Auction Newcomers?

Are you a commissioner looking for dedicated coaches or a coach looking for a serious league? Advertise your desires here.
MonkeyOne
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Auction Newcomers?

Postby MonkeyOne » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm interested in trying an auction league, but don't want something as major as a dynasty start up to get a first feel for it. Is there any interest here for a redraft auction league for people interested in trying things? Or is there such a thing as auction mocks?

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Auction Newcomers?

Postby GridIronFavre » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Yahoo has auction mock drafts but those are always kind of crappy considering a lot of the people tend to bail right away, which then leaves everything up to the computer. I would be in for a redraft auction league this year, as I too would like to try it.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

Wolfjack
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby Wolfjack » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:44 pm

I realize you didn't ask for any friendly advice, but I participated two years in an auction redraft league but owner and commish issues shut it down. Things to consider:

1. He used Team DEF and not IDP. While I only ever play IDP, it turns out playing Team DEF was a good idea, because...

2. An auction draft can take a loooong time. Imagine each pick being made ten to twenty times each one. Every time a player is chosen, there are bids and more bids so be prepared to take a while doing it. All we had was a QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR's, TE and DEF plus a bench of 6 and the draft was generally 5 -6 hours long.

3. He had a keeper league so you could keep players (not sure now of it was 3, 4 or 5) and you subtracted from your total what you paid for them in the previous year. Nice reward if you nabbed a great player cheap.

4. The site is critical. There was an actual auction site that we held the draft on but it has since gone under. ESPN's works great from what I saw and its free.

It is a rush picking a team auction style so have fun!
Last edited by Wolfjack on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lee Deline

2006 United Dynasty League Inaugural Champion
GM of Waterloo Wolves - Member of the United Dynasty League
GM of Waterloo Bandits - Commissioner of the Premier Dynasty League
GM of Waterloo Reapers - Member of the DLF Charter League
GM of Waterloo Storm - Member of the DLF Charter League II

Phish Brigade
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Phish Brigade » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:20 pm

FWIW, the last time I did an auction draft was about 2-3 years ago on ESPN. They had just launched their new auction software, and it worked really well. Haven't checked it out since, but unless it's regressed it should be fine.

I kind of agree with Lee. An IDP auction draft with anything more than 25 rosters spots could take awhile. But as long as you don't have a bunch of schmucks in it, it shouldn't be too bad. You get a bunch of guys who will wait until the clock winds down to 1 before upping the bid for the 10th time and you're in for a long night. We did a regular team D draft with 18-20 roster spots and it only took 1.5-2 hours. It was a pretty good group of people though.

I think I'll pass on the league, even though auction drafts are a ton of fun. Good luck!
GDF3
QB- Vick, Freeman, Hasselbeck, Yates
RB- Foster, McCoy, M Bush, Ben Tate, R Jennings, Alex Green
WR- Wallace, TBMW, Colston, Boldin, Collie, Amendola, Washington Roberts, Doss
TE- Gates, Cook, Carlson, Heap, Shiancoe
K- Cundiff, Novak
DL- Abraham, J Smith, James Hall, R Quinn, Keiser
LB- Poz, DJ Will, Vilma, Wake, Rivers, Mays, Irving
DB- Polamalu, Berry, Delmas, C Woodson, M Griffin, T Thomas, Byrd