Mock draft competition - discussion thread

This is the forum for public mock drafts. To avoid any confusion, please do not post in individual draft forums of which you are not a member.
BradyT
Legend
Legend

Mock draft competition - discussion thread

Postby BradyT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 am

Well.. who is up for the following?

2010 1st round mock draft competition:

10 points for every correct player (for example you say Taylor Mays goes #1 and he actually does*)

5 points for every correct position (for example you say Taylor Mays goes #1 but in the end it is Eric Berry*)
*both very likely.. :lol:

Plain and simple :)

A few questions:

1) Do we make a difference between the different LB positions(important for the 5 pt rule)? I´d say No!

2) Safeties are safeties?! doesnt matter if SS or FS?! I´d say yes!

3) Difference between the different Oline positions? I´d say yes!(no question IMO)

4) Post everyones mock draft at the morning of draft day 1?! (we just need to make sure nobody copying someone elses mock :D.. or we just trust each other and could post our mocks at any time, weeks/months/now before the draft and just change it from time to time)

5) Anything you wanna add/scratch(regarding rules,scoring and maybe the number of rounds we´re doing)? If not?...

...please sign up. I´m gonna update the list

Mock draft competition participants:

-BradyT
-grimace
-hosler427
-Salty Dawg
-GridIronFavre
-Phish Brigade
-BubbaBurst
-bigcsr67
-hot nikkels
Last edited by BradyT on Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 7 times in total.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 am

I'm in,

I vote we label both FS and SS as just safeties, and the same thing LB

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 am

I will be in. The competitions I have been in in the past are set up differently and maybe we could include some of those components. The way they were set up you got 15 points if you got the player right for that pick...less if you were one pick off, less than that if you were two picks off, etc.

I think was 15, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 or something like that. Maybe combine that with the points for getting the position right? Just a thought. Either way I will participate and monitor my points from Radio City Music Hall :wink:

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:55 am

hosler427 wrote:I will be in. The competitions I have been in in the past are set up differently and maybe we could include some of those components. The way they were set up you got 15 points if you got the player right for that pick...less if you were one pick off, less than that if you were two picks off, etc.

I think was 15, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, 1 or something like that. Maybe combine that with the points for getting the position right? Just a thought. Either way I will participate and monitor my points from Radio City Music Hall :wink:
So I still get points(or better 1) if I say Taylor Mays at #1 and he gets drafted at #15? this way you almost get points for every player.. well almost. :lol:
not sure.. but lets hear what others say - you guys have more expereince in setting up something like this and knowing what works.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 pm

BradyT wrote:
hosler427 wrote:I will be in. The competitions I have been in in the past are set up differently and maybe we could include some of those components. The way they were set up you got 15 points if you got the player right for that pick...less if you were one pick off, less than that if you were two picks off, etc.

So I still get points(or better 1) if I say Taylor Mays at #1 and he gets drafted at #15? this way you almost get points for every player.. well almost. :lol:
not sure.. but lets hear what others say - you guys have more expereince in setting up something like this and knowing what works.
No lets say you predict Mays at #8 overall and he goes #9. You wouldn't get the full 15 points, you would get 11 or whatever you determine the scoring to be prior the draft. I would have to look it up to see how it worked again but it was something like that.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 pm

hosler427 wrote:
BradyT wrote:

No lets say you predict Mays at #8 overall and he goes #9. You wouldn't get the full 15 points, you would get 11 or whatever you determine the scoring to be prior the draft. I would have to look it up to see how it worked again but it was something like that.

And if he goes #10,#11 and so on? or #7#6...?

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:57 pm

BradyT wrote:

That is what you would have to come up with. I think the competition I did was...

0 picks off - 15 points
1 pick off - 9 points
2 picks off - 7 points
3 picks off - 5 points
4 picks off - 3 points
5 picks off - 1 point
6 or more - 0 points

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:48 pm

hosler427 wrote:
BradyT wrote:

That is what you would have to come up with. I think the competition I did was...

0 picks off - 15 points
1 pick off - 9 points
2 picks off - 7 points
3 picks off - 5 points
4 picks off - 3 points
5 picks off - 1 point
6 or more - 0 points

I think that is a great idea Dan. Its exactly what I have been a part of in the past. I would most definitely be in with this "marginal" scoring system.
And if it were more of a "absolute" scoring system ..I will still participate but I dont like my chances as much.

I dont like my chances regardless but hey Ive got to get lucky sometime.

Got my top 5 set but if u have ever done this before, you find out really quickly that after picks 12 or 13 its anybody guess.

Before I forget --what I think needs to be clarified is the scoring system for picks. Are we scoring correct picks for going to the correct team or for picks going at the correct draft slot.
Id prefer correct draft slot as Ive always picked with the intent that that particular team is ging to pck there-- but as we all know teams move up and down-- and if that happens at least I know i might be able to score in a marginal point system if I dont get the right team but get it right within a certain number of picks.

I hope the last paragraph made sense.

ONly example I could think of is Houston moving up to take Mario Williams. If it were picking the team there would have been no way anyway had saw this coming . If we wer picking draft slots I can see where even if the saints were stil on the clock some of us...perhaps those who are big nc state fans could have still scored on Mario.

Mario did go to NCState right..I threw that one out there without looking.
Time to shower and get settled in for my LOnghorns.

HOOK EM HORNS!!

Rob

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:58 pm

No I think it would need to be the player going to the right team at the right draft slot, with the draft order being the one as it is going into day 1. If a trade like what the Jets did happens, I guess thats bad luck.

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:17 pm

BradyT wrote:No I think it would need to be the player going to the right team at the right draft slot, with the draft order being the one as it is going into day 1. If a trade like what the Jets did happens, I guess thats bad luck.
so u are saying guy to the team scores points. otherwise no dice.?

Thats tough. teams move around.

how do others feel.

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Regardless of the format, I am definitely in!
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:26 pm

Salty Dawg wrote:
BradyT wrote:No I think it would need to be the player going to the right team at the right draft slot, with the draft order being the one as it is going into day 1. If a trade like what the Jets did happens, I guess thats bad luck.
so u are saying guy to the team scores points. otherwise no dice.?

Thats tough. teams move around.

how do others feel.
atleast the full 15 points, yes. allthough I´m not quiet sure how this could work with the scoring you guys want. and would happen if you say Taylor Mays goes # to OAK, but OAK trades this pick to another team and this other team still selects Mays. This would mean no picks off, but not the team(OAK) you said. maybe just 10 points instead of the full 15. Because to get the full 15, I think yiu have to predict everything right. Shouldn´t be to "easy".

Salty Dawg
Starter
Starter

Postby Salty Dawg » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:13 pm

trust me picking the spot aint that easy. TRUST ME. iVE got like 9out of the first 12 right one year and thought I ws gonnas score a ton ..and then all all the movements took place. AFter some teams move up and down and tms are done with all the smoke screens you find that all the predictions by kiper and mcshay arent right on.

Im still with picking the spot and wehn you hit the team perhpas that cjould be a "bonus".

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:24 pm

I'm in... regardless of the format.

I'll warn everyone now, last year I selected Jarron Gilbert as the 67th overall draft pick. ( different site, different idea ) He went to Chicago as the 68th overall draft pick. :wink:

:lol: LOL :lol:
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:40 am

I'm in. Don't think you can differentiate between 'backers because you don't know whos going to play what in the pros (ex. Maulaga). I would say it could be an issue with the DE/LB hybrids.
DLF I Romo, Mathews, DMC, Murray, AJohnson, Welker, Wayne, Nelson, Finley
DLF II Peyton, McCoy, Ballard, DJackson, VJackson, DMoore, Welker, Gronk
DLF R Cam, AP, Foster, RWilliams, Nicks, SSmith, Floyd, Hill, Gresham, Keller
DLF U Eli, DMC, CJ2k, Sproles, Ballard, AJ Green, VJackson, Graham, Gresham