Opinions on Supeflex?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
yankeefan1024
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Opinions on Supeflex?

Postby yankeefan1024 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:34 pm

hey guys

ive always played in standard 10 or 12 team leagues

creating my own serious dynasty startup this year and curious ...

those of you whove done superflex, how is it? do you prefer it , does it make the QB position the premium one it is in the NFL, or does it make the position just overly powerful?

also, do you think superflex is better for a 10 or 12 team league

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Re: Opinions on Supeflex?

Postby zaner75 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:18 pm

I played fantasy football for many years before taking a break and almost always was 1QB as SuperFlex wasn't common. I had played in a couple of smaller home leagues where we played multiple QBs but not as flexes.
Came back to the hobby in 2020 and only wanted to play superflex. For me, 1QB leagues were so vanilla, wait on QB, get a stud TE, load up on RB and WR and hope you hit the breakout waiver wire league winner.
SuperFlex brings relevance back to the QB position, imo. You can tweak scoring settings and starting lineup size so that QB falls in line with other positions instead of being so overpowering that even meh QB2s outscore RB1s/WR1s. In general, the more starting lineup spots, the less impact QBs have. In a start 8 (QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/Flex/SF), if you start 2 QBs, that's 25% of your lineup and only 6 other spots for people to catch up points if you have a QB advantage. In a start 11, now there are 9 lineup spots to make up a QB difference.
A smaller league size (10) doesn't run into the same position scarcity as larger league sizes. Every team can have a backup. In a 12 team league, at least 4 teams won't. So QB value increases with position scarcity. If you don't want to have QBs as the most valuable position, choose 10 teams with large starting lineups. 12+ teams, QBs are gold and trade prices can reflect that.

moishetreats
Legend
Legend

Postby moishetreats » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:17 am

Similar thoughts to zaner75.

For 12-team+, I'd definitely go SF. For 8, I'd definitely go 2QB (actually, I'd even consider 2QB+SF). 10 is right the middle: I'm in two 10-team leagues, and one is 2QB and one is SF. The former is my team 1 in sig. It's a deeper starting lineup, so that's reflected in the 2QB system. The other is a shallower league, so SF makes more sense. They can both work.
10 tms 27 plrs PPR
Start: 2QB 2RB 3WR 2TE 2Flex / best ball

QB: Herbert, Love, Rodgers, G Smith, Stidham, T Taylor, Hall
RB: McCaffrey, Mixon, Pacheco, Montgomery, Z White, Allgeier, Dillon
WR: Hill, St. Brown, Kupp, Allen, Lockett, B Johnson
TE: Kelce, Kmet, Kraft, Okonkwo, Dulcich, Tremble

2024: 2.09, 3.07, 3.08, 3.10, 4.08
2025: 2nd (x2), 4th, 5th (x2)
2026: 1st, 2nd (x2), 3rd, 4th, 5th

12 tms 22 active plyrs. Salary Cap $300 PPR
Start: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1SF 1Flex / best ball

QB: Lawrence (contract through 2026), Love ('24), Rodgers ('24), Stidham ('25), Lock ('25)
RB: Bijan Robinson ('25), Pollard ('27), Dillon ('24), Rodriguez ('24), Spiller ('24)
WR: G Wilson ('26), AJ Brown ('26), DJ Montgomery ('25)
TE: --
2024 Cap Spent: $186

IR: --
TAXI SQUAD (4 max): --

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:27 am

Ryan McDowell has been tweeting out some historical trends from the monthly 1QB mock drafts he runs. I saw that in the past 10(?) years, a QB has had a round 1 ADP 11 times (Luck 10x, Allen 1) That's 11 times out of over 100 months. When middling RB2/WR2 types are more valuable than MVP QBs, that's a serious disconnect. JJ Zachariason made a whole niche out of the late round QB strategy.
In recent SF mock drafts/startups, it 's not surprising for the first 6-7 picks to be QBs and 9-12 to be selected within the first 18-20 picks.
There is not one dominant strategy, like late round QB in 1QB, that can be used in superflex. Elite QBs have the highest value, similar to the NFL but there are many roster building strategies that can work - except zero QB. :lol:

yankeefan1024
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby yankeefan1024 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:32 pm

zaner75 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:27 am Ryan McDowell has been tweeting out some historical trends from the monthly 1QB mock drafts he runs. I saw that in the past 10(?) years, a QB has had a round 1 ADP 11 times (Luck 10x, Allen 1) That's 11 times out of over 100 months. When middling RB2/WR2 types are more valuable than MVP QBs, that's a serious disconnect. JJ Zachariason made a whole niche out of the late round QB strategy.
In recent SF mock drafts/startups, it 's not surprising for the first 6-7 picks to be QBs and 9-12 to be selected within the first 18-20 picks.
There is not one dominant strategy, like late round QB in 1QB, that can be used in superflex. Elite QBs have the highest value, similar to the NFL but there are many roster building strategies that can work - except zero QB. :lol:
I think you have sold me on SuperFlex.

Thank you.

My only question is have you ever found the SF to make the QB position overpowering? What would you consider the ideal roster size configuration to go with?

ive seen others suggest having a larger than "normal" roster size when using superflex so as to make sure, while the QB has more importance than standard leagues, it doesnt flat out eliminate your team from contention not to have one.

i was thinking of doing a lineup like

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
FLEX
FLEX
SUPERFLEX
K
D/ST
7 BENCH

would you recommend a different config?

zaner75
Captain
Captain

Postby zaner75 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 am

I would suggest playing with the scoring settings and see where QBs fall in relation to the other positions. You can bump scoring for other positions by tiering PPR or adding PPC. You can nerf QB scoring a bit by keeping passing TDs at 4 points, having INTs at -2 or more, and/or having a completion percentage bonus/penalty. Scott Fish Bowl scoring has this type of scoring to look at as an example. Best of luck in your league!

yankeefan1024
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby yankeefan1024 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:35 pm

zaner75 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:29 am I would suggest playing with the scoring settings and see where QBs fall in relation to the other positions. You can bump scoring for other positions by tiering PPR or adding PPC. You can nerf QB scoring a bit by keeping passing TDs at 4 points, having INTs at -2 or more, and/or having a completion percentage bonus/penalty. Scott Fish Bowl scoring has this type of scoring to look at as an example. Best of luck in your league!
this is extremely helpful. thank you

SN9-7Titans
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SN9-7Titans » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:30 pm

SF is the way to go. It gives QB the attention it deserves instead of people mindlessly having an average QB and thinking it's enough when they invest in other positions. Someone with decent QBs should be rewarded for that imo.

Sure, the argument is always that you have to play according to league settings and if you invested in too many QBs and it hurts you, you misplayed your hand. But i want to appreciate all positions of football and if it's just offense, at least play with QBs. It balances out the leagues more if someone who lacks at rb/wr/te, is still able to win by having two top 10 QBs for example.
Team NoDrama - 12Team SF 1.5 TEP

QB: Hurts, Tagovailoa, Ridder, Lance, Purdy, Stroud
RB: Hall, Gibbs, Dobbins, Dillon, White, Warren
WR: Higgins, JSN, Jeudy, Aiyuk, Dotson, Amon-Ra, Shakir, Michael Thomas, Gallup, Rondale Moore
TE: Goedert, Meyer, Kincaid, Jelani Woods, Jonnu Smith, Otton, Bryant, Kolar
Picks: 3.07, 4.07
----------------------------

diamonddave
Captain
Captain

Postby diamonddave » Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:18 pm

I don't play SF, but 2QB. I love it. I think SF would be great too but it really does place greater premium on the QBs. There are 32 starting QBs so all of them will be rostered, and many backups also.
12-team, PPR, 2QB, IDP League--Start 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 W/R/T, 2D, 1LB, 1DL, 1DB

QB: Patrick Mahomes, Kyler Murray, Bryce Young, Gardner Minshew
RB: Saquon Barkley, David Montgomery, D'Onta Foreman, AJ Dillon, Kenneth Gainwell, Jeff Wilson, Rico Dowdle, IR: JK Dobbins
WR: Ja'Marr Chase, Devonta Smith, Cooper Kupp, Diontae Johnson, Marquise Brown, Josh Palmer, Dontayvion Wicks, Tutu Atwell
TE: TJ Hockensen, Pat Freiermuth
K: Dustin Hopkins
LB: Roquan Smith, CJ Mosley, Terrel Bernard Ernest Jones, Quincy Williams
DL: Jonathan Greenard , Malcolm Koonce
DB: Jason Pinnock

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:26 am

yankeefan1024 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:34 pm or does it make the position just overly powerful?
this.

there are other ways to make QBs relevant:
- 14+ teams
- adjusted scoring (LESS points for yardage, heavy penalization of turnovers, and -1 for sacks). this helps separate the good from the bad from the ugly, a lot. bortles QB5 on the season? nope, wouldn't happen
- non-ppr. QBs will still be the highest scoring position, and a top range QB will help your team a lot more than it would in a league where random guys can score 20 points.

in a league like that lamar jackson was sold (the offseason before his MVP season) for dj moore straight up. i'm happy with that.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:42 pm

I just won a competitive league starting Kenny Pickett as my only qb, and I’ve seen other leagues won by only starting one average qb. So I don’t think it makes the qb position overpowered, if anything I think it makes the qb position over valued.

I’d also strongly recommend TE premium.

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:20 pm

yankeefan1024 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:32 pm
zaner75 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:27 am Ryan McDowell has been tweeting out some historical trends from the monthly 1QB mock drafts he runs. I saw that in the past 10(?) years, a QB has had a round 1 ADP 11 times (Luck 10x, Allen 1) That's 11 times out of over 100 months. When middling RB2/WR2 types are more valuable than MVP QBs, that's a serious disconnect. JJ Zachariason made a whole niche out of the late round QB strategy.
I think you have sold me on SuperFlex.

Thank you.

My only question is have you ever found the SF to make the QB position overpowering? What would you consider the ideal roster size configuration to go with?

ive seen others suggest having a larger than "normal" roster size when using superflex so as to make sure, while the QB has more importance than standard leagues, it doesnt flat out eliminate your team from contention not to have one.

i was thinking of doing a lineup like

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
TE
FLEX
FLEX
SUPERFLEX
K
D/ST
7 BENCH

would you recommend a different config?
I think K and DST are wasted slots, from fantasy leagues of yesteryear.
Here is what my favorite leagues are currently running:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
Flex
Flex
Flex
SuperFlex

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 am

yankeefan1024 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:32 pmI think you have sold me on SuperFlex.
Did you do it, Yankefan1024? If so, how did the first season go?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser