Looking to start a new $$$ Dynasty League

Are you a commissioner looking for dedicated coaches or a coach looking for a serious league? Advertise your desires here.

Am I crazy to expect hard working folks to fork over $200 to join my new Dynasty league?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:16 am

Yes
57%
No
36%
Maybe
7%

Total votes: 14

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Looking to start a new $$$ Dynasty League

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:16 am

I have been playing fantasy football for years but have never tried a Dynasty League before. I am thinking of setting up a 12 team prize league on MFL and am looking for advice on how much I should charge for a buy-in. I would like to award prizes for First Second and Third places as well as a prize or two for those that don't make the playoffs - maybe a 'Toilet Bowl', for example. I also want to make sure owners are committed and I think there are few better ways to ensure commitment than to charge a significant entry fee.

So, having said all that, I was thinking of $200 or more for a league buy-in - am I way off?

yankdog
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Looking to start a new $$$ Dynasty League

Postby yankdog » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:13 pm

I play in a dynasty league where the annual ante is $100 and it definitely adds a level of seriousness to it. All of the owners are top quality and been around for years and years frankly. $200 would be too steep for me but I would love to find another $100 league. I suspect you'll hear from others that $200 is a good number to keep folks engaged. But I think it also depends on the payout structure with that amount of money.
Team A: 12 Team PPR, 24 Player Roster, Start 2-3RBs, 3-4WRs, 1TE
QB: Arod, Ryan, Fitz
RB: Lynch, AP, Ridley, Gerhart, Redman, Pierce
WR: AJ, Jordy, Little, Collie, Meachem, T. Young,D. Baldwin
TE: Davis
K: Kasay
Def: SF

Team B: 12 Team PPR, 24 Player Roster, Start 2-4RBs, 2-4WRs, 1-3TEs
QB: Peyton Manning, Luck and Colt McCoy
RB: Ogbonnaya, Martin, Turbin, Gray, Herron
WRs: Decker, Hankerson, Benn, Doucet, HIll, Wright, Broyles,Jenkins
TE: Rudolph, LaDarius Green
K: Hanson
Def: Bengals

tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby tidewaterjc » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:20 pm

The higher the stakes, the smaller the pool of potential GMs (and replacement owners). I always felt that in a $$ dynasty, GMs should have to pay a year in advance (refundable upon finding a suitable replacement owner, should need be). A $200 buy-in to cover 2 seasons ($100/yr) would attract enough interest and allow for some payouts. Disagree with 'Toilet Bowl' payouts whole-heartedly, but 1st-3rd and maybe division winners.

Seems strange, but I am much more inclined to wager $200 at a live poker table with people I don't know than a FF league.
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:48 pm

tidewaterjc wrote:The higher the stakes, the smaller the pool of potential GMs (and replacement owners). I always felt that in a $$ dynasty, GMs should have to pay a year in advance (refundable upon finding a suitable replacement owner, should need be). A $200 buy-in to cover 2 seasons ($100/yr) would attract enough interest and allow for some payouts. Disagree with 'Toilet Bowl' payouts whole-heartedly, but 1st-3rd and maybe division winners.

Seems strange, but I am much more inclined to wager $200 at a live poker table with people I don't know than a FF league.
I'd be willing to invest this much but would want to know all the owners. It would have to be a very intimate league among people I absolutely trust at that dollar amount.

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:00 pm

yankdog wrote:I play in a dynasty league where the annual ante is $100 and it definitely adds a level of seriousness to it. All of the owners are top quality and been around for years and years frankly. $200 would be too steep for me but I would love to find another $100 league. I suspect you'll hear from others that $200 is a good number to keep folks engaged. But I think it also depends on the payout structure with that amount of money.

Thanks you for your input, it is appreciated. I am thinking $200 may be a bit steep as well.
Wild Thing Elite League (Proposed for 2012)
12 team, 3 divisions, 40 player, PPR
1QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, 1 TE, 2 LB, 2 DE, 2 DB, 1 K

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:02 pm

tidewaterjc wrote:The higher the stakes, the smaller the pool of potential GMs (and replacement owners). I always felt that in a $$ dynasty, GMs should have to pay a year in advance (refundable upon finding a suitable replacement owner, should need be). A $200 buy-in to cover 2 seasons ($100/yr) would attract enough interest and allow for some payouts. Disagree with 'Toilet Bowl' payouts whole-heartedly, but 1st-3rd and maybe division winners.

I really like the idea of a 'deposit' which is then refundable once a replacement owner is found. What happens if an owner just leaves and forfeits the deposit? Should the forfeited deposit then be added to the prize money?

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:04 pm

highballers wrote:

I'd be willing to invest this much but would want to know all the owners. It would have to be a very intimate league among people I absolutely trust at that dollar amount.
Would having the prize money in an escrow account alleviate mistrust? How are most pay leagues managed when it comes to prize money?

tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Postby tidewaterjc » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:10 pm

Many options depending on the shape of the team left behind -
a. used to offer discount for a replacement owner, either in full or partial; or
b. added to the prize pool for that season; or
c. combination of above

All managed thru Leaguesafe. Amongst people you don't know, the safest bet and viewable by all league members.
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks tidewaterjc, I have heard good things about LeagueSafe and will definitely be using their services.

Chandler Bing
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Chandler Bing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:33 pm

I think you have to use Leaguesafe. I have seen several Commisioners that have taken money and run in the last few years. Unless it is someone that is well trusted in the forums it is just the best idea to secure the funds

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:05 pm

So, I will be forming:
12-team Dynasty League on MyFantasyLeague.com
Probably with a $100 buy-in and some sort of deposit
All finances managed by LeagueSafe
100% of money for prizes once expenses covered (LeagueSafe, MyFantasyLeague, etc.)
Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and probably prizes for each of the Division winners (other prizes will be voted on by the league members once formed)

Off to a good start.

Next I think will be deciding on rosters. I am leaning towards 1QB 1RB 2WR 2Flex 1TE 1PK 1LB 1DT 1DB and having a total of 30 roster spots. Any thoughts or comments?

Leghumper
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Leghumper » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:22 pm

I would def do a RB2 spot and add IDP's. I think you'll find when you start using IDP's that you'll want to add more and more. It's more work but it's much more rewarding. FWIW, I play in three leagues that all have a $100 entry fee and ownership is strong in all of them for the most part.
"So many legs, so little time."

Droseisabeast
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Droseisabeast » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:39 pm

I would like to join if you have a spot. A few guys know me on this site and I play alot in money leagues on RTSsports.com. Alias is SwaggerJacker. Send me a pm.

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:23 pm

Droseisabeast wrote:I would like to join if you have a spot. A few guys know me on this site and I play alot in money leagues on RTSsports.com. Alias is SwaggerJacker. Send me a pm.

I'll definitely PM you once I have the league up and running - should be in a few days (I want to make sure I do it right the first time!).

DoAWildThing

DoAWildThing
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby DoAWildThing » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Thank you to all for your input!

I have decided that this will be a PPR league and the roster size will be a total of 30 or perhaps 32. Positions will be:

1QB
2RB
2WR
1TE
1PK
2Flex
2LB
2DE
2DB

Anyone have suggestions for Waiver/Free Agency rules?

DoAWildThing