DL Rookie Rankings - 2020

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

DL Rookie Rankings - 2020

Postby lukkynumber13 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been around much. Crazy life stuff! Right off the bat, I have done very little film watching on this year's class so far, so admittedly I am almost purely going off of guys whose opinions I trust (TDN, and Brett Kollman as well) combined with the situations that they landed in, and what I know about the players already there.

Ok, so this draft pretty much blows for IDP, at least as of RIGHT NOW (Remember back when the 2017 class was loaded with 1st round Edge talent? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Obviously we have one top-tier stud, some really quality LBs, and I think ONE sure-fire strong safety darling. In a DT-Premium league, a little more sex appeal there too.

Here are my rankings!

Defensive Linemen
1. Chase Young - Not much to say, but I'll tell you right now even in a STACKED offensive class, I'm going to look at taking him in the top-8. Knowing the RB and WR names in the top 8, that's saying a lot.
MASSIVE TIER BREAK
2. Javon Kinlaw is my DL2 - He fits the profile I'm looking for in IDP, that of the 6'5/6'6, 290-310 LB game-wrecker in the mold of Fletcher Cox, DeForest Buckner, Chris Jones, etc. Plus, I absolutely love that he will be rushing the passer next to Nicky Bosa.
3. Derrick Brown - if you want to take him over Kinlaw, I'm not saying you're wrong. I think he offers a higher career floor for sure, as a proven NFL-level asset, but I don't know if you are going to get anything more than the type of numbers we have seen from guys like Grady Jarrett (last couple years at least), Kenny Clark, or Kawann Short. Those guys have all had really nice seasons, and make for GREAT DT2s, but I think Kinlaw could be a top-2 or top-3 DT in the NFL, reaching double-digit sacks in multiple years and 55+ combined tackles.
TIER BREAK
4. Yetur Gross-Matos - Should be a high-floor DE career-wise, in the mold of a Trey Flowers or Jabaal Sheard in terms of statistical ceiling. I think he will split starting reps with Weatherly right off the bat, and maybe be a 70% guy by season's end.
5. K'Lavon Chaisson is ranked a spot lower than he would be IF we knew Yannick was gone for sure (which does seem like the logical conclusion, but you never know), thus opening up a spot across from 2nd year freak Josh Allen, and also IF we had certainty that he will get the DE tag. With his tweener size, there's a chance he plays as a 4-3 rush LB, a la Bruce Irvin. There's also the factor of Chaisson having a very underwhelming career in college from a production standpoint, for a variety of reasons. High ceiling though, theoretically.
TIER BREAK
6. Darrell Taylor checks in here, largely because of a huge opportunity in Seattle for playing time. He's an older prospect, and doesn't have crazy high draft pedigree (for being my 4th ranked DE, that is), but is well worth the gamble that he sticks in the starting rotation for the Seahawks (y'all know I have never thought Collier was good).
7. AJ Epenesa may be ranked 2-3 spots too low. I may be getting totally swayed by some bad combine numbers (how's that working out for Dalvin Cook and DK Metcalf?). Some concerns with him, beyond the post-combine draft fall, are that he may be a guy who gets the DE tag but plays largely inside, and also the intense rotation Buffalo often puts their DL through.
8. Ross Blacklock could be the missing penetrator that Houston needs next to Watt and Mercilus. If he went to a 4-3 front, and was guaranteed the DT tag, Id be tempted to bump him up a spot.

Sadly, I would have to be pretty deep in a draft to consider Marlon Davidson, Raekwon Davis, Julian Okwara, or Anfernee Jennings. Mostly just watch list or taxi squad guys. I see Davidson as a run-stuffer for ATL, and Raekwon is a classic "looks great getting off the bus" kind of guy, but will he stick in the League?

Josh Uche, IF MFL labels him as a DE (doubtful), is worth a spot at #9 in my ranks. I think he will play a large role even as a rookie, playing off the edge and also some stand up, as NE replaces Van Noy.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

ckrumm24
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: DL Rookie Rankings - 2020

Postby ckrumm24 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:06 am

Thanks for the rankings! I’m curious what your DL scoring is to justify picking Young that high. Our league constantly drafts guys like Bosa, Young etc. at the end of the first, early second and it makes no sense to me given the best case scenario is scoring equivalent to tight ends (almost never out scoring the top TE). Also, our free agent draft always has fringe DL1s available to pick up for prices that never reach “excessive” (salary cap league). Can Heyward was the DL2 last year for Pete’s sake.
12 team IDP Salary Cap w/ contracts 40 man roster + 20 taxi spots | 4 year max contract w/ Franchise(1)/Transition(2)/RFA Tags). Mostly mirrors real NFL.

Full Roster:
https://www59.myfantasyleague.com/2020/ ... =0008&O=07

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri May 08, 2020 10:43 am

ckrumm24 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:06 am Thanks for the rankings! I’m curious what your DL scoring is to justify picking Young that high. Our league constantly drafts guys like Bosa, Young etc. at the end of the first, early second and it makes no sense to me given the best case scenario is scoring equivalent to tight ends (almost never out scoring the top TE). Also, our free agent draft always has fringe DL1s available to pick up for prices that never reach “excessive” (salary cap league). Can Heyward was the DL2 last year for Pete’s sake.
You're welcome!

Regarding the scoring, I feel your pain for sure. The 1st dyno league I was in was like that. Top DLs would score MAYBE 12-13 points per game - a big reason why I left that league eventually.

In the leagues in my sig, a game where you get 1.5-2 sacks may well give you 35+ points. An elite edge rusher is arguably the best cornerstone you can build around, in these leagues.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun May 10, 2020 10:52 am

Lukky, I'm a bit biased because I drafted Epenesa in the 4th round, but I like his size more than Chase Young for the NFL. They both land in IDEAL spots: loaded 4-3 fronts.

Watch their tape. Epenesa has JJ Watt size. Young is smaller than Clowney.

If not for the amount of offensive talent in this class, Epenesa would have been a mid-1st rounder. Buffalo targeted him and traded back out of the 1st accordingly. BIG plans.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

millworkguy
Captain
Captain

Postby millworkguy » Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 pm

Start 2 de league, does the fact that buffalo typically scores its def well (as their is no def'n of what is a tackle in the nfl) alter your rankings of epenesa and gross-matos as epenesa will obviously play 8 games at home?
PPR IDP Contract Cap:
ConF (16 Team)
DAF (16 team)
DW2- Co-Commish (16 Team)

PPR IDP Salary Cap:
Hardcore - LAC (32 team)
T1 - Commish (12 team)
T2 - Commish (16 Team)

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun May 17, 2020 2:45 pm

millworkguy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:41 pm Start 2 de league, does the fact that buffalo typically scores its def well (as their is no def'n of what is a tackle in the nfl) alter your rankings of epenesa and gross-matos as epenesa will obviously play 8 games at home?
If Epenese gets listed as a DT, this changes things. If they are both DEs, I want Gross Matos more.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Sun May 17, 2020 4:02 pm

Interesting. I hadn't considered Epenesa moving to DT. I think he'd have to put on some weight to move inside (given his length), but I could be wrong. Funny that Gross-Matos was brought up, he was drafted one spot ahead of me selecting Epenesa in a 16-team league (4th round). I immediately made a small wager with that owner. I do like Gross-Matos, to be fair, as he landed in a great spot too.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Sun May 24, 2020 1:20 pm

Well guys, I have absolutely put my money where my mouth has been! I’ve taken Kinlaw in all 3 rookie drafts this year. Taken him above guys like Chinn, D Brown, Kenneth Murray, Chaisson, and offensive players such as Hamler, Jordan Love, Van Jefferson, and Kmet.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 am

lukkynumber13 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:20 pm Well guys, I have absolutely put my money where my mouth has been! I’ve taken Kinlaw in all 3 rookie drafts this year. Taken him above guys like Chinn, D Brown, Kenneth Murray, Chaisson, and offensive players such as Hamler, Jordan Love, Van Jefferson, and Kmet.
Wow! I like it. Serious gumption.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:46 am

Team Tacos wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 am
lukkynumber13 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:20 pm Well guys, I have absolutely put my money where my mouth has been! I’ve taken Kinlaw in all 3 rookie drafts this year. Taken him above guys like Chinn, D Brown, Kenneth Murray, Chaisson, and offensive players such as Hamler, Jordan Love, Van Jefferson, and Kmet.
Just nabbed Kinlaw at pick #45 (end of the 3rd, 16 team league). Stoked!

AkaliWarrior
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby AkaliWarrior » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:07 pm

@Bruiser- There is no way that Epenesa comes even remotely close to Young in regards to his fantasy relevance. Someone said that Epenesa could move to DT, but that's impossible. The guy is way too small. Epenesa is going to be a rotational piece his rookie year, and won't even be flex consideration. I think he has a chance to carve out a Ryan Kerrigan type of role in the NFL. but doubtful he'll even be a weekly fantasy starter, let alone a nucleus piece for your squad, ala Young.

@Lukky- Derrick Brown has virtually no pass rush upside in the NFL, IMO. The guy is a run stuffing hog. Unless you get insane DT points for tackles, Brown is going to be a much better NFL player than fantasy player. Gross-Matos is the easy #2 or #3 choice. I like Kinlaw, but I don't see him being elite. Everyone was all over Ed Oliver as the next Aaron Donald, last year, and look what he did. I also don't think Kinlaw has anywhere near the natural talent that Oliver has.

If Chaisson actually gets DE eligibility, then I think he vaults up the chart to #2. He's a stud. Sadly, I fear the OLB designation, where he'll be stuck in fantasy purgatory.

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:36 pm

Team Tacos wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:46 am
Team Tacos wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:57 am
Just nabbed Kinlaw at pick #45 (end of the 3rd, 16 team league). Stoked!
Has anyone seen any trades for him? Traded away most of picks and couldn’t get back in. Guy that drafted him is tough to trade with. How much you be willing pay? DT required, slight premium- 4 pts vs 2 pts per tackle
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich
Taxi- Kincaid, QJohnston

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:35 pm

2nd year league and they decided a slow auction after draft could be a nice bridge between draft and waiver wire open (sometime nearer season start) I'm up to $326 of $2000 budget on Kinlaw. PLEASE let him be the stud Lucky is predicting lol.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TB3falcons » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:33 pm

In sig (need to update one of these days). Bought Chase Young (1.10) and Anthony Miller for 1.16 and my future 1st (should be late, but who knows with this season- my team is reigning back2back champs).
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

IR1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby IR1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:58 pm

Got Darrell Taylor at the end of the 5th round without knowing too much about him. Did a player search on the DLF site and saw a trade of Taylor for Hunter straight up. Does he really have a ceiling that high? Assuming some picks got left out of the trade information?
10Team PPR-QB/RB/WR/WR/TE/PK/flex-DT/DE/DE/LB/LB/LB/CB/CB/S/S/flex
QB- Herbert, Tua
RB- Barkley, Swift, Montgomery, Dobbins, Walker
WR-Adams, ARSB, JWilliams, Godwin, Metcalf, Allen, Kirk, Flowers
TE- Kelce, Goedert
PK
DT- Buckner, Simmons, QWilliams,
DE- Hunter, JBosa, Thibodeaux, JPHillips, Rousseau, Paye, Greenard
LB- Edmunds, Warner, E Kendricks, Wagner, De"Vondre Campbell, Asamoah, Sanders
CB- Moore, Howard, Reed
S- Dugger, Pitre, Thompson
IR Dobbins, Dulcich