Ragland traded to KCC

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Ragland traded to KCC

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:33 am

A future 4th rounder is quite considerable but if I own Ragland I'm trying to sell based on this news. When someone tumbles that far down the depth chart there's typically something more than just scheme fit going on.

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Ragland traded to KCC

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:51 am

I agree on both points. Still tho, this doesn't bode especially well for Ramik Wilson
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

Burning Fight
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Burning Fight » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:06 pm

is the Ukeme Eligwe dream over before it began for me in 2017?

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:42 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:51 am I agree on both points. Still tho, this doesn't bode especially well for Ramik Wilson
I agree with that. It wouldn't bug me if it was a conditional 6th rounder but the 4th rounder says that they're looking to upgrade. It just feels to me that they'll end up having to address this spot in next year's draft.
Last edited by Oslo Oildrillers on Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:56 pm

Burning Fight wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:06 pm is the Ukeme Eligwe dream over before it began for me in 2017?
He might get his chance if DJ suffers an injury. Eligwe is more of a successor to DJ than a threat to Ramik. He's very fast and although he's not necessarily super fluid he fared well in coverage against guys like Engram in college. I see him as more of a will, at least in a 3-4. Ramik and Ragland are more hard nosed downhill 3-4 mike linebackers.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I'm on an island here having Eligwe somewhere behind Ramik, as they profile to the same role. Ragland is the second biggest guy in this group next to Derrick Johnson. MIKE 'backers are typically bigger, older, or recovering from injury. A few outliers to this are Bobby Wagner, Deion Jones.

If I'm projecting based on what is typical, DJ and Rags each check multiple boxes for the BIG role inside.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:11 pm

dlf_bruiser wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:59 pm I'm on an island here having Eligwe somewhere behind Ramik, as they profile to the same role. Ragland is the second biggest guy in this group next to Derrick Johnson. MIKE 'backers are typically bigger, older, or recovering from injury. A few outliers to this are Bobby Wagner, Deion Jones.

If I'm projecting based on what is typical, DJ and Rags each check multiple boxes for the BIG role inside.
DJ plays on the weakside in base and he always has, even going back to his time at Texas. Coming out of college the main criticism of him was that he couldn't shed blocks and that he only fit as a 4-3 will, and when the Chiefs changed to their 3-4 there were a lot of people that felt that even the weakside position in a 3-4 would be a poor fit for DJ as he would get stuck in traffic. Boy were they proven wrong...

In sub-packages it depends on the package, if he's out there with Daniel Sorensen he will slide over to the strong side, but when playing with a true LB he'll typically play will. Wilson played base mike last year (plus every down mike after DJ got injured), and before him Mauga played mike next to DJ. They use the mike to plug while the will is more free to roam.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:11 pm

I am sure you are more accurate than me about their 2016 usage. I am more projecting their 2017 utility, as linebacker roles shift so fluidly (see Lavonte David, Sean Lee, etc). There seems to be an underlying trend especially true with older and/or injury recovered linebackers. Not always, but often teams will 'hide' them and their limitations.

Perhaps Lawrence Timmons is experiencing this in Miami, as much as I hate to admit this. I am a huge fan of a linebacker with his longevity having only missed two career games. That puts him in Jason Witten territory for me.

Oslo Oildrillers
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Oslo Oildrillers » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:03 am

Looking at things generally that is a fair assumption, but I just don't see any signs of that happening with DJ. He still looks great in coverage (PFF graded him top 5 in coverage) while he is at best average against the run, and during the preseason he has been playing his usual WILL role.

I could potentially see Ramik move to WILL at some point, but I still think his biggest weakness is his cover ability so he would have to improve there in order to be an effective WILL. Ramik has done a fine job at MIKE and I think he'll only get better this year with more experience. Coming out of college a lot of people had him pegged as a 4-3 SAM or 4-3/3-4 WILL, but he is in some ways a MIKE linebacker trapped in a WILL linebacker body. It will be interesting to see how his career develops, or not. Perhaps he could end up playing base WILL and nickel MIKE, with Ragland coming on for base MIKE, after DJ retires.

ChicagoArch
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ChicagoArch » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:37 am

They've been using Kevin Pierre-Louis as their DJ backup in the preseason. They traded a Pro Bowl special teamer for KPL, so they obviously like the guy. I think Ramik, Eligwe and Ragland are all battling for MIKE and they give KPL a chance at WILL when DJ retires/gets injured. The questions will how long does Ragland take to surpass Ramik and if they continue using Sorensen as a sub-package LB.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 am

Thanks for the insight fellas. I have always wanted to see Pierre-Louis get a chance, so I'll be watching this unit closer over the coming season. That's a great mention that got skipped-over initially. Perhaps Ramik is less than I had hoped, as well.

Unicorn92
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Unicorn92 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:07 pm

For 2017 this trade should not help Ragland. Ramik and DJ should be the starters. That said Ramik is a RFA at the end of the year and ih the Chiefs do not keep Ramik Ragland should have a big opportunity to be starter
I play in an idp dynasty keeper league 10 teams with 1 qb start in a ppr league 2 en 2 wr 1te 1 flex. This is a roster of 35 players and a ts of 5 players in mfl and this is a ppr league

Roster

QB: D. Jones, B. Mayfield
RB: S.Barkley, M.Breida, T. Cohen D.Johnson, J. Williams, B. Scarborough
WR: B.Cooks, C.Goodwin, K. Allen, T.Lockett, C. Kirk, M. Williams, D. Westbrook, A. Miller
TE: C. Herndon, R. Griffin, I. Thomas
K C.Boswell
DL M. Davenport, F. Clark, S. Hubbard,
LB M. D. Jones, L. Vander Esch, R. Evans, M. Milano, H. Landry, J. Baker
DB: B.Baker, J. Bates, J. Peppers

Practice squad: P. Williams, T. Rapp, C. Ferrell, E. Oliver, B. Cashman