Who has more upside at CB?

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
pntgvn2399
Captain
Captain

Who has more upside at CB?

Postby pntgvn2399 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 pm

This is one of the most unpredictable positions in my opinion. However I am in 2 league where we have to start 2 CBs. So my question is this who has more upside out of these three combinations not only for this year but for the future.. Then how would you rank all 6 of them overall?

Charles Tillman (CHI) vs Zachary Bowman (CHI)

Kareem Jackson (HOU) vs Kyle Wilson (NYJ)

Jacbob Lacey (IND) vs Jeraud Powers (IND)
12 Team PPR IDP
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex 3-4-4 D
QB- P. Manning, Wilson, Carr
RB- McCoy, Foster, Ball, Vereen, Tate, Ivory, C. Michael, L Murray
WR- Megatron, Dez, Watkins, Gordon, Cooks, Quick, Nicks, Bowe, Shorts, M Wilson
TE- Cameron, Donnel, Green
DT- Jernigan
DE- Campbell, Vernon, Nincovich, Casey, Griffen
LB- David, Shazier, Smith, Tulloch, McClain, Riley, Collins, Alonzo (IR)
CB- Cason, Sherman, McCourty
S- Pollard, Landry, Chancellor, Mathieu, McDonald

12 Team PPR IDP
Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex 3-4-4 D
QB- Kaepernick, Bortles
RB- Lynch, Bernard Vereen, J. Bell, Ivory, Michael, Robinson, L Murray
WR- Julio, Mi. Floyd, Crabtree, Woods, Lee, Nicks
TE- Graham, Green, Wright
DT- Joseph, Donald
DE- Quinn, C Jones, C Johnson, M Johnson, Clemons, Lawrence
LB-Worrilow, Dansby, Levy, Marshall , McClain, Bartu, Mauga, Alonzo (IR), Johnson (IR)
CB- Jospeh, Verner
S- Bethea, Jones, Blanton

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Re: Who has more upside at CB?

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:20 pm

You should probably post this in the IDP thread section, but since I'm in it I'd go Kyle Wilson, Charles Tillman, and then whoever else. My league rewards return yards however and Kyle Wilson looks like he'll be the punt return man and starting nikkel back. With a chance to beat out Cromartie. Yes, I just said he can beat out Cromartie.

rkrazy
Starter
Starter

Postby rkrazy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:48 pm

CB isnt a position where I personally value youth because of the unpredictability of most players and because the WW is full of good value. Even in your start 2 CB league you should be able to find good value early in the season on the wire. On talent alone I take Tillman over Bowman, Wilson over Jackson and Powers over Lacey, but that doesn't dictate who I want on my fantasy team. Bowman is rumored to be moving into the more productive LCB position for CHI, but Tillman is still the better athlete and tackler. Jackson should be day 1 starter, which probably means he'll see more opportunity because QBs tend to pick on rookie CBs. Wilson will start out as the nickel back and probably return punts/maybe kicks too (in case you get points for that). Wilson could be starting by end of season in a real nice spot opposite the leagues premiere shutdown corner. Lacey is nickel corner and depth for Indy.

Out of this group I like Powers to produce now and over the next 2-3 seasons in Indy's CB friendly defense. Wilson and Jackson have some upside (most 1st round picks do :) ) but I would say take one of them only if you have the roster room or taxi squad to stash rookies. I don't expect either will post stats worthy of fantasy starters this year. Bowman is a sleeper. LCB has been really productive position for the Bears defense. He might be missed in a lot of drafts but I expect Bowman will find his way onto rosters as the season progresses. Tillman is still being drafted too high IMO. I would pass on him, let someone else deal with his baggage. I would target Powers then Wilson out of this particular group.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:29 pm

a) Tillman would be an easy choice for me between those two.
b) K.Jackson would be my choice. He's going to be playing day one. Defenses will be testing him which will give him a lot of opportunities for tackels and passes defended. Jackson isn't getting anywhere near enough attention in the FF world. Wilson is getting a lot of hype right now, but he's probably going to be the nickle back, which means he won't be on the field when the other team is in none passing downs or non=passing personel. If you get return yardage, then they might be closer.
c)guess Powers

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:25 am

Tillman in the first group without a doubt.
I like Wilson from the 2nd group (this may be my Jets homerism coming out).
Reason being, rookies get picked on so he'll have the opportunity to make tackles.
No one is throwing at Revis and Cromartie is no slouch either.
As for him only being out in the nickel, I believe I heard somewhere that 60-70% of offensive snaps in '09 were with 3+ WR's on the field.
He'll have plenty of opportunity to be on the field from the nickel back position. I took a flyer on him in my most recent startup as my DB4 (start 2-4) after Landry, Antrel Rolle and Winfield

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:49 am

Teams are in nickle defense over 50% of the time and some maybe up to 60-70% these days. Rookies do get targeted by other defenses.
K.Jackson is a rookie, will be a starting CB which means he on the field close to 100% of the time, and he's probably (or sadly) the best CB on his team which means he might be covering the other teams top WR.
Top WR + rookie CB = lots of production for the WR and the CB.
I'd take K.Jackson over Wilson without a doubt, but to each his own.

lemmi
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby lemmi » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:39 am

MR ROURKE wrote:Teams are in nickle defense over 50% of the time and some maybe up to 60-70% these days. Rookies do get targeted by other defenses.
K.Jackson is a rookie, will be a starting CB which means he on the field close to 100% of the time, and he's probably (or sadly) the best CB on his team which means he might be covering the other teams top WR.
Top WR + rookie CB = lots of production for the WR and the CB.
I'd take K.Jackson over Wilson without a doubt, but to each his own.
true. No reason to not take a flyer on either.
I just wouldn't expect too much from them.
and as previously stipulated, I'm being a jets homer on this one :wink:

bdynomite
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bdynomite » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:59 pm

I like Bowman, Jackson, and Powers.