Startup Strategy for SF 2x TE Premium?

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Startup Strategy for SF 2x TE Premium?

Postby colt77 » Sat May 15, 2021 5:06 pm

Hey guys, I'm in a 12man SF 2x Te premium league with 6pt passing tds. The league is start 1 QB, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 Te, Flex, SF. I'm not sure of where I draft right now, but have been doing various mocks and it seems like you have to punt a valuable position every time. What I mean by this, is I can build a good core of 2-3 Qbs, a decent TE, and maybe one good Rb before I end up with someone like Mike Davis as my RB2 and Kupp as my WR1. Both of them aren't bad, just not people i'd want as my first starting option or RB2 in Davis's case. Just wondering if anyone has expreince drafting with this type of league setup? I know getting two good QBs is important, but the perfectionist in me is sad to see a valuable position suffer. Since it's 3 WR, i'd be starting some very bad guys there. Just some general ideas about what to do would be nice. I know that generally, Wr is the position to punt on because of how easy it is to get production at, but there's also a question to be made about when to value stud Rbs over stud WRs, or TEs. Sorry for rambling, there's just so many thoughts going through my head when I think about trying to set up a stable foundation to consistently compete and more importantly compete for the long haul. Of course getting the 1.01 and Mahomes would be amazing, but what about choosing between someone like Lamar Jackson and Jonathan Taylor? Any advice is appreciated.
12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D
Qbs: Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence
Rbs: Barkley, Breece Hall, Javonte Williams, Swift, Jamaal Williams
Wrs: Deebo Samuel, Olave, Diontae Johnson, Odell, Bateman, Nico Collins
TEs: Kyle Pitts, Higbee, Kittle, Okonkwo
K: Gay
D: -Steelers

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Qbs: Lamar Jackson, Hurts, Tua
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins
TEs: Kittle, Pitts, Jacob Harris
K: Butker

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Re: Startup Strategy for SF 2x TE Premium?

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Sun May 16, 2021 8:00 am

What are the penalties for turnovers? I ask because Safeleagues has pretty much the same format you listed, but turnovers are -4pts. The main impact I've seen is that middle of the road QBs take a hit, so the top QBs are still untouchable, but a guy like Danny Jones or Drew Lock isn't necessarily an auto-start in the flex. I think it's a great format, because there are a lot of ways to build a successful team.
IMO, the top 4 TEs are worth their weight in gold. After that, I wouldn't push TE value up too much. But if you have a chance to get multiple of those top 4, I'd do it. For reference Kelce scored like the qb3 and Waller scored like the qb7 in that format last year. I would be hard pressed to find any RB past the 1st round I'd swap those guys for, and yet they typically go in round 3. You miss on those 4, I'd say punt TE, and load up on a bunch of flyers in the double digit rounds.
Just based on the couple startups I've joined on this format, I'd try to come away with 1 stud QB and one of the top TEs in the 1st 3 rounds. Those are the hardest players to get. As to which position to punt, that probably depends on your league mates. WR is the easiest to fill, but if several teams are waiting on WR, grabbing a few in round 5-7 could give you a loaded corps for cheap. Good luck!
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

colt77
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Startup Strategy for SF 2x TE Premium?

Postby colt77 » Sun May 16, 2021 12:37 pm

ColdZealDonkeyStrike wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:00 am What are the penalties for turnovers? I ask because Safeleagues has pretty much the same format you listed, but turnovers are -4pts. The main impact I've seen is that middle of the road QBs take a hit, so the top QBs are still untouchable, but a guy like Danny Jones or Drew Lock isn't necessarily an auto-start in the flex. I think it's a great format, because there are a lot of ways to build a successful team.
IMO, the top 4 TEs are worth their weight in gold. After that, I wouldn't push TE value up too much. But if you have a chance to get multiple of those top 4, I'd do it. For reference Kelce scored like the qb3 and Waller scored like the qb7 in that format last year. I would be hard pressed to find any RB past the 1st round I'd swap those guys for, and yet they typically go in round 3. You miss on those 4, I'd say punt TE, and load up on a bunch of flyers in the double digit rounds.
Just based on the couple startups I've joined on this format, I'd try to come away with 1 stud QB and one of the top TEs in the 1st 3 rounds. Those are the hardest players to get. As to which position to punt, that probably depends on your league mates. WR is the easiest to fill, but if several teams are waiting on WR, grabbing a few in round 5-7 could give you a loaded corps for cheap. Good luck!
Our turnovers are -3 for an int, so we increased it by 1 over the standard -2. Does that change it a bit, with it not being as harsh as -4? Also, you are confirming what I've been thinking about the top TEs, would you also throw Pitts in his own tier right below the top 4? Seems like he might be worth taking a shot at if someone doesn't overdraft him.
12 Man SF 2point TE Premium PPR 6pt passing Tds - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 3 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, SF, K, D
Qbs: Justin Herbert, Dak Prescott, Trevor Lawrence
Rbs: Barkley, Breece Hall, Javonte Williams, Swift, Jamaal Williams
Wrs: Deebo Samuel, Olave, Diontae Johnson, Odell, Bateman, Nico Collins
TEs: Kyle Pitts, Higbee, Kittle, Okonkwo
K: Gay
D: -Steelers

12 Man 1 QB PPR - Lineup req. - Qb, 2 Rbs, 2 Wrs, 1 TE, 2 Flex, K, D 2021 -Picks- 1.04, 1.11, 1.12, 3.01, 3.04
Qbs: Lamar Jackson, Hurts, Tua
Rbs: Barkley, Swift, Akers, Gus Edwards, Henderson, Lindsey, Rhamondre Stevenson
Wrs: Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, AJ Brown, Bateman, Odell Beckham, Tee Higgins, Cooper Kupp, Nico Collins
TEs: Kittle, Pitts, Jacob Harris
K: Butker