Contender to Builder- IDP eval

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Contender to Builder- IDP eval

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:43 pm

My sig team was a game away from the championship last year, 1-3 this year. I currently have the lowest scoring IDP group. I've been streaming heavily, but not certain if my struggles with that this year is the norm.

Hoping to get some good feedback on handling IDP for this team, not just for this year but the future.

Scoring- 1.5 per tackle, .5 per assist, 6 per INT, 1 per pass defensed, 3 per half sack

Start 1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex
DT Kenny Clark
DE Yannick Ngakoue, John Simon
LB Lavonte David, Deone Buchanan, Anthony Hitchens, Jayon Brown
CB Desmond Trufant
S Clayton Geathers

I appreciate any and all comments, feedback and analysis!

Edit- forgot to add there's a flex
Last edited by Pullo Vision on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

TB3falcons
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Contender to Builder- IDP eval

Postby TB3falcons » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Get a 4-3 DT, preferably one that plays the 3T. 3-4 NT are basically worthless for IDP

DE- Ngakoe is in a rough patch, Simon is droppable.

LB- looks good, Bucannon is starting to play more. David is great. Hitchens is good. Brown is ok

CB- get a new one, preferably a rookie or a less than stellar one playing opposite a good corner

S- gotta be better options on the wire.
16 Team PPR(.5 for RBs)/RetY/Balanced IDP League (QB,RB,2WR,TE,4FLX,PK,PN,DT,2DE,3LB,2CB,2S,1DFLX) 2018 & 2019 LC
QB- Mahomes, Ryan
RB- Gordon, Ingram, Swift, Gore, Hyde, Ogunbowale
WR- Hopkins, KAllen, Lockett, Golladay, Fitz, Edelman, MJones, Crowder, Cobb, Claypool, AGG, Miller (CHI), Humphries, Conley, David Moore, Demarcus Robinson, Gordon :boohoo:
TE- Olsen, Ian Thomas, Njoku
PK- Butker
PN- Cooke
DT- CJones, Ogunjobi, Kinlaw
DE- Hunter, DLaw, Young, Anderson, Turay
LB- Littleton, Mosley, D. Davis, Schobert, Bush, AJ Johnson, Walker, Evans, Burgess
CB- C Davis, Ward, Murphy-Bunting
S- JJ3, Walker, Williams, Rapp, Parks

Taxi: Oliver, Laird, Collier, Cominsky, Phillips, JAXWilliams, Harris, Willis

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback, TB3! Simon, Jayon Brown, Trufant and Geathers have all been picked up in the last week or so. They'll probably go back after this week. Had picked up Patrick Peterson to face that SF QB, but when Trufant got cut, I scooped him up to get in the Pit-ATL shoot-fest.

To give an idea of what waivers are like-
Kenny Clark is the #9 DT by point average; the top 11 are all owned and 14 of the top 32 are FAs
DE- I'm getting pasted, cause John Simon is my only top 32 DE by average; the only FA DEs in the top 32 available are KC's Allen Bailey, William Hayes (IR) and Arik Armstead
LB- Only 1 LB in the top 32 is unowned, but it's Mychal Kendricks. Josh Bynes, Kazir White and Terrell Suggs are the highest-averaging FAs.
CB- 23 of the top 32 by average are FAs; top scoring FA CBs are (ignoring IR corners)- Quinton Dunbar, Tre Flowers and Ryan Lewis of Buffalo
S- 9 of top 32 averagers are FA; the top ones- Antoine Bethea, Ron Parker and Antone Exum

So, seems CBs are not valued in this league, while LBs and DEs have high values. Is that normal? Last year, a team bought Kwon Alexander for Demario Davis and a 2019 1st and 2nd. There was actually push to veto it. At the time, I said I'll trade my elite LBs if I get that kind of offer and owners have been sniffing around at them the last few weeks.

I'm still trying to get my hands around IDP. Been relying on IDP articles to exploit weekly matchups.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 am

Your DEs appear to be holding you back as neither should be starters with those league settings.

Your LBs are solid with David and Hitchens.

Kenny Clark is having a great statistical season so, I wouldn't dump him but I would like to know who is on the wire at DT incase you can deal Clark for DE and pick up another DT.

Typically at CB you want a teams #2 CB...Trufant is fine but I would assume there are several better options in a league where you only start 14 CBs per week.

Geathers has been great this year...hes now hurt tho so I would try to snag Beathea and play the matchups between them each week.

The Red Rooster
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby The Red Rooster » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:23 am

...also, Bynes > both Bucannon and J Brown

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 am

Rooster, thanks for the response!

I should point out there's a flex I didn't include.

Top FA DTs- Tyeler Davison (NO), DJ Reader, Da'Shawn Hand, Javon Hargrave, Sheldon Richardson, Da'Ron Payne. Respectively, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19 in average DT scoring.

The top FA CBs- Quinton Dunbar is 6th in average, but not confident about the matchup; Tre Flowers is 7th, Ryan Lewis 9th, Lenzy Pipkins of Indy vaulted to 10th after one game. Other notable FAs- Prince Amukamara, Rashaan Melvin of Oakland, Patrick Peterson, Mike Hughes, Kendall Fuller, Buster Skrine, Logan Ryan.

What about the league's settings makes this a bad DE group? I've been treating each suck as a TD and each tackle as a catch. The 1.5/6 tackle/sack ratio is like a PPR WR vs a TE. Not many great TEs or DEs, so your must shooting for upside. Ngakoue showed it last year with 12 sacks, and Simon will be cut this week.

Does that process sound right? Am I terribly off here?

Dunville
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dunville » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:12 am

I'd pick up hand he showed his upside yesterday yesterday.

One the key things in IDP is to get guys that are playing as many snaps as possible, especially when it comes to DE. Obviously talent is first and foremost but a higher snap count gives DE's and other linemen a safer floor as there's more opportunity for tackles too.

You hit the nail on the head with the TE comparison and upside in your scoring.

Another thing to maybe look at is teams and their potential game scripts if you have a pass rusher for a team that often plays with a lead he will inherently have more opportunity to rush the passer because the opposition is throwing more and vice versa.

Also you don't necessarily need guys who are super studly at DE look to guys who are playing opposite studs, more often 2 elite pass rushers can co-exist and put up numbers and often more productive.
I look to Ingram/Bosa, Griffen/Hunter etc...

One word of caution I would say is don't be too hasty to over invest in IDP, schemes and positions are much more volatile and players often fade to insignificance very quickly. LB is maybe an exception but again don't overpay.

The best advice to build through the wire and drafts, the more research and time you put in the better prepared you are.

I don't know if you need it but general rules I look for;

1) Snaps - As close to 100% as possible
2) Defensive snaps - Teams with poor offenses have the Def on the field more often
3) DT - 4-3 playing with upgraded DE's e.g. Ogunjobi playing with Garrett and Ogbah.
4) DE - 4 -3 doesn't matter if they're playing opposite a stud
5) LB - MLB/WLB/ILB tend to be higher volume tacklers OLB tend to have lower tackle numbers but higher sack tendency
6) S - SS plays in the box more higher opportunity for tackles, even better if playing with bad LBs. FS tends to play in coverage so has opportunity for INTs but much lower floor
7) CB - Rookies or players playing opposite a stud/lockdown corners.
12 Team 1 pt PPR
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 3Flex 1K
QB Tua Stroud
RB Bijan, Gibbs, kamara Jamaal, CEH, Allgeier, Brown
WR Hill, JJ, Higgins, Keenan, Reed, Thielen, Boyd, Iosivas, Tucker
TE Hockenson Friermuth, Likely
K Elliot
1DT 2DE 3LB 1CB 2S 1Flex
DT Donald Zach Allen
DE Crosby, Hutchinson Van Ness, Turner, Wonnum,
LB Greenlaw, Kendricks, Bernard, Mosley, McFadden, Barton, Overshown, Cashman, Henley
CB Stream
S Bynum, Blankenship fuller, grant,
2024 -2.05, 3.05, 3.12, 6th
2025 2 x 1st, 2, 3,4,5,6

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 am

Thanks, Dunville! Lots of things to reply to.
Dunville wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:12 amOne the key things in IDP is to get guys that are playing as many snaps as possible, especially when it comes to DE. Obviously talent is first and foremost but a higher snap count gives DE's and other linemen a safer floor as there's more opportunity for tackles too.

You hit the nail on the head with the TE comparison and upside in your scoring.

Another thing to maybe look at is teams and their potential game scripts if you have a pass rusher for a team that often plays with a lead he will inherently have more opportunity to rush the passer because the opposition is throwing more and vice versa.

Also you don't necessarily need guys who are super studly at DE look to guys who are playing opposite studs, more often 2 elite pass rushers can co-exist and put up numbers and often more productive.
I look to Ingram/Bosa, Griffen/Hunter etc...
Regarding game scripts- I've been following that general pattern. DEs and corners on teams projected to build strong leads, LBs on teams that will be down big and get run on. I hadn't considered the snaps angle, but follows easily from that. Is there a good source for IDP snap tracking? I keep reading how Miami's offense has a very low snap count. Seems to follow the defensive snaps would be commensurately higher.

I added Steve Weatherly on the "guy opposite a stud" angle.
Dunville wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:12 amOne word of caution I would say is don't be too hasty to over invest in IDP, schemes and positions are much more volatile and players often fade to insignificance very quickly. LB is maybe an exception but again don't overpay.

The best advice to build through the wire and drafts, the more research and time you put in the better prepared you are.
I've been very careful to not draft IDP, maybe to a fault. Grabbed Jonathon Allen last year, my only IDP draftee in 5 years. In this league, the first IDP seems to go off the board in the late 2nd range, but I always seem to find an offensive player I like more. Higher ceiling, lower floor. My guys keep finding the floor, so I've been bailing on 2nds entirely.

One of the things I've been sorta struggling with is- How sustained are IDP values and productions? When I first joined the league, I did a bunch of reading and I seem to recall they fluctuate quite a bit, especially production wise. A top 3 one year can be unstartable the next. Is that right? Do the big name defensive players retain value even when not performing to their previous standards? How much does situation factor into value?
Dunville wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:12 amI don't know if you need it but general rules I look for;

1) Snaps - As close to 100% as possible
2) Defensive snaps - Teams with poor offenses have the Def on the field more often
3) DT - 4-3 playing with upgraded DE's e.g. Ogunjobi playing with Garrett and Ogbah.
4) DE - 4 -3 doesn't matter if they're playing opposite a stud
5) LB - MLB/WLB/ILB tend to be higher volume tacklers OLB tend to have lower tackle numbers but higher sack tendency
6) S - SS plays in the box more higher opportunity for tackles, even better if playing with bad LBs. FS tends to play in coverage so has opportunity for INTs but much lower floor
7) CB - Rookies or players playing opposite a stud/lockdown corners.
After your post here, I'm good with points 1, 2, 6 and 7.

Good source on defensive schemes? Everything I remember finding was updated infrequently, like Eric Reid getting shuffled around last year.