My top-12 rookie LBs for dynasty (no pass rushers, sorry) 2018 Rankings

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

My top-12 rookie LBs for dynasty (no pass rushers, sorry) 2018 Rankings

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:24 pm

1. Roquan Smith, Bears
Out of all the rookie LBs, Roquan is the only one who is more or less GUARANTEED to be a starting, 3-down LB, and will be doing so on a team who (though they're making great strides to improve) should still be trailing a fair amount this season, giving Smith plenty of tackle opportunities.

2. Darius Leonard, Colts
Yup, he's my #2 LB in this class for IDP. Not that I think he's the 2nd best in real life, but he will probably lead all rookie linebackers (perhaps all LBs in the NFL) in snaps this year. As we know for IDP, snaps played is one of the most important factors. And don't get me wrong, his talent is very real as well. If Indy's D-Line can keep him clean, Leonard might get 90+ solos this year.

3. Tremaine Edmunds, Bills
I've already made my opinion known about Edmunds on this forum, but in summary: this dude is a total size/athleticism freak and has the ceiling to be a top-5 LB for the next 10+ years. But, he's still a project. Don't expect him to be a starter for you this year. Favorable stat crew, no competition from teammates, I get all that. But he's not ready to be a full time guy, so hope for the best but prepare for him to start out part time.
---
TIER BREAK
---
4. Rashaan Evans, Titans
Evans is going to start from day 1, that's no issue. But he is not a great coverage backer, and when he does play on passing downs, he usually rushes the passer. So I see him as a guy who may not be the tackle producer we normally expect from a 1st round LB.

5. Fred Warner, 49ers
Worst case scenario, he should be a starting linebacker NEXT TO Reuben Foster. Best case scenario, he's the only 3-down guy in town, in which case Brock Coyle figures to be the 2nd starting LB in the Bay. Either way, expect Warner to have a full time role from the get-go.

6. Leighton Vander Esch, Cowboys
Similar to Edmunds, "LVE" carries massive upside as a monster of a man with athletic traits to match. He's similarly raw in many elements of the game as well. UNLIKE Tremaine Edmunds, however, Vander Esch may not see the field a ton as a rookie. Dallas typically only plays one LB on an every-down basis, and until further notice that's Sean Lee. They also like Jaylon Smith to play 20-40% of the snaps, so we may only see LVE get an Anthony Hitchens-type workload in year one, and that's only seeing the field on 50-60% of the plays. Even if he's capped in 2018 though, his future is quite bright.
---
TIER BREAK
---
7. Malik Jefferson, Bengals
He's the last guy on this list with a sky-high ceiling, but he also has a downside that could see him fall out of the league by the end of his rookie contract. Cincy won't have Burfict to start the year, so there's a chance Jefferson can supplant Vigil & Rey to start at WLB for a few games, although Marvin Lewis may very well continue to hate on rookies (which may be justifiable in this case, given Jefferson's question marks).

8. Jerome Baker, Dolphins
Similarly murky situation as I wrote about with Jefferson. There aren't theoretically any open jobs available on the Miami linebacker corps, with Alonso at WLB and McMillan at MLB. But the scuttlebutt around the league seems to be that the Dolphins are seeking to replace Alonso, and McMillan is still wholly unproven of course. I just sort of hate Baker as a prospect. He's fast and that's kind of it. He'll probably get at least 2-3 games this year where he receives serious playing time and a chance to prove his game translates to the big leagues.
---
TIER BREAK
These last 3 are all similar. Guys with definite flaws but stepping into possible roles on teams with holes. All are late enough picks to not be handed anything as far as playing time, but early enough to at least be guaranteed a roster spot.
---
9. Kenny Young, Ravens
He's probably not the next great Bruin linebacker, but he could be very serviceable playing next to Mosley, IF he wrests that job away from Onwuasor.

10. Oren Burks, Packers
Fantastic athlete, but still raw as an actual player. Converted to LB from safety, so he's probably expected to be a rich man's version of Joe Thomas who got some serious playing time in 2016 for Green Bay. He's definitely not replacing Martinez, but he will certainly eat into Jake Ryan's playing time, if not replace him outright.

11. Kyzir White, Chargers
He was drafted pretty darn high, and announced as a linebacker (played safety and nickel corner in college), so he definitely carries some IDP sex appeal. I just can't imagine that he'd be a better option on the field than Jatavis Brown. It would appear that LA at least wants to give him an opportunity to earn the WLB job next to Denzel Perryman.
---
TIER BREAK
---
12. Micah Kiser, Rams
Let me be clear, this is only a guy to put on your watch list. Do not draft him. There is a slight chance that he could earn a starting ILB gig next to Barron, but frankly I believe that's Littleton's job to lose.
Last edited by lukkynumber13 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

lawilt
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: My top-12 rookie LBs for dynasty (no pass rushers, sorry)

Postby lawilt » Mon May 07, 2018 5:54 pm

not a fan of Genard Avery?

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon May 07, 2018 6:51 pm

lawilt wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:54 pm not a fan of Genard Avery?
Not really. I was intrigued at best by him as a prospect, but I really don't like the landing spot. No way I see him starting over Kirksey, Collins, or Shoebert.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Mon May 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Nice job as always bud. Leonard #2. Balsy but not out of the possibility. Agree he will get a ton of snaps...at least the same as Bostic got.
I picked up Burks and Young deep in a few drafts 5th and 6th round respectively..... I like young to take that job and maybe...just maybe be pretty good. He has pass defense chops....but way too much finesse.
I disagree on Kiser.....as I think he is an all out motor guy. I think he wins that spot and out scores Barron....my balsy prediction. Dude can hit ya.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Good stuff, thanks.

What about Bentley? O'Daniel? Odaniel is quite similar to baker to me.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 1:01 pm Good stuff, thanks.

What about Bentley? O'Daniel? Odaniel is quite similar to baker to me.
I'm not particularly interested in Bentley in dynasty. Not unless it was a 16 team league with big rosters.

O'Daniel is quite interesting, and you'll notice in my pre and mid-season posts that I was very excited to see his progression. I just don't know where he'll play in KC. 40% chance he's a part time ILB, 10% chance he's an OLB/sub-package pass rusher, 40% chance he's a strong safety, 10% chance he's a slot corner.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

DivHunter
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DivHunter » Tue May 22, 2018 5:44 pm

Great post :thumbup: I have a few LB spots to fill on a dynasty orphan I've taken on and this has been really useful.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 am

Bumping this thread as requested.
HERBERT, Baker
KITTLE
/
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
KITTLE, Goedert
/
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
/
R WILSON, Minshew
KELCE, Schultz
/
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
LAPORTA

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:52 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:09 am Bumping this thread as requested.
Thanks, I couldn't find it before!

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Jacksonville's seventh rounder is making some noise as a starter but he'll come out in sub packages. Just a name to monitor.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 pm Jacksonville's seventh rounder is making some noise as a starter but he'll come out in sub packages. Just a name to monitor.
Yeah, being up here in Wisconsin I am familiar with Leon Jacobs. Dude has huge/high athletic profile similar to some of the great LBs out there. Problem is he was always hurt at Wisconsin and used as a RLB not a traditional LB. His profile to me says MLB/WLB but he wont beat out Telvin or Jack....but if 1 of them moves on his value will skyrocket..... as he easily beat out Blair Brown for SLB in OTA's....so worth a stash on athletic traits alone.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

jdomer2403
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jdomer2403 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:43 am

Love the Leonard call. Really think he might emerge as best in class for IDP purposes.

Kkiddynamite
Captain
Captain

Postby Kkiddynamite » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 pm

Im eyeing Jefferson/Young in a current draft. Also have Littleton and Avery on my list. I wasnt a fan of Averys landing spot either but the dude has looked good so far. How would you rank the 4 of them? Ive had Littleton as a sleeper all season but starter doesnt always translate to production.

dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

Postby dawgs4life » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 pm

Kkiddynamite wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 pm Im eyeing Jefferson/Young in a current draft. Also have Littleton and Avery on my list. I wasnt a fan of Averys landing spot either but the dude has looked good so far. How would you rank the 4 of them? Ive had Littleton as a sleeper all season but starter doesnt always translate to production.
I'd watch out for Avery....great athletic profile. But Cleveland is going to play him as a rush LB in their 3-4 looks. The want him to be more rusher that traditional LB. Just what I have been reading out of camp notes. Maybe he takes Collins place someday, but is he Collins or just a situational guy.

I'd take a look at Jermaine Carter in CAR as there was just a news blurb on him the other day that the panthers might let contract year LBs Davis and Thompson walk if Carter keeps developing quickly. might see LB2-3 snaps next year next to a stud next year. Deep stash

Im still VERY high on Oren Burks....he has looked like a Telvin type stud in the making in preseason. He flys all over the field making TFLs and can cover too.
I only play in 16x53 with 10+ taxi size leagues with full IDP. All are PPR and most value return yardage. So my opinions may be skewed To these deep roster leagues.

Dynasty Fantasy is not a game, it’s a full time hobby.

Kkiddynamite
Captain
Captain

Postby Kkiddynamite » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Yeah I like Burks as well... but hes off the board. I took Trequan at 4.09 and Burks went 4.11.... Really wanted burks but couldnt pass up Trequan at that spot. My LBs arent very deep but Ive got two studs so can wait on guys to develop.

Kwon
Keuchly
TJ Watt
Devondre Campbell
Jordan Hicks

You prefer Avery/Carter over Young/Jefferson? Im gonna add two LBs in the draft... gonna grab one in a few more picks