2014 NFL Prospects

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: 2014 NFL Prospects

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Indibuck wrote:Why no love for RB Carlos Hyde out of Ohio State?

My disclaimer: I am an Ohio State fan. But what I see is a big (listed at 6-0, 242) guy that can pound it inside yet has the speed to cut once and go outside. He has also shown some really nice hands on check down passes. He also doesn't have any major medical issues.

His downside is that he is somewhat limited athletically, and doesn't have elite speed. He also served a 3 game suspension for an altercation with a female at a bar. But other players have gotten a chance for much worse offenses.

In the right offense, I think that Hyde has the tools to be a bellcow RB.
To me he's a poor man's version of Le'Veon Bell, another Big 10 back. With the touches he can probably do okay. There just isn't a lot to get excited about based on what I've seen.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Updating my top 12 thanks to new information and more viewings of different players. (disclaimer that I haven't seen all of these prospects play extensively so some is more word of mouth buzz)

1. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson (haven't seen anything yet to move him out of the top spot)
2. Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin (really warming up to his talent)
3. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt (probably way higher on him than most but he seems solid all-around and doesn't look like he'll bust)
4. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon (wow factor but might need more seasoning but rocketing up draft boards, rank accordingly)
5. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor (bumping him down mostly due to the rise of Mariota and Gordon)
6. Marqise Lee, WR, USC (a lot of other receivers are stepping up this season and he's slowly dropping in my rankings, possibly undeserved but I'm nervous about him)
7. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (another guy I'm on the fence on. eye popping stats but something about him just isn't clicking with me)
8. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina (less risk than ASJ and producing weekly, having a great season)
9. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (not as sold as I was before, still very talented but curious about his competition a bit)
10. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (honestly haven't seen him play but have been reading tons of great things, will likely be rising on my boards soon)
11. Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona
12. Bshop Sankey, RB, Washington (these last two guys are probably the best of the remaining RBs so they'll likely get pushed up boards due to positional scarcity...talent or not, I'll let somebody else worry about Jeremy Hill)

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 am

Vendetta wrote:Updating my top 12 thanks to new information and more viewings of different players. (disclaimer that I haven't seen all of these prospects play extensively so some is more word of mouth buzz)

1. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson (haven't seen anything yet to move him out of the top spot)
3. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt (probably way higher on him than most but he seems solid all-around and doesn't look like he'll bust)
4. Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon (wow factor but might need more seasoning but rocketing up draft boards, rank accordingly)
5. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor (bumping him down mostly due to the rise of Mariota and Gordon)
6. Marqise Lee, WR, USC (a lot of other receivers are stepping up this season and he's slowly dropping in my rankings, possibly undeserved but I'm nervous about him)
7. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M (another guy I'm on the fence on. eye popping stats but something about him just isn't clicking with me)
8. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina (less risk than ASJ and producing weekly, having a great season)
9. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville (not as sold as I was before, still very talented but curious about his competition a bit)
10. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State (honestly haven't seen him play but have been reading tons of great things, will likely be rising on my boards soon)
12. Bshop Sankey, RB, Washington (these last two guys are probably the best of the remaining RBs so they'll likely get pushed up boards due to positional scarcity...talent or not, I'll let somebody else worry about Jeremy Hill)

Good to see some rankings... I am going to make a point to laminate my rankings pre-combine and not touch them. Keenan Allen was high on my list last year, but I missed him in every league because I devalued him.

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:01 pm

Seastrunk would be my number one running back on my board if the season ended today.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:59 am

Look for Marquise Lee to have a big day today. He broke out last game and gets Cal's last ranked pass d. 340+ YPG and a TD:INT ratio of 21:4.

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Whoa look at this report
Arizona State head coach Todd Graham said Oregon State junior Brandin Cooks is the best WR he has seen on film in the Pac-12.
If Graham includes his tenure at Arizona State, not just this season, that means Cooks beats the likes of USC's Marqise Lee, Robert Woods, Colorado's Paul Richardson, Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, and Cal's Keenan Allen. We can't disagree very much, as Cooks consistently separates form the slot or outside and doesn't mind showing off his catch radius.
Source: rotoworld

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm

CL3VELANDBR0WNS wrote:Whoa look at this report
Arizona State head coach Todd Graham said Oregon State junior Brandin Cooks is the best WR he has seen on film in the Pac-12.
If Graham includes his tenure at Arizona State, not just this season, that means Cooks beats the likes of USC's Marqise Lee, Robert Woods, Colorado's Paul Richardson, Oregon State's Markus Wheaton, and Cal's Keenan Allen. We can't disagree very much, as Cooks consistently separates form the slot or outside and doesn't mind showing off his catch radius.
He averages a line of about 10/150/1.5. It's ridiculous and he looks pretty good. Cooks is why I play college football fantasy as well. Most don't hear about kids like this until February if you don't.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:55 am

CL3VELANDBR0WNS wrote:Whoa look at this report
watch the film of him.... always has separation and roadrunner meep meep speed
he is smallish and that doesn't scream wr1 .... but a santana moss ty hilton type of guy for sure
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 am

I normally view these kind of reports as fluff pieces...coaches at both the college and NFL level are ALWAYS fluffing their upcoming opponent's best player in their pressers. However, it can help to put a guy on my radar and make me tune into a game I might not normally check out. Unfortunately this game is being broadcasted I believe on the PAC-12 Network and not one of the standard networks.

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:38 pm

the_lung wrote:I normally view these kind of reports as fluff pieces...coaches at both the college and NFL level are ALWAYS fluffing their upcoming opponent's best player in their pressers. However, it can help to put a guy on my radar and make me tune into a game I might not normally check out. Unfortunately this game is being broadcasted I believe on the PAC-12 Network and not one of the standard networks.
I would be able to offer an opinion if I could take my eyes off the_lung's avatar!! Haha nice

BadgerYou
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BadgerYou » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Vendetta wrote:Updating my top 12 thanks to new information and more viewings of different players. (disclaimer that I haven't seen all of these prospects play extensively so some is more word of mouth buzz)

So I'm going to take this list and modifying it to a 2QB league ranking (since that's what I roll around in)

1. Sammy
2. Gordon - He isn't the average plodder Wisconsin is known for (I know I've watched them all)
3. Mariota
4. Hundley (IF he comes out, probably won't)
5. Bridgewater
6. Seastrunk - I must admit I haven't seen much of his play this year
7. Evans
8. Lee
9. Amaro
10/11. Ebron/ASJ (Depending on if you want the higher ceiling or the safer pick?)
12/13. Matthews/Robinson (I like Matthews more and he should probably be ranked higher but I haven't seen enough of his tape to just toss him up there)
14/15. Sankey/Carey (I like Sankey better, but Carey looks solid)
16. Manziel (in my 2 qb league this guy will be taken before pick 12 in my league due to the importance of the position)
17-21. The next 5 qb's depending on where they get drafted/if they get a chance at starting (this is me being lazy)
22-23. De. Thomas/Ja. White (these guys always scare me, so situation dependant but great talents but I always get sucked in to the "Sproles" type of jack of all trades roles they could fall into)
24-30. ALL WRs that should realistically be rated higher but I know thats not how its going to go on my leagues draft day. The likes of (Cooks, Moncrief, Coleman, Aberderris)

This is a quick and dirty list that I have started on about 10 - 15 post-it notes on my desktop.
"Ask for the world in return, settle for a couple continents" - Trading Studs

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Been hearing lately that Gordon is leaning towards staying in school which would really suck.

CL3VELANDBR0WNS
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby CL3VELANDBR0WNS » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Carlos Hyde and Jay Ajayi are starting to climb my "board".
If Gordon stays in school, I would say that Carlos Hyde may offer the best NFL size and vision out of any back in the upcoming class.

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Thanks for those two names, I'll do some research on them. I was looking at Ka'Deem Carey and Bishop Sankey a fair bit today and while I like them as prospects I'm not in love with them either. I don't think either have the speed necessary to be elite so they'd likely top out as RB2's for fantasy purposes which would still make them worth of a 1st round selection in rookie drafts but likely near the back half of the round. If Gordon stays in school I'd venture that the top 6 might feature as many as 5 WRs. I'm slowly becoming less enthused about Lache Seastrunk. Great playmaker and speed but doesn't look great between the tackles and I wonder about him being more of a complimentary back in the NFL rather than a true #1.

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:31 pm

He's a little short and may have some limitations, but Aaron Murray can ball
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2