Mock Draft 3.0 - Discussion

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Mock Draft 3.0 - Discussion

Postby skip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:29 am

Apologies for not being around when the mock started - we were out of town the last 2 days and got in early AM.

Berry was absolutely the best pick for the Browns. He will be a dominant safety for them and their secondary becomes much stronger this offseason as a result. Thanks to hosler for making it as it would have been my pick there. As to the "other considerations", I would have to disagree with all of them other than Haden. In particular, Kindle would be an absolutely horrible selection in the top 10 as I don't even rate him as a 1st round talent. Cleveland is already deep at LB and has no need for one here. If they do, it should at least be McClain or Weatherspoon, but the latter isn't a worthy top 10 selection. The draft is also deep at CB, so though Haden has long been thought of as the selection, given the recent acquisition of a CB I don't believe they go that route.

Assuming they are in this position, I am expecting it to come down to Berry or Jason Pierre-Paul.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Mock Draft 3.0 - Discussion

Postby Shawn » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am

skip wrote:Apologies for not being around when the mock started - we were out of town the last 2 days and got in early AM.

Berry was absolutely the best pick for the Browns. He will be a dominant safety for them and their secondary becomes much stronger this offseason as a result. Thanks to hosler for making it as it would have been my pick there. As to the "other considerations", I would have to disagree with all of them other than Haden. In particular, Kindle would be an absolutely horrible selection in the top 10 as I don't even rate him as a 1st round talent. Cleveland is already deep at LB and has no need for one here. If they do, it should at least be McClain or Weatherspoon, but the latter isn't a worthy top 10 selection. The draft is also deep at CB, so though Haden has long been thought of as the selection, given the recent acquisition of a CB I don't believe they go that route.

Assuming they are in this position, I am expecting it to come down to Berry or Jason Pierre-Paul.

To me, Berry is the "slam dunk" pick for the Browns, although I a bit worried that some team like KC is going to take him first, as I've heard that Crennel is really high on Berry. At this point, I'm also getting convinced that Colt McCoy is the pick for the Browns in round 2 with Tebow being in strong consideration.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:41 am

Out of all the picks I think Clausen is the wild card in the first round. If some team takes him early (like Buffalo in this case) it will change a lot of things and certain players will begin to fall. Should be interesting to watch. Personally I would be shocked if a team traded up to take him in the late teens if he gets past Buffalo and Jacksonville.

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:09 pm

hosler427 wrote:Out of all the picks I think Clausen is the wild card in the first round. If some team takes him early (like Buffalo in this case) it will change a lot of things and certain players will begin to fall. Should be interesting to watch. Personally I would be shocked if a team traded up to take him in the late teens if he gets past Buffalo and Jacksonville.
I fully expect this to happen if he drops into the late teens.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:23 pm

grimace wrote:
hosler427 wrote:Out of all the picks I think Clausen is the wild card in the first round. If some team takes him early (like Buffalo in this case) it will change a lot of things and certain players will begin to fall. Should be interesting to watch. Personally I would be shocked if a team traded up to take him in the late teens if he gets past Buffalo and Jacksonville.
I fully expect this to happen if he drops into the late teens.
That was meant to say WOULDN'T BE SHOCKED...so yeah I am with you there. I would be a little surprised if he went top 10 at this point.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:39 pm

Clausen isn't going to see the precipitous fall like Quinn had. Throw all the "pro offense" stuff out the window and just watch the film. Clausen is a top 10 talent and if he happened to fall past that point there will be someone wanting to move up to draft him.

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:56 pm

If Clausen falls, I'm saying it now, the Vikings will trade up into about 16-18 range to snag him for the QB of the Future after Farve Retires for real.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:46 pm

I like Pierre-Paul for the Jags. They signed Kampman but they still need the other side covered.

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:46 pm

hosler427 wrote:I like Pierre-Paul for the Jags. They signed Kampman but they still need the other side covered.
Agree. Jacksonville has no second round picks, they'll need to make the first rounder count. The Titans are in the same bad situation, look for these two teams to trade down to Dallas or the Chargers, just my guess. Pierre_Paul would be a difference maker for the Jags, who did pretty good last year with the Britton and Monroe picks.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:16 pm

I know Al Davis loves the size, speed, and strength guys, but Bruce Campbell at 8? I've joked about it before, but NO WAY Campbell is drafted that early IMO. He's a project OT that will take at least 2 years to get his kraft down.

I bet the Raiders end up taking Jimmy Clausen.

cowboys85
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cowboys85 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:46 pm

In Mock 1.0, I considered Dan Williams at pick 28 for the Chargers, but he fell to the 2nd round at pick 35. Two months later, I'm taking him as a top 15 pick. Just impressive to see how much a guy's stock can rise in a short period of time.
ECFFL (Commissioner) - Mullet Mullitia
Gridiron 3 - Hamden Hawks
UDL - Connecticut Cowboys

Scorp
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Scorp » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:49 pm

cowboys85 wrote:In Mock 1.0, I considered Dan Williams at pick 28 for the Chargers, but he fell to the 2nd round at pick 35. Two months later, I'm taking him as a top 15 pick. Just impressive to see how much a guy's stock can rise in a short period of time.
I had him going as high as #3 to TB at one time :)

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:11 am

Pick 15 passes and Spiller and Bryant are still on the board. I could see this happening but at about this point I think teams in the 20's would be calling like crazy to trade up.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:30 am

hosler427 wrote:Pick 15 passes and Spiller and Bryant are still on the board. I could see this happening but at about this point I think teams in the 20's would be calling like crazy to trade up.
Seattle has no one at the RB position. I have a hard time envisioning them not selecting him at 14.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:34 am

skip wrote:
hosler427 wrote:Pick 15 passes and Spiller and Bryant are still on the board. I could see this happening but at about this point I think teams in the 20's would be calling like crazy to trade up.
Seattle has no one at the RB position. I have a hard time envisioning them not selecting him at 14.
We will see but I don't see Spiller as an every down RB and if he isn't, than how can you justify taking him at 14 with the possibility of getting an every down guy at the end of the 2nd round?