Forum Upgrade 1/8/17 - Follow Up

Administrative announcements, suggestions, opinions, complaints, problems, wish list items. Whatever it is about the administration or operation of the site or forum, you can find or post it here.
dlf_kenm
Administrator

Forum Upgrade 1/8/17 - Follow Up

Postby dlf_kenm » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:12 am

This thread was previously titled "So what the heck just happened?!?"
I have renamed the thread so it will be more clear and relevant.
I have also unpinned this from being a global post.

You may have noticed the forum was down for the entire weekend.
You have undoubtedly noticed the forum looks different.
You'll no doubt run into some issues with things not being where they used to be - links, buttons, etc.
And you may not even like the new look and wonder why we can't just stick with the old design.

Well, here's the (quick) scoop.

Friday night I was running a routine upgrade of the forum software. It was a necessary upgrade as the version we were using was more than a dozen releases behind the current version and was actually no longer supported. These upgrades are fairly routine and usually only take a few hours.

During the upgrade process, the database running the forum became corrupted. The two backups of the database taken the night just before the update were faulty backups and could not be used for a full restore. After several attempts over the weekend to restore the database, we were finally able to get a good restore from a backup taken on Thursday night at midnight. We also had to upgrade to the very latest version of the phpbb software in order to make everything work again. We didn't get everything fully functional again until late Sunday night.

So with that background, here are a few things you'll want to know.

Did the Russians hack the site?

No. But I might have almost preferred that.

Why does the site look different?

The forum theme we were previously using is not compatible with the latest version of the forum software. We had to use a new theme for the forum. I selected this theme based on a number of forward-looking reasons, including good mobile compatibility. I know there will be some acclimation necessary to the new layout and functionality - this would be true for most any theme. But this is the theme we'll be using moving forward. I'll be making tweaks and mods to it as possible.

Why are my posts from Friday Jan 6th are not showing?

Because we had to restore the database from a backup taken at midnight on Thursday night, all posts made on Friday the 6th have been lost. I am truly sorry about that. But given the fact we were potentially looking at losing most of the posts from the last ten years, one day's worth of conversation now seems like an acceptable price to pay.

Why doesn't Tapatalk work anymore?

The Tapatalk plugin is not yet compatible with the latest version of the forum software. I'm sure they will roll out a compatible plugin soon, and when they do, I'll get in installed. I use Tapatalk as well, so I feel your pain.

I can't figure out how to do ... ?

We will all no doubt run into issues where we are trying to perform some function that was located in a certain place on the previous forum theme, but now is in a different location. The forum has not lost any functionality, it's around somewhere, it's probably just in a slightly different place or the button or link looks different. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience, I'll be going through the same learning curve as you. But we had to change the theme. Let's just make the best of it and help each other out. Before we know it, this will be the new normal.

I tried to do X and I got an error message. What do I do?

If you try to do something and it doesn't work, or you get an error message, please let me know right away, preferably by DMing me or posting here on this thread. I'll follow up an any issues as soon as I can. Given that this was a major upgrade that din't go 100% smoothly, I will not be at all surprised if there are some lingering bungs to work out.

Thank you for your patience, I sincerely appreciate it. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly (via DM) if you wish. I again apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. And as always, thank you all so much for making the DLF community the most awesome dynasty community on the planet!

spider321
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: So what the heck just happened?!?

Postby spider321 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 am

Theme/layout looks much better now.
12 Team Standard Dynasty - QB, RB, 2WR, 2Flex, K, 3IDP (WR and TE are the same)

QB - Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence
RB - Bijan Robinson, Christian McCaffrey, Saquon Barkley, Tony Pollard. Najee Harris, Javonte Williams, Rachaad White, D'Andre Swift
WR - Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jerry Jeudy, Kyle Pitts, George Pickens, Jameson Williams, Kadarius Toney
K - Daniel Carlson
IDP - Nick Bolton, Devin White, Derwin James

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 am

It's a mess on Android. Sent a pm.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 am

Not sure if it bothers you or you can do anything about it, but it seems that the spacing between lines is too great in the thread indexes. When I mean "thread indexes", I mean the sub forums where you skim through the list of current threads. It just seems that there's too much space between thread titles, making it difficult to skim from top to bottom in one quick swoop. Historically the titles were much closer together, perhaps a little too close. But now we've gone the other extreme. The font may also be a little too large...

jmho, btw.

pokerface40
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pokerface40 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:43 am

Not gonna lie, I hate it. Yes I get that technology happens and you need to update/upgrade your databases, etc. But upon initial browsing it has a strong feeling similar to reddit, which isn't good imo.

saw061600
Legend
Legend

Postby saw061600 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:24 am

Various links drop down menus (like the jump to at the bottom of page) are default to "open" which is it a bit distracting.
10 TM No PPR or waiver 85RST
Herbert Fields Garoppolo Ridder
JT Barkley Etienne Ingram Charb CEH
Evans Aiyuk Dionte Jeudy London JWill GWils EMoore JMyers Mims Moorex2
Andrews Kinkaid Pits Freiermuth
NBosa Quinnen DJJones Clark F-Myers Taylor Graham
Darius Okereke Kendricks DCampbell DJones Baker Kiser Brooks
Adams Simmons Vaccaro Joseph

12 TM .5ppr 45 RST
Herbert Stroud Mayfield
JT Achane Kamara Ford Pacheco Jaleel
AJB DK Godwin Aiyuk Kirk ZJones RMoore Thornton
Hock F-muth
LWilliams Payne Reed Greenard
Bernard Kendricks Warner Baker Williams Tranquil
Budda McKinney Clark Wilson

1-2QB 2-4RB 3-5WR 1-3TE 11OFF/DEF
Herbert Stafford Brock Dobbs
Taylor Jacobs Mattison Kyren Jaleel Ford Bigsby
AJB Diggs Evans Kirk McLaurin Dionte Boyd Renfrow JuJu
Kelce Pitts Deguara
Hutchinson Rousseau Greenard Travon Demarcus
QWilliams EJones TBernard Dean ShaqT Kyzir
Amos Bates Peppers Murray Fitz Clark

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:39 am

Been there with this forum software. New format isn't great, but the old one wasn't either. I was just used to it. I'll get used to this as well. I do like that going to latest post in a thread no longer requires hitting that tiny square.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:52 am

Things never go as smooth as you expect or hope. Everyone will get used to the new layout. I do agree that some of the Menu's appear to be defaulted to Open, which hopefully can be corrected, and hopefully Tapatalk is back online soon (i suspect limited access until then), but it all looks good otherwise. Good job resolving on the fly.

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:29 am

Initially I don't like it, but like I heard a few times in Sherlock last night, "it is what it is." Good job with the recovery.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:45 am

I am also having the problem of every drop-down list default to open/expanded when I load the page. It is pretty annoying.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 am

I like the new theme a lot overall. A few suggested edits though:
1. thinner post titles so we can skim all the top threads more quickly
2. a brighter color or larger colored area for unread posts instead of the little red circle would make it easier to clearly distinguish read and unread threads
3. larger buttons for quote post etc. The more experienced users on this forum will be able to find these buttons and others, but new users may have trouble locating them.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:23 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:12 am I like the new theme a lot overall. A few suggested edits though:
1. thinner post titles so we can skim all the top threads more quickly
2. a brighter color or larger colored area for unread posts instead of the little red circle would make it easier to clearly distinguish read and unread threads
3. larger buttons for quote post etc. The more experienced users on this forum will be able to find these buttons and others, but new users may have trouble locating them.
Agree with all of these. Report post and quote/reply to post are right next to each other and look exactly the same--some differentiation here would be helpful.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 am

Did all my previous bad advice/predictions get wiped out so I can pretend they didn't happen?

Glad you got it fixed. Don't like it initially but I'll get used to it.

sharkattack
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby sharkattack » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:22 am

Thanks for the update! I like the "new" outlook. I learned that I probably use the DLF forum a little too much, because my weekend was borderline ruined because of it being down, haha!

On a serious note, I am struggling finding a link to return back to the DLF homepage, or more so to navigate to the rankings / ADP portion while using the forum. Am I just missing it? If so, could someone please point out where it is....thank you!

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:32 am

Viewing on iPhone 7 with iOS 10.1, I personally think that it looks fantastic. The previous phpBB forum software look was quite dated...and this version looks far more modern, imo.

If you ask me, 'twas a blessing in disguise! :thumbup: