Marqise Lee

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Marqise Lee

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:39 am

I can't help but feel like people are over-analyzing Marqise Lee.

When I put on his 2012 tape, I see an EXPLOSIVE athlete that was mostly regarded as the top college WR prospect. His size was adequate, he had great hands, was a natural catcher, runs smooth routes, can beat DB's vertically - and was really the complete package.

Obviously 2013 was a bit disappointing. But in my opinion, sometimes a perfect storm comes together and even the best have bad games/stretches/seasons. He dealt with coaching turnover, horrendous QB play, a disappointing season, and a knee injury that he clearly played through at less than 100%. Reminds me of what Victor Cruz went through this year. It's not like his talent suddenly went away - but sometimes you have a down year when you deal with sub-par QB play, nagging injuries, and high expectations that result in a disappointing season.

And then people made a huge deal out of Lee's combine showing. He measured smaller than people wanted and definitely ran slower than people wanted. But as Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Pierre Garcon, Antonio Brown, Victor Cruz, Michael Crabtree, and many others have shown us, you don't need to be 6'3 225 lbs to be a team's #1 Wide Receiver. He plays faster on tape than what he put on the watch at the combine, and he just screams like a natural football player to me. Seriously, go put on his 2012 tape and you'll realize that he plays with 4.4 wheels and can flat out ball.

His stock hasn't fallen off a cliff, as he's generally regarded as the 4th - 7th best WR in this class. But it wasn't so long ago that he was considered the #1 WR in this class, or at least the #1A WR in this class with Watkins. I think February - April is a very dangerous time for dynasty owners. It gives us time to over-analyze some prospects and really fall in love with the flavor of the week/month. All of a sudden Mike Evans is the next Megatron. Beckham is going to be a stud. Brandin Cooks is the next Steve Smith. Allen Robinson has A.J. Green potential. Etc. Etc. (for the record, I do like those players in their own right, just think they have leap frogged Lee in a lot of people's minds)

This just seems like a situation that we are all going to look back on 3-5 years from now and wonder - why wasn't Marqise Lee a consensus top3 Wide Receiver in this class? I have the 1.3 and I really think Lee is going to be the choice.

Thoughts?
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Marqise Lee

Postby guyatwork37 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:50 am

If he goes to the Jets, I won't take him in the top 4. If he goes pretty much anywhere else, he's in my top 4 (if he goes to the Eagles, I will take him with the 1.03 and do happy dance backflips). I love the guy. People are going to sleep on him and he will blow it up and folks will be upset they passed on him. Kind of like Keenan Allen last year.

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Wed May 07, 2014 11:52 am

Personally I'm hoping for a Keenan Allen situation. He drops a bit in the draft, drops off the dynasty rookie draft radar and I can nab him early/mid second.

Edit: Err, should have finished reading guyatwork's post... but yeah.

BwK
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BwK » Wed May 07, 2014 12:57 pm

I think he is the 2nd best wr in this class....have felt that way for at least a yr now. I will take him after Sammy all day long and the team he lands with will not sway my decision. I wont be shocked if some wr in this class have better careers when its all said and done but Lee is my #2 all day in this class and all my drafts.
10 team non-ppr no FA pickups
QB- Ryan, Romo, Winston
RB-Foster, GIO, Mathews, L. Murray, JStew, Duke
WR-Green, Sammy, Benjamin, B. Coleman, Fitzgerald, Lee, Latimer, Algholar, C. Coleman, Doctson
TE-Graham, Green
K-Bailey, Prater
DEF-Rams

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:30 pm

kmbryant09 wrote:I can't help but feel like people are over-analyzing Marqise Lee.

When I put on his 2012 tape, I see an EXPLOSIVE athlete that was mostly regarded as the top college WR prospect. His size was adequate, he had great hands, was a natural catcher, runs smooth routes, can beat DB's vertically - and was really the complete package.

Obviously 2013 was a bit disappointing. But in my opinion, sometimes a perfect storm comes together and even the best have bad games/stretches/seasons. He dealt with coaching turnover, horrendous QB play, a disappointing season, and a knee injury that he clearly played through at less than 100%. Reminds me of what Victor Cruz went through this year. It's not like his talent suddenly went away - but sometimes you have a down year when you deal with sub-par QB play, nagging injuries, and high expectations that result in a disappointing season.

And then people made a huge deal out of Lee's combine showing. He measured smaller than people wanted and definitely ran slower than people wanted. But as Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Cris Carter, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Chad Johnson, Steve Smith, Pierre Garcon, Antonio Brown, Victor Cruz, Michael Crabtree, and many others have shown us, you don't need to be 6'3 225 lbs to be a team's #1 Wide Receiver. He plays faster on tape than what he put on the watch at the combine, and he just screams like a natural football player to me. Seriously, go put on his 2012 tape and you'll realize that he plays with 4.4 wheels and can flat out ball.

His stock hasn't fallen off a cliff, as he's generally regarded as the 4th - 7th best WR in this class. But it wasn't so long ago that he was considered the #1 WR in this class, or at least the #1A WR in this class with Watkins. I think February - April is a very dangerous time for dynasty owners. It gives us time to over-analyze some prospects and really fall in love with the flavor of the week/month. All of a sudden Mike Evans is the next Megatron. Beckham is going to be a stud. Brandin Cooks is the next Steve Smith. Allen Robinson has A.J. Green potential. Etc. Etc. (for the record, I do like those players in their own right, just think they have leap frogged Lee in a lot of people's minds)

This just seems like a situation that we are all going to look back on 3-5 years from now and wonder - why wasn't Marqise Lee a consensus top3 Wide Receiver in this class? I have the 1.3 and I really think Lee is going to be the choice.

Thoughts?
Perfectly said, some players are just football fast. Run 4.5 40's, but when on the field no one catches them. It's different when being chased.

PS - Crabtree is 6'1, 215, so i'm not sure he fits physically with those guys :)

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed May 07, 2014 1:44 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:Perfectly said, some players are just football fast. Run 4.5 40's, but when on the field no one catches them. It's different when being chased.
Gus Johnson has a saying for this type of speed.