k

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
themackdaddy
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

k

Postby themackdaddy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:01 am

k
Last edited by themackdaddy on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: keep deone buchannon or mark barron?

Postby breeze » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:04 am

I'd keep Buchanon over Barron with ease.

To keep Buchanon, what offensive player would you need to cut? I'm not a fan of keeping DBs but it depends on your roster set up.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

themackdaddy
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

a

Postby themackdaddy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:31 am

a
Last edited by themackdaddy on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:53 am

My preference would be to cut Jordan over Ware. Atleast Ware will produce. How long will you wait on Jordan to even touch the field? He is totally misplaced in a 4-3 defense too.

I also don't think Pitta will ever be usable. He blew out his hip in two straight years. And both were non contact injuries. The Ravens can say what they want about him but after those injuries I'm not even sure if he will ever be able to walk correctly again much less play football. I've seen people with hip injuries that lead to hip replacements. It's not good.

Overall, you can make a case to cut any of those but Fletcher Cox. Definitely keep him. Good luck

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Buchanon
Last edited by bruiser on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:56 pm

Bobby Bruiser wrote:I have Barron and McDonald. McDonald's contract is up and he's potentially going elsewhere after the Rams spent 2 draft picks for Barron in a trade. Perhaps draft pedigree doesn't mean everything, but Barron was taken with the 7th overall pick just a couple years ago. He's a stud. McDonald was a product of the system. Keep em both if you're not convinced because one of them (the one in the box) will be a top level producer over the next few years. Bucannon... I don't know, he's still so young.
Huh? Are we talking about the same Mcdonald.

TJ Mcdonald has 2 more years left in his contract. He was phenomenal this year. And it was only his second season in the league. He will continue to improve. The Rams traded a 4th and 6th round pick for Barron. Likely saw value and went for it. Mcdonald is a 2nd round pick and was 1 of only 2 players in the league to play every single defensive snap this year. Barron is a stud? More like Barron is a bust. He is such a liability in coverage that he was only given snaps this year to blitz or play special teams. Given how they uses Barron, it suggests that they acquired him because they had no faith in Dunbar as there 3rd LB so used Barron instead in certain scenarios. There is a reason he was traded for two late picks.

I'm not even trying to be rude but this is not only bad advice but it's totally inaccurate.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:17 pm

If you only start two DBs I wouldn't be keeping any of them. We start four and I generally only keep Morgan Burnett. Lots of people do keep their DBs but there are still always good options on the waiver wire. I even stopped drafting DBs last year and still finished top three in the league. So in summary, don't keep DBs. And stuff.
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:42 pm

Team Tacos wrote:If you only start two DBs I wouldn't be keeping any of them. We start four and I generally only keep Morgan Burnett. Lots of people do keep their DBs but there are still always good options on the waiver wire. I even stopped drafting DBs last year and still finished top three in the league. So in summary, don't keep DBs. And stuff.
Agreed....However look at the guys he would keep over potential top 10 DBs...Crockett Gilmore? Dennis Pitta? Dion Jordan? Those guys are all drop able so I might as well keep a DB that will start for my team

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:12 am

Sorry for not being clearer: McDonalds contract is up on my squad in 2015.

I'm not gonna say that your Buchanon sucks just because I disagree with you about Barron. That would not only be rude, but I would look like an idiot calling out an NFL player when I'm not even qualified to.
Last edited by bruiser on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:06 am

Ahh. That makes more sense about McDonald's contract comment.

I still don't agree with you view though. Just because Barron was a high draft pick doesn't mean he is automatically better than the other guy in the NFL. Look at his college teammate TRich.

Also, Mcdonald only got snaps because of injuries also seems like a very iffy statement. The Rams CBs were banged up but not their safeties. Mcdonald entered the season as starting SS and ended their...without missing a single snap. Barron was acquired mid way through this season. So week 9 was his first week on the Rams. If the Rams wanted Barron to be their every down SS why would Mcdonald play every single defensive snap this entire year while Barron sat on the bench the majority of game even when the Rams where out of the playoff chase.

Let's throw out week 9 because Barron was acquired only a few days before that and I remember specifically he didn't log a single week 9 snap. Here are Barrons snap percentage while Mcdonald was 100% every week.

Week 10: 50%
Week 11: 17%
Week 12: 21%
Week 13: 59%
Week 14: 23%
Week 15: 24%
Week 16: DB
Week 17: 29%

Now let's take a look at Jo-Lon Dunbar's (Rams WLB who subs out in pass situation since Laurinaitis and Ogletree are the nickel backers)
Week 1: 67%
Week 2: 63%
Week 3: 64%
Week 4: Bye
Week 5: 51%
Week 6: 63%
Week 7: 39%
Week 8: 73%

Barron Acquired

Week 9: 49%
Week 10: 33%
Week 11: DNP
Week 12: 6%
Week 13: 17%
Week 14: 25%
Week 15: 28%
Week 16: 27%
Week 17: 47%

There is a direct correlation. Looks to me that the Rams just wanted a replacement to Dunbar. Mcdonald isn't good in coverage but Barron (in his NFL career so far) has been down right brutal. By watching Rams games and backing it up by snap data. I've come to concussion that Mcdonald is the starting SS. Dunbar plays LB early downs....Barron was used on nickel defense to primarily blitz (he blitzed about half of his snaps) and in 3rd and long when they wanted to play coverage they brought in Lamarcus Joyner, Roberson, Trumaine Johnson depending on injuries at the time.

Your welcome to take the Colts mindset when they acquired TRich of "he was drafted high and a beast in college so he is awesome" approach and value Barron over Mcdonald, I'll value the guy that is a better NFL player so far that made huge strides last year and has the Rams trust given he never left the field.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:00 am

Breezy12 wrote:
Team Tacos wrote:If you only start two DBs I wouldn't be keeping any of them. We start four and I generally only keep Morgan Burnett. Lots of people do keep their DBs but there are still always good options on the waiver wire. I even stopped drafting DBs last year and still finished top three in the league. So in summary, don't keep DBs. And stuff.
Agreed....However look at the guys he would keep over potential top 10 DBs...Crockett Gilmore? Dennis Pitta? Dion Jordan? Those guys are all drop able so I might as well keep a DB that will start for my team
I am actually keeping 3 DBs this off season (Calvin Pryor DB | NYJ, T.J. McDonald DB | STL, Deone Bucannon DB | ARI) just for this reason. We start 2 DBs (and one DEF Flex) each week but really who would I keep over them? 10 team 48 man rosters +5 IR spots.

Actually I just looked at my league, besides me keeping 3 (with Pryor a possible cut before the draft) and one other team keeping 2 DBs (Church and Weddle), every other team in the league has between 6-8 DBs on their roster! :wtf:

themackdaddy
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

c

Postby themackdaddy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:56 am

b
Last edited by themackdaddy on Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:08 am

themackdaddy wrote:hey breezy where did you get the snap% information from?
Footballoutsiders.com

There are sites that let you compare players easier but this one is free so that's why I use it.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Who emerges from camp as the SS starter will be the real indicator. And I'm pretty sure Dunbar has been the SAM since Ogletree burst onto the scene as WLB in 2013. Your snap data is correct on him too. And that's an indictment on his poor coverage skills (not uncommon for SAM LBs), hence the chance to get Barron on the field with his new team.
Last edited by bruiser on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:33 pm

themackdaddy wrote:hey breezy where did you get the snap% information from?
I use sportingcharts.com because of the easy sorting. Very useful info in an easy to find format