Rolando McClain

General discussion and team advice concerning IDP Leagues.
grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Rolando McClain

Postby grimace » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:41 am

Thoughts on this guy in the NFL, is he the beast we all think he's going to be? The next Patrick Willis, an LB who is as valuable as Top Flight RBs in IDP settings?

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 am

I love this guy and am hoping he falls just a bit and the Giants can trade up a few spots from 15 to get him. He is a leader on the field and will be really valuable to his team as well as FF owners. I think he will be in the elite LB arena with Willis, Beason, and my personal favorite...David Harris :wink: as well as a few others.

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:55 am

I keep reading more and more, he has the size and athletic ability, but really get's me is this guy is smart. He's an academic All American, and Alabama coaches have said he's like a coach on the field.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 am

grimace wrote:I keep reading more and more, he has the size and athletic ability, but really get's me is this guy is smart. He's an academic All American, and Alabama coaches have said he's like a coach on the field.
Which is exactly what the Giants need :wink:

Antonio Pierce is a leader on the field but he hasn't had the ability to be a good MLB for probably the last 3 years. I like McClain a lot but I have a feeling someone will snag him between 7-12.

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:31 am

Very special player and one writer did compare him to Willis. Wish he'd come back for another year for the Tide. Most mocks I've seen has him going as the 9th thru 11th pick...mostly to either Denver or Miami, althoooooough...I did see one going to the 49ers :D at 17 but he'll be long gone before then.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 am

He´s not as fast as Patrick Willis.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 am

BradyT wrote:He´s not as fast as Patrick Willis.
But Willis is not as smart as McClain...

The smarts factor alone has given me a man crush on this guy. We'll see come next fall. The one thing I worry is if the Raiders take him, could they kill his ability even though he plays defense?
Last edited by grimace on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27 pm

I agree Geoff. Top end speed isn't essential for a stud linebacker. McClain is plenty fast enough though...Along with great instincts and the intelligence, I see great things for him and have my fingers crossed that he falls. I doubt it though....

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:08 pm

ILBs need to only cover the gaps from DE to DE where quickness, anticipation AND smarts are bigger factors than true speed. The Willis comparision is a little premature but gives an idea to his potential.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:30 pm

highballers wrote:ILBs need to only cover the gaps from DE to DE where quickness, anticipation AND smarts are bigger factors than true speed. The Willis comparision is a little premature but gives an idea to his potential.
id rate him more as a ray lewis than a willis. willis has elite physical tools... ray, not so much... ray has always been better because of his inner drive.

iv watched him play and dont see what all the rave is about... his speed underwhelms me alot.
Last edited by thewhyterabbit on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:32 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
highballers wrote:ILBs need to only cover the gaps from DE to DE where quickness, anticipation AND smarts are bigger factors than true speed. The Willis comparision is a little premature but gives an idea to his potential.
id rate him more as a ray lewis than a willis. willis has elite physical tools... ray, not so much... ray has always been better because of his inner drive.
I like the Ray Lewis comparison Spencer. I think that is closer to what McClain is. All I know is he is a beast!! :D

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:

iv watched him play and dont see what all the rave is about... his speed underwhelms me alot.
I can see that.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:27 pm

highballers wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:

I can see that.
i think he would fit better in a 3-4... his coverage and drop is decent... and his big enough to engage and get off.. but i dont think he has the speed to be a true stud like beason, willis.... the next stud linebacker will be rennie curran.

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:54 pm

There are a lot of people in Buffalo that are hoping McClain is our first pick. If it happens, that might indicate that a switch to a 3-4 isn't that far away. I wouldn't hate the pick, but the OLine is still a huge need. If McClain doesn't go in the top 10, I can see Miami going after this guy... and that would be depressing. Caught between a rock and a hard place.
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 am

hosler427 wrote:I agree Geoff. Top end speed isn't essential for a stud linebacker. McClain is plenty fast enough though...Along with great instincts and the intelligence, I see great things for him and have my fingers crossed that he falls. I doubt it though....
That says it all. If he's got that, then you've got yourself a stud. I think McClain is bigger then Willis and Lewis. At least coming out of college anyways.

Bigger, faster, stronger with instincts, intelligence and technique. Vernon Gholston is a speciman, but is garbage.