2019 Rule Change Suggestions

Moderator: TrueDawg

jimscafs25
Starter
Starter

Re: 2019 Rule Change Suggestions

Postby jimscafs25 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:59 pm

We need to clean up the rules regarding collusion. Too vague. Use the link below as a guide of what can't happen in the future.

viewtopic.php?f=153&t=167379

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:11 am

OnABloodbuzz wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:44 pm It's tricky to account for years with the bonus/straight set up.

A simple example... I'd argue a player would take a 3 year 9k bonus contract over a 3 year 10k straight contract.

Look to Bell and the Steelers for an example, all about the guaranteed money up front for Bell where the Steelers like to use rolling guarantees through roster bonuses etc. Average yearly value was important, but a secondary issue.
Yes, the ideal solution would be to use guaranteed money to determine the winner... which would also require us to include the contract type with our bids.

ssmith313105
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ssmith313105 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:25 pm

I think we should consider adding contract extensions. Maybe like 1 extension a year and the extension would have to be for 2 years minimum and has to be a bonus contract. The cost of the extension should be a average of the top 5 salaries and in a case where an owner extends a player exceeding the average of the top 5 salaries would have to be given raise of 20%.

Would be a nice way for an owner to keep a player that otherwise would hit the market but gives the player a multi year deal at a competitive salary.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:23 pm

ssmith313105 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:25 pm I think we should consider adding contract extensions. Maybe like 1 extension a year and the extension would have to be for 2 years minimum and has to be a bonus contract. The cost of the extension should be a average of the top 5 salaries and in a case where an owner extends a player exceeding the average of the top 5 salaries would have to be given raise of 20%.

Would be a nice way for an owner to keep a player that otherwise would hit the market but gives the player a multi year deal at a competitive salary.
Eh., I don't think we have enough player movement... or owners paying market value for players. Plus, you're essentially talking about giving teams another franchise tag and just calling it something different. Plenty of players that would get extended would go for MORE than the franchise tag amount on the open market, so I'd be against being able to lock up a guy like that long term below market value. But we can talk about it.

Also, theoretically, the renegotiation could be used to extend players. But people are scared to expose good players to bidding, so it's only ever used to lower the salary of grossly overpaid players and get them off your roster ASAP.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:26 pm

Maybe we can fix QB scoring given how absolutely ridiculous the NFL is at this point. Bortles is coming off a five-turnover game and still scored 20 points by slinging a zillion meaningless yards. On the season with 8 TD, 7 INT, he's the 13th-highest scoring player in our league. He has more points than Melvin Gordon, the RB3 who's having a huge year.

It's so f'ing broken. Let's finally PUNISH turnovers and stop giving a point for every 25 yards passing. 300 yards has become the freaking norm, so we're dolling out 12 points to QBs practically just for showing up. 12 points is a good day for most RB/WR.

Tonystavoli
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Tonystavoli » Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 pm

I honestly haven’t looked at the stats in a while but to hear that about Bortles wow I kind have to agree.

Also agree with the 1 year contract. Not sure how we figure it out. Maybe after a certain dollar amount it is a mandatory 2 year deal. 20/25k?

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Fri May 31, 2019 9:31 pm

We're not going to have time for a lot of rule changes this season. But I would like to look at QB scoring again... I think we made a small change last year but more needs to be done.

OnABloodbuzz
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby OnABloodbuzz » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Wrong thread