DLF SuperFlex startup!

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: DLF SuperFlex startup!

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:25 am

Madadamus wrote:I like Hurns as I own him in a few places. But I believe the entire offense, particularly the passing game, is going to come down to earth a bit. That defense can't be that bad year in and year out. They added Ivory so they will want to run the ball more. A lot of Hurns' production came on flukey plays and deep bombs late in games. Not saying they don't count, but it's hard to project that that will continue, especially from a guy that is an undrafted free agent. Julius Thomas also starting to come on late so I think he will see a small bump in production.

Julian Edelman is PPR gold, but he is going to be 30 when the season starts. It would be silly to ignore age regression especially in a slot role. Factor in he has had multiple injuries and they add Hogan, Lewis comes back, and who knows what they do in the draft, I see a target drop. In 2016 I think he will be just fine, a high end WR2, but to project that he will continue to do this for years with a 40 year old Brady is not how I view things. Welker is a guy that comes to mind that had a couple of seasons into his 30's, but concussions and injuries took a toll on him and he pretty much fell quickly. The wheels come off fast in the NFL. If you value a guy like Edelman over the 1.07, you can pretty much bet you are going to have him die on your team. Because I do agree that his production offers you more than what you can get in a trade, but I would rather have the guy at 1.07 than WR2 proaction for a year or two.

Not to mention if we are talking about age decline, why did DT fall all the way to the late 3rd? He is just 28, years younger than Jordy and Marshall, yet they went just over a round later.

Lacy is a guy that will pretty much have to have a Doug Martin type year for him to gain any value. He'll be entering his age 27 season with a lot of wear on him, so he is definitely boom or bust but I think the bust is more likely.

Diggs is a guy that will see his value hit when the Vikings draft a WR in round 1. If they don't even a day 2 WR will bump him down. Diggs is a 5th round player. Does if he have great metrics? Yes. But he is not a WR1 in the NFL in my opinion, and the 1.07, in this format, will probably be more valuable in a trade and on the field then Diggs.

The fact is that all of these picks are safe. Nothing bad can happen to them from now until the draft. The draft will kill some of the value of current players, it happens every year. And with this class being viewed as poor, it can only go up when people see that 'Hey. An NFL team believes this guy is a 1st round talent and he landed in a decent spot. I might actually want to draft him.' This class isn't what is has been in the past, but it does have depth and a decent amount of day 2 talent.
Your strategy isn't wrong. It can definitely work, but I do agree with the rest that the 1.07 is not worth more than guys like Lacy, Edelman, Diggs, etc. Maybe it is worth more to your team with an obvious focus on youth, but pure value-wise the 1.07 is worth less.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:34 am

dynastyninja wrote:
Madadamus wrote:I like Hurns as I own him in a few places. But I believe the entire offense, particularly the passing game, is going to come down to earth a bit. That defense can't be that bad year in and year out. They added Ivory so they will want to run the ball more. A lot of Hurns' production came on flukey plays and deep bombs late in games. Not saying they don't count, but it's hard to project that that will continue, especially from a guy that is an undrafted free agent. Julius Thomas also starting to come on late so I think he will see a small bump in production.

Julian Edelman is PPR gold, but he is going to be 30 when the season starts. It would be silly to ignore age regression especially in a slot role. Factor in he has had multiple injuries and they add Hogan, Lewis comes back, and who knows what they do in the draft, I see a target drop. In 2016 I think he will be just fine, a high end WR2, but to project that he will continue to do this for years with a 40 year old Brady is not how I view things. Welker is a guy that comes to mind that had a couple of seasons into his 30's, but concussions and injuries took a toll on him and he pretty much fell quickly. The wheels come off fast in the NFL. If you value a guy like Edelman over the 1.07, you can pretty much bet you are going to have him die on your team. Because I do agree that his production offers you more than what you can get in a trade, but I would rather have the guy at 1.07 than WR2 proaction for a year or two.

Not to mention if we are talking about age decline, why did DT fall all the way to the late 3rd? He is just 28, years younger than Jordy and Marshall, yet they went just over a round later.

Lacy is a guy that will pretty much have to have a Doug Martin type year for him to gain any value. He'll be entering his age 27 season with a lot of wear on him, so he is definitely boom or bust but I think the bust is more likely.

Diggs is a guy that will see his value hit when the Vikings draft a WR in round 1. If they don't even a day 2 WR will bump him down. Diggs is a 5th round player. Does if he have great metrics? Yes. But he is not a WR1 in the NFL in my opinion, and the 1.07, in this format, will probably be more valuable in a trade and on the field then Diggs.

The fact is that all of these picks are safe. Nothing bad can happen to them from now until the draft. The draft will kill some of the value of current players, it happens every year. And with this class being viewed as poor, it can only go up when people see that 'Hey. An NFL team believes this guy is a 1st round talent and he landed in a decent spot. I might actually want to draft him.' This class isn't what is has been in the past, but it does have depth and a decent amount of day 2 talent.
Your strategy isn't wrong. It can definitely work, but I do agree with the rest that the 1.07 is not worth more than guys like Lacy, Edelman, Diggs, etc. Maybe it is worth more to your team with an obvious focus on youth, but pure value-wise the 1.07 is worth less.
Based on what? Wentz will be gone, Goff might be, worst case this is the 1.06. Where can you sell Edelman, Diggs or Lacy for the 1.06? Not in an of my leagues. Where is Jordy and Marshall getting the 1.05? If people are paying those prices for 33 year old WR's, I would love to join that league. Chase Daniel went at 2.01. A guy like Paxton Lynch could be available than. Who would you rather have? I know it's pretty clear on my end.
12 Team PPR Dynasty - DLFS
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Burrow, M. Stafford, C. Wentz
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor
TE: D. Waller, E. Engram, H. Hurst, D. Njoku, G. Dulich, J. Akins
2023 Picks: 1st, 2nd, 2nd (mid), 3rd, 4th, 4th (mid)

12 Team PPR Dynasty
1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 RB/WR/TE, 1 QB/RB/WR/TE, 1 TE
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead
TE: E. Engram, C. Kmet, C. Herndon, K. Warring
2021 Picks: 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:40 am

In a startup with the picks available for selection, their value is what the draft said it was. People got to choose them or players. Sure they may appreciate in value in the next month, but people are pretty aware of the players that will be available there. This class will have hits, but it will have misses too. I wouldn't pat yourself on the back too much because while they may be safer in the short term, you could be left with little output in the end. There is definitely risk and depending on the foundation you can establish, your future is very unknown.

In a normal setting people can only get picks by trading for them. Here people had the chance at them. I don't think it is apples to apples.

I'll be interested to see how things play out, but we won't know for two years at least. A few different strategies at play. No one wrong or right given everyone needs some luck and the same strategy could work very different even 1 year later with different prospects.

Good luck to everyone. I hope the league is active and competitive for years to come!

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:53 am

FiremanEd wrote:In a normal setting people can only get picks by trading for them. Here people had the chance at them. I don't think it is apples to apples.
I think that's it. The marketplace here...i.e. the team owners in this league...have already spoken as to where they see the value of the 1.07 (and other picks) based on their draft selections. So the trade value for that pick is under players like Lacy, Diggs, Hurns, Eifert, Ozzie, CJ, Ingram and that cohort. If you're looking to trade that pick, you're probably going to have to settle for a player below that tier, or use it as a trade sweetener.

So that's the trade value. The issue then becomes real value...who DD actually selects there. Will, say, Coleman be seen in 2017 as within the top 84 fantasy producers? Maybe. But I think that's where the pick is going to have value, not as a trade chip. If the marketplace has set the value, which it has, the flexibility is probably not as high as would be hoped.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:03 am

Dookmariot wrote:
FiremanEd wrote:In a normal setting people can only get picks by trading for them. Here people had the chance at them. I don't think it is apples to apples.
I think that's it. The marketplace here...i.e. the team owners in this league...have already spoken as to where they see the value of the 1.07 (and other picks) based on their draft selections. So the trade value for that pick is under players like Lacy, Diggs, Hurns, Eifert, Ozzie, CJ, Ingram and that cohort. If you're looking to trade that pick, you're probably going to have to settle for a player below that tier, or use it as a trade sweetener.

So that's the trade value. The issue then becomes real value...who DD actually selects there. Will, say, Coleman be seen in 2017 as within the top 84 fantasy producers? Maybe. But I think that's where the pick is going to have value, not as a trade chip. If the marketplace has set the value, which it has, the flexibility is probably not as high as would be hoped.
I guess for a stubborn owner it may be true, but I would be willing to bet in 2 months the 1.07 will be more valuable than most of the aforementioned players.

-Elliot
-Treadwell
-Doctson
-Coleman
-Wentz
-Goff
-Henry

(Note: This isn't my board :ewink: , just general rankings from what I've seen as consensus)

That's pretty much what I am looking at. Will Henry seriously be worth less than a Lacy or Hurns? I highly doubt it. Kenneth Dixon and Devontae Booker are guys that could rise into that area as well if they land in a decent spot. The RB market in the NFL is pretty bad. What does that mean? A lot of good spots for these backs to go into. If Dixon goes to Dallas in the 2nd, or even if they draft someone like a Jonathan Williams in the 4th, they are going to push down some of these WR's.

You also can move that 1.07 for a future 1st. That pick than could become a Cook, Juju, Watson, etc. They are going to be worth at least double what a guy like Edelman and Lacy will get you a year from now. And what did you get out of it? One year of production. Obviously like I have said the picks could end up busting but the hit rate is pretty solid for 1st round receivers.
RB: S. Barkley, D. Swift, J.K. Dobbins, C. Edwards-Helaire, R. Penny, G. Edwards, K. Drake
WR: T. Higgins, M. Evans, B. Aiyuk, C. Watson, K. Toney, M. Thomas, C. Ridley, C. Davis, J. Reagor

12 Team PPR Dynasty
QB: J. Herbert, M. Stafford, J. Winston, D. Lock, M. Mariota, J. Stidham, R. Fitzpatrick
RB: C. McCaffrey, A. Kamara, E. Elliott, J. Dobbin, J. Mixon, A. Mattison, J. White, L. Bell
WR: D. Moore, J. Jeudy, O. Beckham Jr., C. Claypool, C. Davis. D. Parker, L. Fitzgerald, B. Perriman, W. Snead

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:18 am

Wouldn't like Dixon, Booker, A 4th round drafted RB, or a few others at 7. Also not sure anyone here is trading you a high 2017 1st for the leftovers you stated. Perhaps in a league where people were put default into their 2016 draft slot, but not sure post-startup or with these owners. The guys listed can also end up in not so great situations too. People keep thinking Henry to Dallas, but it's unlikely. Cleveland is a death bed for QBs. St. Louis ain't much better. SF has work to do. Coleman is athletic, but has obvious risk. Treadwell is viewed as a WR2. I can see why some would prefer 1.07 to the NFL guys you mentioned, but I can see the contrary as well.

Im not arguing either way, but think one should look both sides, as both can be right (1.07 COULD select the best player, or could select a dud). Regardless, i look forward to seeing what comes of the 1.07 from today to the rookie draft now...

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:25 am

Madadamus wrote:Obviously like I have said the picks could end up busting but the hit rate is pretty solid for 1st round receivers.
Only thing is that all draft classes are not created equal. A 1st round WR in 2014 is not the same as a 1st round WR in 2012, say.

Looking over the past few years:

2010 1st round WRs - DT, Dez

2011 1st round WRs - AJG, Julio, Jonathan Baldwin

2012 1st round WRs - Blackmon, Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, AJ Jenkins

2013 1st round WRs - Austin, Nuk, Cordarelle

2014 1st round WRs - Sammy, Evans, OBJ, Cooks, Kelvin

2015 1st round WRs - Cooper, White, Parker, Agholor, Perriman, Dorsett

2015 you can't really judge yet...especially since injuries hit so hard, but as of now the only big winner there is Cooper, and he would have been off the board at the 1.04 at the lowest. 2014 was a fabulous year, but there was also a ton of buzz about the quality of that class that in retrospect was spot on, a buzz this class certainly lacks. What if the WRs in this draft are more 2012 and 2013 than 2011 and 2014? In 2014, would a player like Doctson be considered above Devante Adams or Cody Latimer - who were selected in the 2nd round? Never mind ARob, Landry, Moncrief and Brown, who were selected late 2nd, early 3rd. Where would Treadwell slot into that 2014 group? When thinking about hit potential, that has to be part of the equation.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:30 am

Put another way...Goff and Wentz will likely go 1.01 and 1.02...but in 2015 I have no doubt they'd be considered behind Mariota and Winston as prospects. Ditto 2014, I believe they'd be considered inferior to Bortles and Teddy.

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:37 am

The NFL draft class is loaded on the defensive side of the ball this year. Just because the WR class is weak does not mean teams are going to take a WR in the 1st round because they are the #1 WR on their board and it's a position of need. They take them in the first round because they believe they are impact starters and first round talents. That is of course not entirely true when you factor in teams that suffer from poor management and poor drafting year in and year out, but for the most part, the top players in the league right now are 1st round players. You are going to have busts, no doubt about it, but it's not like every player in the draft will be Jonathan Baldwin.

If you look at those names you mentioned. The 1st WR taken in each year has been fantasy relevant. Blackmon we all know if he had his head on straight would be crushing the league. Austin is in a bad situation but started to get utilized last year and was actually a player you could start. He is a FA after next year so who knows if he can go to a spot where they utilize him to his fullest. The rest of the guys are legit top 30 start-up picks and some have the potential to be top 5 for years to come.

Is Treadwell or Doctson similar to Amari Cooper? Hell no. But I think Doctson could be a Jordan Matthews type and be a fantasy WR2.

Doctson could be a Latimer, but Adams is a metric freak and I'm not sure the book has been finished on him. Matthews, Robinson, and Landry were all 2nd round guys. Allen and Moncrief were 3rd rounders. I'm not saying that these players are going to become them, but there will be a couple that eventually do.

12 Team PPR Dynasty

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:39 am

Dookmariot wrote:Put another way...Goff and Wentz will likely go 1.01 and 1.02...but in 2015 I have no doubt they'd be considered behind Mariota and Winston as prospects. Ditto 2014, I believe they'd be considered inferior to Bortles and Teddy.
I won't be drafting any of them at 1.01 :shh:

I agree that they aren't on the level of Winston or Mariota, but they sure as hell are much better than the 2014 class.

Wentz is pretty much Bortles for me. Very close. Goff is a top 10 pick, Minnesota took Bridgewater at 32. I don't think Bridgewater is close to Goff at all.

12 Team PPR Dynasty

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:45 am

A lot will depend on landing spot. Teddy in Minnesota is going to have a better career than whichever QB lands in the Factory Of Sadness.

Like I said, though...I think if you like this class you've employed the right strategy. The more picks, the more potential to hit and to be able to absorb the busts.

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:13 am

Dookmariot wrote:A lot will depend on landing spot. Teddy in Minnesota is going to have a better career than whichever QB lands in the Factory Of Sadness.

Like I said, though...I think if you like this class you've employed the right strategy. The more picks, the more potential to hit and to be able to absorb the busts.
The hits have to be huge to absorb busts when a good % of your team value depends on all your picks like it does out of a startup
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:50 am

Madadamus wrote:
I won't be drafting any of them at 1.01 :shh:
Sorry...should have said the first two QBs!

:oops:

Madadamus
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Madadamus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:52 pm

maxhyde wrote:
Dookmariot wrote:A lot will depend on landing spot. Teddy in Minnesota is going to have a better career than whichever QB lands in the Factory Of Sadness.

The hits have to be huge to absorb busts when a good % of your team value depends on all your picks like it does out of a startup
I disagree. Trading down gives you a lot more shots and if half of them hit, that's really all you need.

Look at start-ups just 2 years ago. How many players remain on your team from 2 years ago? You might have that McCoy or Lacy, but you won't see a lot of the same faces at that position on the same team just 2 years later.

Here's some players in the top 60 ADP on DLF taken from post-NFL draft in 2014.

General requirements to be on the list include: Any RB (because the shelf life is so short and their value fluctuates so easily), any player with at least 2 years under their belt considered to be a veteran and a relatively safe floor and they also put up respectable numbers, they aren't considered high risk players), and players that had at least 1 poor season or simply have retired.

Calvin Johnson
LeSean McCoy
Jimmy Graham
Eddie Lacy
Jordy Nelson
Montee Ball
Percy Harvin
Julius Thomas
Pierre Garcon
Victor Cruz
Zac Stacy
Marshawn Lynch
Andre Ellington
C.J. Spiller
Michael Crabtree
Jordan Cameron
Torrey Smith
Alfred Morris
Trent Richardson
Shane Vereen
Arian Foster
Vincent Jackson
DeSean Jackson
Kendall Wright

Here are the two hype players that busted in the first 5 rounds:

Cordarelle Patterson
Justin Hunter

There are a bunch of other names that have obviously lost a ton of value over 2 years. Now of course, this is natural, no one can play forever and all assets begin to depreciate sometime. However, there are assets that appreciate in value over that 2 year period, and you gain so much of an edge if you invest in that sooner. But the key is that RB's are probably going to die off sooner than you think. And it's not even a guarantee that you are getting a couple RB1 seasons out of them. Obviously you can have a Justin Hunter on your hands, but if you took a guy like Michael Floyd, Pierre Garcon, or Victor Cruz over DeAndre Hopkins in 2014, how is that looking for those teams?

Hopkins was discounted because he was unproven in the community standards. As a whole, we need to see at least 1 elite season or a couple of solid seasons before we can safely draft them over proven vets. Hopkins was a 1st round NFL pick, why did we have to wait for him to prove himself the last couple of years when he could have been had in the late 3rd 2 years ago? Sometimes you have to take risks and draft an up and coming star over older vets. I believe that a DeVante Parker or Kevin White from a year ago will be worth so much more than a Demaryius Thomas, T.Y. Hilton or Randall Cobb a year from now. You can easily trade Julio for Parker and White. But is it crazy to think 1 of them will be pretty damn close to Julio a year from now? What happens if both of them are? Why is Amari Cooper so much more valuable than White and Parker? Just because he played a full season and was drafted #3 overall? These are the risks you sometimes have to take to build a dynasty that can compete for years and years. You will have more bullets when you draft these unproven guys, they all don't need to hit for you to have a successful team. You also will have more busts, but a team like mine will have about 10 WR's that will be 1st round talents in rookie drafts (not necessarily in the NFL) after next years draft. If half of them hit, I am looking at a pretty damn good core to build around for years. You'd have to be a pretty poor drafter or have a historic miss to have all those picks or young players bust out.

Even if you only have 3 WR's to build around out of those 10, as long as you have acquired some future assets, your pick is probably going to be really high, you have a lot more options and a much stronger team to build on.

12 Team PPR Dynasty

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:16 pm

The list of players that has had a bad year for fantasy in the NFL=Every player ever
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams