COVID-19

The league forum for the Tecmo Bowl Fantasy League

Moderators: TrueDawg, monkeybones, Dionosys

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

COVID-19

Postby monkeybones » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:08 am

We have some decisions to make regarding this upcoming season now that player are opting out.

MFL is listing players who are opting out with a designation of (H). I'm of the opinion that these players should qualify for IR designation. I also think we should increase the IR to 8, for this season only. The kicker would be that the additional 5 must carry the (H) designation.

For the first time in forever we may end up with a schedule where everyone doesn't play each other. If games are skipped I feel like everyone should get a tie for the week and we move on. The best records can still qualify for the playoffs and we can finish the season.

If the season doesn't happen or ends early I propose our season ends and years do not cycle. Rosters will stay exactly the same going into the following season but the IR list will go back down to the traditional 3.

Thoughts? What did I miss? Lets discuss.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: COVID-19

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:57 am

I agree with all of this...

Assuming there IS a season, I think we're going to have players who have not opted out, but who test positive during the season and have to quarantine and thus miss 2-3 weeks. Is this just a "suck it up" situation, or would we allow these players to be placed on IR as well (and promoted once they're cleared)? I know this isn't so different from an injury, where you just have to start someone else... however there's potential for this to be much more widespread than typical injuries, and having that extra roster spot could be important.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:55 pm

TrueDawg wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:57 am I agree with all of this...

Assuming there IS a season, I think we're going to have players who have not opted out, but who test positive during the season and have to quarantine and thus miss 2-3 weeks. Is this just a "suck it up" situation, or would we allow these players to be placed on IR as well (and promoted once they're cleared)? I know this isn't so different from an injury, where you just have to start someone else... however there's potential for this to be much more widespread than typical injuries, and having that extra roster spot could be important.
Good question. I think anyone who tests positive should be IR eligible.

StuUKWI
Captain
Captain

Postby StuUKWI » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:02 pm

I agree with all of the above too.

It not be apples to apples but they've generally not had many Covid issues since starting up the European soccer leagues (or MLS for that matter). I think once all the players start practicing regularly and are getting regular test that there maybe won't be as much disruption as we fear.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:41 pm

I agree.

Dre
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dre » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:28 pm

I agree with all of that

OnABloodbuzz
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby OnABloodbuzz » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:17 am

Agreed too

Craig0331
Captain
Captain

Postby Craig0331 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:25 am

Agreed. All seems pretty logical to me under the circumstances.

VanElls
Role Player
Role Player

Postby VanElls » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:27 pm

Agreed.
Continued discussion/flexibility will be required throughout the season.

Its an f'd up year.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:34 pm

Was just thinking... salaries for players on IR count against the salary cap. With the COVID situation, I'm not sure that's fair. Maybe we consider changing that just for this season?

Craig0331
Captain
Captain

Postby Craig0331 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 am

So as someone who’s already lost three WRs to COVID opt outs, do we really need a limit on how many players we can put on the IR this year? Can we do an honor system where we keep the IR the way it always has been for regular injuries, and maybe we don’t put a limit on COVID related IR trips? Just thinking the amount of players that will wind up on this list through out the year could be really high.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 am

TrueDawg wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:34 pm Was just thinking... salaries for players on IR count against the salary cap. With the COVID situation, I'm not sure that's fair. Maybe we consider changing that just for this season?
We could move the players to the taxi squad for just this year?

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:58 am

Craig0331 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 am So as someone who’s already lost three WRs to COVID opt outs, do we really need a limit on how many players we can put on the IR this year? Can we do an honor system where we keep the IR the way it always has been for regular injuries, and maybe we don’t put a limit on COVID related IR trips? Just thinking the amount of players that will wind up on this list through out the year could be really high.
I'm not a fan of unlimited because it allows teams to stash players for next year. I think 8 is a reasonable amount but if other disagree we can discuss it more and have a vote.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:07 am

monkeybones wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 am
TrueDawg wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:34 pm Was just thinking... salaries for players on IR count against the salary cap. With the COVID situation, I'm not sure that's fair. Maybe we consider changing that just for this season?
We could move the players to the taxi squad for just this year?
Maybe that's a better solution than IR for the players who opt out... if that prevents their salary from counting against the cap.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:09 am

Craig0331 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:37 am So as someone who’s already lost three WRs to COVID opt outs, do we really need a limit on how many players we can put on the IR this year? Can we do an honor system where we keep the IR the way it always has been for regular injuries, and maybe we don’t put a limit on COVID related IR trips? Just thinking the amount of players that will wind up on this list through out the year could be really high.
2 of those 3 WRs have 1 year contracts. If there's no season, I think we'd end up NOT cycling contracts (subtracting a year when the next offseason starts). However, if there IS a season, those dudes will be free agents... so you might as well cut them now.

UNLESS we're going to NOT cycle contracts for players who opt out, even if there's a season.