Post Combine: Clear top tier of 6 players - rank them !

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
ChocolateCityCurse
Rookie
Rookie

Post Combine: Clear top tier of 6 players - rank them !

Postby ChocolateCityCurse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:35 am

Following the Combine it seems to me that a top 6 pick is pretty much like gold in this draft, as you will arguably get a guy who could go 1.1 even at the 6th spot! A solid case could be made that all of the following players are deserving of the 1.1 :
White / Cooper / DGB / Parker (the forgotten man?) / Gordon / Gurley

The next group is solid, but haven't heard anyone make a case for any of the following players for the top spot:
Srong / Ajayi / Yeldon / Mike Davis / Duke Johnson

I understand that landing spots are not yet determined and that the real NFL Draft will help in sorting this "top tier" but feet to the fire, at this stage, Here's my ranking / who I would pick at each pick in a standard PPR League rookie draft:

1.1 Todd Gurley - > Forget Combine hype for a sec and remember that this is a once in a generation AP type talent
1.2 Kevin White - > Now back to the Combine Hype: Freak Freak Freak...super high floor and super high Ceiling. SOLD
1.3 Amari Cooper - > Legit & Smooth, proved it! High Floor, high ceiling
1.4 Devante Parker - > Showing love for the forgotten man. Proved it on the field and at the combine. The AJ comp is real.
1.5 Melvin Gordon - > OK lower than most partly because or WR/RB valuation. He's legit...but that Wisconsin RB history is freakin scary to me
1.6 DGB - > Huge upside, don't get me wrong...but that Josh Gordon shadow is looming, and this is the post Ray Rice NFL Era

What about you, for now, how do you rank the top 6 and why?
Many thanks for your feedback!
The act of players getting yards and touchdowns to help your Fantasy team’s score accumulate is all luck.
The acts of acquiring players and choosing which ones to start is all skill.
- David Richard

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Post Combine: Clear top tier of 6 players - rank them !

Postby Doggie » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:11 am

Very similar to yours..

TOP 6 - Post-combine but before Pro-Days

1. Todd Gurley - there is no one I enjoy watching play more than Todd Gurley. I just hope he goes to to a favorable situation (SD-DET-AZ-IND-DAL-SEA)

2. Amari Cooper - close 2nd with KWhite, but I still give the edge to Cooper due to his years of consistency at the SEC level. He ran a 4.42 and ran silky-smooth drills. Amari seems too much a sure-thing to pass on, even for the possibility if a little more upside.

3. Kevin White - I agree he has the most upside of the Top 3 "safe" WR's and he was clearly dominant this weekend. It's a game of inches at this level and KWhite seems a little stronger and a little faster than the other top WR's.

4. DeVante Parker - I had him ranked WR1 coming into the combine, but close with Cooper. I still think Parker is the best red zone threat of the top 3 WR and view him as a safer pick than Melvin Gordon.

5. Melvin Gordon - unless he goes to an ideal situation, I cannot rank him higher than any of the top 3 WR this year. Gordon has amazing stats, but yes the WISC thing plus I typically rank WR higher at the top of the draft.

6. DGB --- tough to pass on him, but some of his negatives are that he runs upright, doesn't have the smoothest hands and tends to catch the ball in his body.. Add in all the off-the-field concerns and it puts him as my WR4 and #6 overall

It will be interesting to see how things develop over the next couple of months, then again after the draft.

ChocolateCityCurse
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ChocolateCityCurse » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:29 am

Awesome, thanks for the feedback Doggie - I can def understand the Cooper over White argument. Interested to get more thoughts and see how the community sees this at this stage...
The act of players getting yards and touchdowns to help your Fantasy team’s score accumulate is all luck.
The acts of acquiring players and choosing which ones to start is all skill.
- David Richard

heydangle
All Pro
All Pro

Postby heydangle » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:31 am

I think the only switch I'd make is I'd take White over Cooper at this point

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:32 am

freeportsands wrote:Following the Combine it seems to me that a top 6 pick is pretty much like gold in this draft, as you will arguably get a guy who could go 1.1 even at the 6th spot! A solid case could be made that all of the following players are deserving of the 1.1 :
White / Cooper / DGB / Parker (the forgotten man?) / Gordon / Gurley

The next group is solid, but haven't heard anyone make a case for any of the following players for the top spot:
Srong / Ajayi / Yeldon / Mike Davis / Duke Johnson

I understand that landing spots are not yet determined and that the real NFL Draft will help in sorting this "top tier" but feet to the fire, at this stage, Here's my ranking / who I would pick at each pick in a standard PPR League rookie draft:

1.1 Todd Gurley - > Forget Combine hype for a sec and remember that this is a once in a generation AP type talent
1.2 Kevin White - > Now back to the Combine Hype: Freak Freak Freak...super high floor and super high Ceiling. SOLD
1.3 Amari Cooper - > Legit & Smooth, proved it! High Floor, high ceiling
1.4 Devante Parker - > Showing love for the forgotten man. Proved it on the field and at the combine. The AJ comp is real.
1.5 Melvin Gordon - > OK lower than most partly because or WR/RB valuation. He's legit...but that Wisconsin RB history is freakin scary to me
1.6 DGB - > Huge upside, don't get me wrong...but that Josh Gordon shadow is looming, and this is the post Ray Rice NFL Era

What about you, for now, how do you rank the top 6 and why?
Many thanks for your feedback!
I'm in agreement with your top 6
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

splendorlex
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby splendorlex » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 am

1. Kevin White - I liked him and DGB as my top 2 WRs on tape. He's a playmaker. I love the way he comes back for the ball, and catches with his hands. His combine performance pushed him from #3 to #1 on my board.

2. Todd Gurley - Love the way he fights. He really does look like a total package. If it wasn't for what happened with Trent, I might buy him even more. But I heard "generational talent, can't miss" with Trent too.

3. DGB - I know it's a chance, but he has the highest upside of anyone in this class IMO. People compare him to Megatron, and I can actually see it on tape. If his red flags fade away, he could be huge.

4. Amari Cooper - I'm lower on him than many, I know. I feel like I can't have him any lower than this, though. Solid all around, just doesn't have the potential to be dominant IMO, which is what I like to see in a high pick.

5. Melvin Gordon - I want to deny it, I just can't. I'm as worried as anyone about the "Wisconsin Effect." I just feel like he won't get a line in the NFL that is as dominant as the Wisconsin line.

6. Davante Parker - Looks great on tape, but he seems to run few routes. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong tape, though. Still has a lot of potential.
My DLF Articles
Twitter: @RyanCFinley
DLF Premium League
Team IrishDoom
Kitchen Sink 4
First Pick of Destiny
Maddog Football League (Keeper)
F Bombs

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:57 pm

freeportsands wrote:Awesome, thanks for the feedback Doggie - I can def understand the Cooper over White argument. Interested to get more thoughts and see how the community sees this at this stage...
I feel Cooper is much better than White as a prospect. Amazing route running with that speed is so rare. Has all the tools. Like a bigger, faster Antonio Brown. Cris Carter said he's better than Julio at Alabama, and the most advanced receiver to come out of college since Randy Moss. HOF receiver who watched more film than any one of us in our lifetime on the position, including lots of Moss when at Minnesota, who am I to argue. I rank him as the 1.01, I'd take him over Todd "generational talent" :roll: Gurley in a heartbeat!
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:20 am

any league where gordon drops to 1:5 that owner should immediately run to the store and buy a powerball lotto ticket and try to double up on their lucky day.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

venomreapers
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby venomreapers » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:48 pm

My top 6 has some differences. A few mainstays but a few new names.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Todd Gurley
3. Kevin White
4. Dorial Green Beckham
5. Tevin Coleman
6. Jaelen Strong
Dynasty Football United: Reading Reapers
Non-PPR all 6 point TD's, 1 QB, 0-2 RB, 1-5 WR, 0-3 TE, 1 K, 2-3 DL, 3-4 LB, 2-3 DB
QB: Andrew Luck, Carson Palmer
RB: Frank Gore, Robert Turbin, Ryan Mathews, Kenjon Barner, Mike Gillislee, Dion Lewis
WR: Mike Evans, Sammy Watkins, TY Hilton, Willie Snead, Allen Hurns, Travis Benjamin, Robby Anderson, JJ Nelson, Dontrelle Inman
TE: Martellus Bennett, Cameron Brate
K: Stephen Gostowski
DL: Danielle Hunter, Frank Clark, Kerry Hyder, Trey Flowers
LB: Lavonte David, Preston Brown, Telvin Smith, Craig Robertson, Danell Ellerbee
DB: Logan Ryan, Jahleel Addae, Daryl Worley, Donte Whitner

Taxi: De'Vondre Campbell, Cody Kessler, Sheldon Rankins, Elandon Roberts, TJ Green
IR/S: Jaylon Smith, Karlos Williams, J.J. Watt, Tyrann Mathieu, Jamaal Charles

Coogan Football
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Coogan Football » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:25 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:any league where gordon drops to 1:5 that owner should immediately run to the store and buy a powerball lotto ticket and try to double up on their lucky day.
In our new league I'm looking at getting Gordon at 1.04
12 team 6pts all TDs/.5ppr/SFlex/ balanced IDP, scoring est. 2008
Start QB,SF,2RB,3WR,TE,2Flex,3DL,3LB,3DB,2DFlex
3x Champion 2015, 2016, 2017
QB: Brees, Luck, Prescott, McCarron, C.Kelly, Peterman
RB: Elliott, Gurley, Hunt, Kamara, Gordon, Howard, McCaffrey, J.Williams,
WR: Julio, Hopkins, M.Thomas, TY, Watkins, Kupp, C.Davis, Thomas (LA), Carroo, Switzer, Tr. Taylor
TE: Olsen, Engram, Howard, Fleener, Swoope
DL: Watt, Mack, C.Jordan, Bosa, D.Hunter, Clowney, Armstead
LB: Kuechly, Ogletree, Mosley, McKinney, R.Foster, Bucannon, Z.Cunningham, Anzalone, ShaqT,
, Goodson, Pullard,
DB: H.Smith, Vaccaro, B.Jones, Neal, Adoree, K.Joseph, Geathers, M.Maye, J.Jones, D Thompson

Don't be the guy that asks for advice without giving some out yourself
#WhoDat

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:59 am

bcoogan23 wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote:any league where gordon drops to 1:5 that owner should immediately run to the store and buy a powerball lotto ticket and try to double up on their lucky day.
In our new league I'm looking at getting Gordon at 1.04
seeing it happen more and more and many so called industry experts are no that high on him ..... he is a steal at 1:1 to me but hey I am no expert.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

growskey23
Captain
Captain

Postby growskey23 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:05 pm

1. Cooper
2. Gurley
3. White

4. Parker
5. Gordon

6. Green-Beckham

The players in red are the ones that I'm really unsure of which I think is the 4th best player in the draft. I admit I'm a sucker for WRs so that may be the reason I have Parker>Gordon. But there are definitely other days where I see the talent that Gordon has thats gonna break the "Fear Wisconsin backs" rhetoric. I'd love to hear other's takes on those two specifically. I have a post in the Player Debate section, here:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=92311

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:41 pm

growskey23 wrote:1. Cooper
2. Gurley
3. White

4. Parker
5. Gordon

6. Green-Beckham

The players in red are the ones that I'm really unsure of which I think is the 4th best player in the draft. I admit I'm a sucker for WRs so that may be the reason I have Parker>Gordon. But there are definitely other days where I see the talent that Gordon has thats gonna break the "Fear Wisconsin backs" rhetoric. I'd love to hear other's takes on those two specifically. I have a post in the Player Debate section, here:

you are scared of wisconsin backs but not west virginia wr ....... austin bailey reynaud hell chris henry R.I.P. is the best one this century ... at least wisky had michael bennett at least he had 1 good season .
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

growskey23
Captain
Captain

Postby growskey23 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:46 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:
growskey23 wrote:1. Cooper
2. Gurley
3. White

4. Parker
5. Gordon

6. Green-Beckham

you are scared of wisconsin backs but not west virginia wr ....... austin bailey reynaud hell chris henry R.I.P. is the best one this century ... at least wisky had michael bennett at least he had 1 good season .
Sorry, I worded that unclearly. I'm saying that I can see the talent that will break the idea that everyone has that Wisconsin runningbacks are bad. I like both Parker and Gordon almost at the same level so I'm not sure what is going to separate them for me.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:29 am

that makes more sense I am torn between cooper and gordon as the 1:1 and I have that pick and the 1:2 in another league where a guy has gushed about gurley so I may pick 1 guy in each league just so I get a share of each.
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci