Watkins 6'0 3/4" 211lbs.

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Watkins 6'0 3/4" 211lbs.

Postby AZK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:51 pm

What does this mean in regards to him being a true wr1?
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Watkins 6'0 3/4" 211lbs.

Postby 1standgoal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Its kind of what I expected. I don't think it changes anything.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:38 pm

1standgoal wrote:Its kind of what I expected. I don't think it changes anything.
In that he is still your 1.01? Or you weren't sold on him?
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:46 pm

PierreThePainter wrote:
1standgoal wrote:Its kind of what I expected. I don't think it changes anything.
In that he is still your 1.01? Or you weren't sold on him?
Just that his Height and Weight were exactly what people have been saying they were since the Watkins discussion began. No one expected him to be 6'3"-230 or 5'10"-190. I don't see how this information changes any opinion about him that someone would have held before, positive or negative.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:49 am

The only piece of new information that I came across yesterday was Watkins' hand size. He measured in at 9 5/8" which is fine. Not remarkably large or small. So there really isn't anything to note except that he is measuring up to expectations.

Which is a good thing.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Actually, I thought he might have weighed in lighter. I was hopeful that he'd be 200 -215 rather than 190-200. He was my 1.01 regardless however, so this news doesn't change anything really. Maybe slightly confirming info if anything. As said above, no one thought he'd be 6'2 230 or 5'10 180.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:11 pm

PierreThePainter wrote:What does this mean in regards to him being a true wr1?

Well, to answer this question - I'll bring this up. Back when H.Nicks was considered good, did anyone ever bring up his physical size as a negative? I remember people liking Nicks' size I think - so this then bodes well for Watkins as the two are just about exactly the same size. I think they are less than a quarter inch apart in height and about 3 lbs in weight.

Much to be seen of watkins yet. Looking forward to watching him run tomorrow. Size isn't an issue for me. And I do think wr1 numbers are a legit possibility for him.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:57 pm

JFever wrote:
PierreThePainter wrote:What does this mean in regards to him being a true wr1?

Well, to answer this question - I'll bring this up. Back when H.Nicks was considered good, did anyone ever bring up his physical size as a negative? I remember people liking Nicks' size I think - so this then bodes well for Watkins as the two are just about exactly the same size. I think they are less than a quarter inch apart in height and about 3 lbs in weight.

Much to be seen of watkins yet. Looking forward to watching him run tomorrow. Size isn't an issue for me. And I do think wr1 numbers are a legit possibility for him.
The WR position was different back then in dynasty, when people had Nicks in their top-5. Now, it's young, deep, and talented. Now, it's tough to imagine him cracking a top-7 of Calvin/Julio/Green/Dez/Gordon/DT/Jeffery. But if his ceiling is 8 above the Cobb/Harvin/Marshall/Allen grouping, there's nothing wrong with that and at his age that ranking can still be super valuable.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:28 pm

40 yrd dash - 4.43 (seems slower then expected)
Vertical Jump - 34" (leaves the impression that he won't be a great red zone target)

Is this just over thinking it or are these concerning numbers?

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:47 pm

Over thinking. I'd rely on his tape/film and resume~ more than any specific combine numbers. Kid has great hands, and plays extremely tough and 4.43 is very good and 34 inch vert is also good but not great, (his long jump of 10'6 off sets his vert a bit I think) and not enough to warrant moving anyone a head of him imo. I expected Watkins to run a high 4.3 something and to jump around 36-38 so I'm a touch disappointed but not really disappointed.
Last edited by Jfever on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Would someone explain to me how runs a 4.34 and a 4.37, but then his official time is a 4.43.?

*Brace yourself for lots of Evans vs Watkins conversations.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Yeah, those adjustments for "official times" always confused me a bit as well. Regardless - Watkins' play speed is elite and a tenth of a second or a couple inches on his vert on his combine won't change that. I expect his pro day numbers to be slightly better as that is normal. Evans did help his cause today. I think owners of the 1.02,1.03,1.04 have a tough decisions on their hands. Guys that must me considered there are Evans, Mathews, Lee, Benjamin,and Robinson imo. Very talented wr class! If leagues draft on talent more than situation or need, I could see 6 of the first 10 picks be wrs. At least 2-3 rb will be overdrafted in rookie drafts I think.

Unknown
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Unknown » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 pm

I have two picks the top five and will probably go WR with both of them even though I have a major need at RB. None of the backs in this year's class seem worth the high pick.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:59 pm

Unknown wrote:I have two picks the top five and will probably go WR with both of them even though I have a major need at RB. None of the backs in this year's class seem worth the high pick.
While none of these RB's look like a franchise changing RB like Peterson, Mccoy, Charles, etc. - RB's nowadays are all about situation.

So long as someone like Hyde, Sankey, Carey, etc. gets drafted to Cleveland/Jacksonville/Tennessee in the 20th-60th pick range, they will hold plenty of value.

To me, it seems like it's easier to separate talent at the WR position. They hold value based on these player evaluations, and often hold that value over time regardless of what their on-field production is early in their career.

RB's, on the other hand, are completely opposite. They are often similar talents that obtain value based solely on situation/production. Look at the 2012 class of Richardson/Blackmon/Floyd/Wright. Richardson has lost almost ALL of his value after a dud 2013 season. Heck, Blackmon still probably holds more value than Trent even after his suspension, and Wright/Floyd are definitely more valuable after WR 5 numbers as rookies and WR 3 numbers as 2nd year players.

Look at this year - Prior to the season, guys like Hopkins/Patterson/Austin were supposed to be the "talented ones" while someone like Bell wasn't supposed to have value. But if/when those RB's produce - all is forgotten and they are valued accordingly.

Back to this year - I fully expect 1-2 RB's out of this class to be considered top15 RB assets by the end of 2014.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

Unknown
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Unknown » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:24 pm

Yeah, situation is definitely more of a factor for RBs. Likely because the career of your average tailback is so short that being drafted to a poor situation can scuttle the career of anybody except a true stud.

I think the difference between this year's and last year's crop is that the WR class is much more talented and deeper. Where would Austin/Hopkins/Patterson go in this year's class? Obviously Sammy is in a class of his own. But not knowing how their rookie seasons would turn out, I'd have a hard time putting them ahead of Evans/Benjamin. I could see arguments for Matthews, Lee, and Beckham. So when I get to the point of reaching for an RB or taking a WR that I really like early in the draft, I think I'll go WR. It'd be different if I had picks in the 7 - 12 range... I could much more justify a tailback witht he later pick.