experienced in the format.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:24 am

Goirish374 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am So, I have exactly zero experience in superflex leagues.

you don't have to start a QB. You can start whoever you want. So...isn't a non-QB who scores 16 points better than a QB who scores 12? I think the QB at all cost acquisition strategy is reasonable right up until the point where you are passing on skill players who outscore the remaining QB options.
As someone who has played in superflex, this thinking is flawed. The reason is because even a crappy QB2 like Brock Osweiler or Ryan Fitzpatrick is a much better superflex start than a RB2/3 or a WR2/3. Even inconsistent QB2s have decent floors of like 10+ PPG and ceilings of 20+ PPG. It's much more difficult to find a reliable RB2/3 or WR2/3 to have the same floor and ceiling.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:28 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:24 am
Goirish374 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:19 am So, I have exactly zero experience in superflex leagues.

you don't have to start a QB. You can start whoever you want. So...isn't a non-QB who scores 16 points better than a QB who scores 12? I think the QB at all cost acquisition strategy is reasonable right up until the point where you are passing on skill players who outscore the remaining QB options.
As someone who has played in superflex, this thinking is flawed. The reason is because even a crappy QB2 like Brock Osweiler or Ryan Fitzpatrick is a much better superflex start than a RB2/3 or a WR2/3. Even inconsistent QB2s have decent floors of like 10+ PPG and ceilings of 20+ PPG. It's much more difficult to find a reliable RB2/3 or WR2/3 to have the same floor and ceiling.
Yeah I guess I'm not talking about that--I'm talking about passing on WR1/2 for QB3s. Situations where the floor is not comparable.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC