Are you kidding me?

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Are you kidding me?

Postby bruiser » Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 am

This from the commish in a league that I let Demarcus Ware's contract expire before the May 1st deadline:
With the changes in players positions what I have decided to do is give players a transition year until they are fully switched over (similar to fantasy baseball). For example Mario Williams and Jerry Hughes were both DE's last year and their defense is getting switched to a 3-4 where they are most likely going to be OLB. This season they will be eligible at both DE and OLB. Assuming they stay in the 3-4 defense for next season, they will be only eligible at OLB for the 2016 season. I think this is the fairest way to handle it.
Has anyone ever heard of such thing?
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Are you kidding me?

Postby breeze » Tue May 12, 2015 5:05 am

Rules like that must be put into effect prior to roster moves and should be voted on by the entire league. A minimum of majority wins. I'm a big advocate of votes need to be unanimous to switch things like this. Too late in the game to make this call. Sounds like somebody got burned by Hughes/Mario which was something expected to happen and the commish is abusing power. Position changes happen and ignorance of that should not be rewarded like this. I don't mind the rule itself, but it needed to be put into effect prior to May 1st contract deadline.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Tue May 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I smell tuna.

the_future
All Pro
All Pro

Postby the_future » Tue May 12, 2015 8:22 pm

Issue with this is there most likely wasn't a clear rule and this is the fault of the commish.

Any experienced commish understands that this happens all the time and you have to have rules set for absolutely every possible scenario in your leagues.

This should have been handled in one of two ways:
1) Commish does not mess with the positional changes and players are counted as their actual positions.

2) league vote. Tie goes to to option number one.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue May 12, 2015 9:31 pm

UPDATE: Commish came thru tonight and proclaimed that anyone (me) would be able to use his new ruling retroactively to May 1st and extend contracts of players if they provide evidence of a position change (there are 50 or so each year).

Short story: commish accepted my plea for fairness in the matter. He still has a lot of unnecessary handiwork to do because of this idea. I would just do as every other league does and let the software do the heavy lifting.

vtguy88
Role Player
Role Player

Postby vtguy88 » Thu May 14, 2015 9:46 am

The way ESPN runs their leagues, and assigns player positions, they all basically shake out exactly along the line of this rule without having to do much. I'm a big proponent of doing it this way, as it allows a smoother transition for everyone and gives players more predictable value. That being said, yes, he should have put it to a vote first.
12-Team PPR & IDP(1.5/solo,4.5/sack,6/int,etc) 8 off., 10 IDP starters w/ inflated QB scoring
QB: M.Stafford,J.Cutler
RB: G.Bernard,J.Hill,S.Ridley,C.Michael,C.Hyde,I.Crowell,J.McKinnon,C.Sims
WR: J.Jones,A.Jeffery,S.Watkins,D.Hopkins,J.Gordon,O.Beckham,P.Richardson,B.Quick,J.Hunter
TE: L.Green,T.Kelce
LB: B.Wagner,N.Bowman,S.Weatherspoon,D.Davis,D.Washington,K.Robinson,S.Moore,T.Smith,P.Brown
DE: C.Jones,G.Hardy,C.Johnson,J.Hughes
DT: N.Suh,G.Atkins
CB: A.Verner,J.McCourty
S: M.Burnett,D.Whitner

12-Team,12-keeper, non-ppr, IDP-1pt/tackle,3/sack, 4/INT, etc
QB: M.Ryan
RB: D.Murray,A.Foster,T.Mason,I.Crowell,S.Vereen,J.Randle,C.Michael
WR: AJ Green,A.Jeffery,J.Gordon,M.Evans,A.Robinson
TE: D.Walker,E.Ebron
LB: L.David,B.Wagner,M.Kendricks,D.Trevathan,T.Smith
DT: J.Casey
DE: M.Wilkerson,E.Ansah
CB: J.McCourty
S: H.Smith,J.Cyprien

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu May 14, 2015 10:31 am

vtguy88 wrote:The way ESPN runs their leagues, and assigns player positions, they all basically shake out exactly along the line of this rule without having to do much. I'm a big proponent of doing it this way, as it allows a smoother transition for everyone and gives players more predictable value. That being said, yes, he should have put it to a vote first.
Yeah, ESPN burned me last year allowing my opponent to start Julius Peppers as lineman where he was clearing standing up as a linebacker. Not a fan of artificial values and this sort of thing, but happy to at least get my player back and misuse him 8-)

Rampage965
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Rampage965 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:27 pm

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
QB: C.Newton, C. Wentz, M. Mariota, J. Garropolo
HB: J.Hill, T. Gurley, L. Blount, D. Martin, F. Gore, J. Rodgers, W. Smallwood, C. Sims
WR: D.Bryant, D. Hopkins, D. Adams, D. Moncrief, S.Watkins, J. Matthews, K.Allen, K. White, J. Doctson, J. Maclin
TE: T.Eifert, C. Brate
K: Currently Open
DL / EDG: M.Wilkerson, M. Ingram, W. Mercilus, D. Hunter, B. Graham
LB: N.Bowman, J. Collins, T. Whitehead, M. Jack
DB: E.Weddle,
10 Team: PPR, Points for Special Teams/BigPlays
Start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR/RB, TE, K, DL, DL, DL, LB, LB, DB, DB
2017 1.03, 2.08, 3.03, 4.06, 5.03, 6.07, 7.03