Lofton/Ryans for Beason? Too much?

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
bdynomite
Role Player
Role Player

Lofton/Ryans for Beason? Too much?

Postby bdynomite » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Hey guys, I can start 4 at LB and currently have Willis, Lofton, Laurinaitis, and Ryans as my starters. First I was wondering what you guys think of Lofton/Ryans this year, and second if it could be worth it to trade 2 of my LBs to grab Beason and draft a new 4th in the draft. Thanks!

haydn239
Captain
Captain

Re: Lofton/Ryans for Beason? Too much?

Postby haydn239 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:59 pm

You've got great young studs...all of which are easy 1st rounders in any start-up draft. I would stay where you are and enjoy the ride! Nice team overall only suggestion maybe to upgrade your 2nd QB but if it was me i would sit tight unless something lucrative comes your way.
Twitter @haydn239

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:17 am

bdynomite wrote:Hey guys, I can start 4 at LB and currently have Willis, Lofton, Laurinaitis, and Ryans as my starters. First I was wondering what you guys think of Lofton/Ryans this year, and second if it could be worth it to trade 2 of my LBs to grab Beason and draft a new 4th in the draft. Thanks!
That's a formidable foursome in any league especially one where you can start all 4. On paper, based on the combined production of Lofton and Ryans, you lose ppg with this deal. So what other LBs could you add either FA, rookie (draft position?) or from the other owners roster (in addition to Beason)? 8 team league most likely means plenty of productive free agent LBs to pick up the loss of ppg.

At times Lofton reminds me of Kirk Morrison, he has big games then disappears at random but ends up with good stats at seasons end - lacks consistent production. Ryans shine has faded since his crazy good rookie year. He's still a top 20 LB overall, but he was outplayed last year by Cushing and his numbers have dipped with each passing year. The downside for both is they play on good football teams - more competition for tackles and less opportunity late in games with the lead. Although both players are young and capable of 100+ solo tackles in their current situation.

On the other hand Beason is an elite LB, the consensus #2 LB on everyones IDP rankings. Think of the possibilities for a second...Willis, Beason and Laurinaitis in your starting lineup. That looks intimidating in any IDP league. I don't like the possible switch to WLB, nor the Panthers D-line to offer much protection at the point of attack this season, but that's a short term concern. With his talent he remains a tier above any LB not named Willis.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:07 am

I'd rather keep Lofton and send Ryans and the draft pick you would use for the new LB in exchange for Beason.

or maybe something else you could spare from your roster that the other owner needs.

If you can go Willis, Laurenitis, Lofton, Beason, that would be clutch. I agree that Ryans is someone to move.

-oo-

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:19 am

bdynomite wrote:Hey guys, I can start 4 at LB and currently have Willis, Lofton, Laurinaitis, and Ryans as my starters. First I was wondering what you guys think of Lofton/Ryans this year, and second if it could be worth it to trade 2 of my LBs to grab Beason and draft a new 4th in the draft. Thanks!
Don't do that trade. Thomas Davis tore his ACL, and the Panthers D-line is going to be terrible. Beason is going to struggle this year IMO.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Keep Ryans and Lofton. Both are top 5/6 LB and it isn´t worth giving them up for the no 2 LB.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

bdynomite
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bdynomite » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I could nab McClain in the draft and maybe Levy also, I recently traded a couple players for draft picks so I be able to get my non-IDP shopping done earlier than most teams. I wasn't quite sure what to make of Lofton/Ryans/or Beason's situations, the Falcons drafting Weatherspoon, the Texans losing Cushing for a few games, and the Panthers losing Davis. Lofton scares me cause all he gets are tackles and so the days he's low on those it's nil and Ryans has steadily been getting worse fantasy wise each season.

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:05 am

hot nikkels wrote:
Don't do that trade. Thomas Davis tore his ACL, and the Panthers D-line is going to be terrible. Beason is going to struggle this year IMO.
I wouldn't do the trade but not for this reason.
You're giving up way too many ppg.

As for Beason struggling, if anything he moves to WLB and would flourish, imo. He's a betther player than Davis and would dominate in that position. Otherwise he stays where he is at the Mike and won't see any drop off. They'll fill Davis void with Dan Connor and shift Beason to the Will where Davis put up great numbers or more than likely Jamar Williams and keep Beason at MLB.

Besides a terrible D-Line means more tackle opportunities.. :thumbup:

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:19 pm

I'd stay with Lofton/Ryans. You not only retain two great, young LBs but also keep yourself protected against injury. Imagine if you traded those two players away and Beason was injured? And, he was injured to start last season. No reason to trade two young studs for one slightly better one.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:00 pm

lemmi wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:

As for Beason struggling, if anything he moves to WLB and would flourish, imo. He's a betther player than Davis and would dominate in that position. Otherwise he stays where he is at the Mike and won't see any drop off. They'll fill Davis void with Dan Connor and shift Beason to the Will where Davis put up great numbers or more than likely Jamar Williams and keep Beason at MLB.

Typically a WLB should get the tackles, but a bad D-line will make it much easier for o linemen to get to the 2nd level of the D and make things more difficult correct?

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:09 am

hot nikkels wrote:
lemmi wrote:
hot nikkels wrote: Don't do that trade. Thomas Davis tore his ACL, and the Panthers D-line is going to be terrible. Beason is going to struggle this year IMO.

Typically a WLB should get the tackles, but a bad D-line will make it much easier for o linemen to get to the 2nd level of the D and make things more difficult correct?
I see what you're saying nikkels but I can't imagine that each Car DL gets beat by their counterpart enough to have an adverse affect on the LB corp. Even if they just eat up the blocker, that's fine. A DL that doesn't make many plays in the run game and gets beat on occasion I call bad. A DL that gets beat more often than not and allows an OL to get to the next level I call an insurance salesman. If he can't even hold a block to allow LB's to make plays, he's not worth a roster spot, let alone starting in an NFL game.
Car runs a 4-3. The SLB is gonna meet the lead blocker (TE/FB) at the point of attack.
If a DL gets beat on a particular play, the Mike would be next in line, leaving the WLB to clean up the mess.
This is pretty much what we saw from Car last year.
In my IDP league last year, heading to week 9 (game Davis got hurt) Davis was outscoring Beason 100 - 87.
Not a vast difference, but I think it shows that if Beason moved to WLB, even without Davis, he'd still put up huge numbers.
You've still got the MLB and SLB to eat up any blockers that might make it to the next level.

The problem I see in Carolina if they move Beason to WLB is finding a suitable replacement for him. I think if they move Beason, they'll put Connor in the middle. If they leave Beason at MLB - Jamar Williams would most likely play the Will and should be rostered immediately imo. I don't think Carolina believes Connor's skill set translates to OLB. Either scenario, I bet Beason's value doesn't change much either way, and you've got a nice fill in LB for '10 at least in Connor or Williams.