Jabril Peppers

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
dvpkwys
Captain
Captain

Jabril Peppers

Postby dvpkwys » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:42 pm

Not the start I was hoping for! Didn't notice him a lot, and obviously didn't put up a lot of production. Nothing to worry about, should he bounce back?
10 Team - NON PPR (5 Round Rookie Draft) - Start 2QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 4DB, 4LB/DL/DB

Burrow/Howell (Murray, Geno)
Taylor/Swift (Sanders, Conner, Gibson, Miller, Spears Lenny)
Adams/Godwin/Higgins/McLaurin (DJ Moore, Hopkins, Tillman)
Kelce (Hockenson)
Budda/Holland/Blackmon/Minkah (Sydney Brown)
Bosa/Bernard/Okereke/EJones (Elliss)

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Jabril Peppers

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm

He's a hybrid LB/S who should be playing dime LB. He's not a good safety, just a box player. Even that he hasn't done much with. Evaluators fell in love with the tools and forgot he has no tool box.

icemic
Rookie
Rookie

Postby icemic » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 pm

I realize he’s not a great real life player, but from a fantasy perspective he was doing all the things you’d want a safety to do. I think the points will come. As a bonus he’s returning punts again and they are talking about using him on offense as well.
16 Team Dynasty Start: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 2DT, 2DE, 3LB, 2CB, 2S .5 ppr
QB - Lawrence, Tua
RB - Henderson, Javonte Williams, Lindsay, Stevenson, Jaret Patterson
WR - McLaurin, Corey Davis, Michael Thomas, Terrace Marshall, Christian Kirk, Marquez Callaway, Quez Watkins, Tyrell Williams, Quintez Cephus, Mike Strachan
TE - Logan Thomas, OJ Howard, Granson, Tremble
DT - Oliver, Kinlaw
DE - Myles Garrett, JJ Watt, Jordan, Hendrickson, Paye
LB - Kendricks, Mosley, Simmons, Parsons, Holcomb, Okereke, Barnes, Barton, Mykal Walker
CB - Carlton Davis, Kenny Moore, Sneed
S - Poyer, Khari Willis, Dugger, Peppers

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:27 pm

icemic wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:35 pm I realize he’s not a great real life player, but from a fantasy perspective he was doing all the things you’d want a safety to do. I think the points will come. As a bonus he’s returning punts again and they are talking about using him on offense as well.
You have to factor in whether he's a good real life player or not. If not, he's gonna hit the bench. People like his name, he's a sell, especially in return yardage leagues.

Bronco Billy
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Bronco Billy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:42 am

Peppers is the classic example of a guy who covered his weaknesses in college with superior athleticism, but when he got to the NFL where almost everyone is a great athlete they get exposed.

That isn’t to say he’s a bad player, but just that he may have entered the league at or near his maximum potential. He’s way too small to be a regular down LB, so what would be his saving grace that would get him on the field and into productive opportunities with his strong athletic ability would be coverage - but his coverage skills and ball skills are a weakness. What he could excel at in college by being a bit reckless and a freelancer are exactly what get him in trouble in the NFL, where other players are much closer to him athletically but put him in bad spots because of his lack of instincts and their superior technique, discipline and football knowledge.

I think Peppers has likely maxed out as one of those almost typical S2s who will give you 55+/- solos, 25+/- assists, very few PDs, and almost no to none turnovers or sacks. Solid performance but just a relatively low ceiling year after year. That’s not bad, but it is replaceable. If he’s ever going to be anything more, he’s going to have to reinvent himself and dedicate an entire offseason or two doing nothing but spending literally hundreds of hours learning how to move and anticipate in NFL level coverage from someone who is already an acknowledged expert at it.

IMO only, of course.