Justin Blackmon

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Justin Blackmon

Postby Cojo 2020 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:35 am

What are the takes on Justin Blackmon? I have pick 1.4 in a league that starts 2QB. Because of the 2 QB's I expect Luck and RGIII to go before 1.4 (I really am hoping RGIII or Richardson drop to me), and Richardson probably too. That would leave me with Blackmon, it would seem. But I am stacked at WR. What is Blackmon's upside? If he is there, should I trade down, or just take him? I also have pick 1.8.
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

lukeb
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Justin Blackmon

Postby lukeb » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:09 pm

I don't think Blackmon is as great as people are saying. He is probably the best WR in this class, but it's not a very good class, and he'd have been a distant 3rd last year behind AJ and Julio. If RGIII falls to you, snap him up. I would also see what the owner of the 1.3 wants to move up one pick, b/c then you automatically have one of the two. Otherwise, I would grab Miller or Martin, whichever one you like more.
DLF Writer and Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter at dynastyluke

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:23 pm

lbouchard wrote:I don't think Blackmon is as great as people are saying. He is probably the best WR in this class, but it's not a very good class, and he'd have been a distant 3rd last year behind AJ and Julio. If RGIII falls to you, snap him up. I would also see what the owner of the 1.3 wants to move up one pick, b/c then you automatically have one of the two. Otherwise, I would grab Miller or Martin, whichever one you like more.
Well, I have tried to move up to 1.1 (too pricey), 1.2 (doesn't want to trade) and 1.3 (never responds to trade offers or phone calls)...so I may be stuck at 1.4.
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

FF_Magz
Captain
Captain

Postby FF_Magz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:29 am

Well, I have tried to move up to 1.1 (too pricey), 1.2 (doesn't want to trade) and 1.3 (never responds to trade offers or phone calls)...so I may be stuck at 1.4.
It's also early. A lot of owners with top 5 picks want to wait and see where players land before deciding to trade out.

I have picks 1.02, 1.04 and 1.12... In a one QB league I plan on taking TRich if he falls to 1.02. (The team with 1.01 has AP & Forte, but who knows with their injuries last season, he may go TRich) If not I will probably go RGIII/Blackmon/Luck at 1.02 and 1.04. I actually wouldn't mind trading out of the 1.04 to get Floyd a couple picks back maybe 1.06, the more I read about Floyd, the more I'm beginning to like him more than Blackmon. However, situation/attitude/talent will dictate somewhat.
Team 1 (Victory Points) - 12 Team, PPR - Start 9 1QB, 2-3RB, 2-4WR, 1-2TE, D/ST
QB: Jackson, Goff, Mac Jones,
RB: Montgomery, Gordon, Gallman, Mack, J. Patterson, K. Herbert, S. Perine, Juszczyk,;
WR: Hill, Jefferson, Metcalf, Renfrow, Tyrell Williams, K. Cole, D. Harris, Callaway , T. Patrick, F. Swain;
TE: Jonnu, Engram, Alie-Cox, Juwan Johnson;
2022: 1 (Mid), 1 (Late), 2, 4, 5
Championship: 2020

Cleveland19
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Cleveland19 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:45 am

Im not the biggest fan either. If none of the others fall to you, have you considered moving down? I'm sure someone likes Blackmon. You could then add a player and pick farther down which could be a solid tier 2 RB or tier 2 WR who could be better than Blackmon
12 team, .5ppr, Flex 250 Salary Cap
QB: Kaepernick (1,1,1), Geno (1), Manziel (1,1)
RB: McCoy (39,39), Spiller (13), C Johnson (19,15,10) Tate (10,10,10), Hyde (5,5,5)
WR: Julio (21), A Brown (43,38,33,28,24), Harvin (11), Garcon (9), Patterson (3,3), K Benjamin (2,2,2)
TE: Clay (1)
K: Vinateiri (1)
LB: Pusluszny (5,5), D. Smith (1)
DE: Ware (2,2), Dunlap (1,1)
DB: Burnett(3,4) Barron (6,5,4,3,2)
Cap Space: $9

seahawks506
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby seahawks506 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:49 am

I would rather have Miller and maybe even Wilson/Martin than Blackmon. Do your best to move down to 1.5 or 1.6
orphan rebuild- 3 superflex, nerfed QB scoring 0.5/1/1.5 wr/rb/te PPR
QB: Hurts, Dobbs, Lance, Huntley, Bagent
RB: Swift, Kamara, Sanders, K. Mitchell, Foreman, CEH, Dowdle, Demercado
WR: Lamb, AJB, DK, Hollywood, Jakobi, Lazard, Boyd, Shaheed, Douglas
TE: Chig, Juwan, Conklin, Taysom, Smythe
Picks: 3 2024 2nds

rebuild 2: 1QB PPR
QB: Richardson, Pickett, Mayfield
RB: Achane, E Mitchell, Demercado
WR: Chase, Addison, QJ, J Palmer, Wan'Dale, Claypool, Douglas, Metchie
TE: Kittle, Mayer, Otton, Ferguson
Picks: 3 2024 1sts, 2 2024 2nds

Steagles
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Steagles » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 pm

With the 1.02 in one league and the 1.04 in another, I recently took a long look at Blackmon and came away thinking Jeremy Maclin. Similar frame, physical player, great hands, very smart, good route runner, not injury prone...but lacks elite speed, height and dominance to ever be a top 10 fantasy WR. Even though I think he has a limited ceiling, I think his floor is very high for a rookie and is likely to be a solid WR2 for many, many years.

I'm with the others to trade back to the end of your 2nd tier (1.06-1.08 for mine) and take one of the higher ceiling rookies. However if you end up keeping the 1.04, Blackmon is the boring, but best pick.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:31 pm

He looked like a man amongst boys during that Fiesta bowl game. Stanford had no answer for him.

How many elite WRs were/are his same size?

Nicks, check
Roddy, check
Wayne, check
jerry rice, check

I'm not writing Blackmon off just yet, but I'm not rosterbating over drafting him either. My mind is open & my jury is out.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:30 am

jordanzs wrote:He looked like a man amongst boys during that Fiesta bowl game. Stanford had no answer for him.

How many elite WRs were/are his same size?

Nicks, check
Roddy, check
Wayne, check
jerry rice, check

I'm not writing Blackmon off just yet, but I'm not rosterbating over drafting him either. My mind is open & my jury is out.
Blackmon's playing style reminds me a lot of Fitzgerald. His awareness, body control, and just plain talent are freakish. I agree with what you said...he shouldn't be written off and frankly, I really don't understand the pessimism about him. This WR class is pretty deep with upside talent imo. There are a lot of risk/reward guys.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:56 pm

After watching two games of Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell observed that Blackmon was not on the same level as Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson coming out of college.
Cosell went on to call the 2012 wideout group "not a top WR class" and offered Blackmon a Hakeem Nicks comparison. Nicks was selected 29th overall in 2009 as opposed to Blackmon's projected top-ten status. Public perception leads you to believe differently, but there is no clear top receiver in this year's class.
Rotoworld

Blackmon = Nicks???

I'd take that... :D

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:08 pm

dlf_markb wrote:After watching two games of Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell observed that Blackmon was not on the same level as Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson coming out of college.
Cosell went on to call the 2012 wideout group "not a top WR class" and offered Blackmon a Hakeem Nicks comparison. Nicks was selected 29th overall in 2009 as opposed to Blackmon's projected top-ten status. Public perception leads you to believe differently, but there is no clear top receiver in this year's class.
Rotoworld

Blackmon = Nicks???

I doubt Blackmon runs a 4.49 forty.... which Nicks did at the combine, where people complain the surface is slow. Blackmon will be lucky to get near that even at a much more time friendly pro day.

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:31 am

MR ROURKE wrote:
dlf_markb wrote:After watching two games of Oklahoma State WR Justin Blackmon, NFL Films guru Greg Cosell observed that Blackmon was not on the same level as Andre Johnson or Calvin Johnson coming out of college.
Rotoworld

Blackmon = Nicks???

I doubt Blackmon runs a 4.49 forty.... which Nicks did at the combine, where people complain the surface is slow. Blackmon will be lucky to get near that even at a much more time friendly pro day.
Yeah. I'm with you. If Blackmon runs even in the low 4.5s, I'll be surprised. Will be interesting to see the results later today.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 am

This is the one player that really will dictate most of drafts (the ones where I have top 6 picks)...It can only help me if he impresses today and then gets drafted by the Rams in the top 10 - that would probably keep him in the top 3 in Dynasty Drafts!!!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:51 am

melish1631 wrote:This is the one player that really will dictate most of drafts (the ones where I have top 6 picks)...It can only help me if he impresses today and then gets drafted by the Rams in the top 10 - that would probably keep him in the top 3 in Dynasty Drafts!!!
I agree. Whether I take him or not, I want him to perform extremely well today. I own the 1.02 in my main league and it's value will jump with a low 40-time from Blackmon.

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:01 am

Tim, I have the 1.02 in a rebuild and I hoping for the same...read your posted article, I was tempted to take Luck but your philosophy is in my head!!! I will go against the grain and if I cannot trade, I will take RB #2!
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play