Calvin for Cobb

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

rather have on your dynasty Team

Poll ended at Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Calvin Johnson
53%
Randell Cobb
47%

Total votes: 79

Seattle
Role Player
Role Player

Calvin for Cobb

Postby Seattle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:18 am

Easy who would you rather have on your dynasty team.

Calvin Johnson

or

Randell Cobb
To many leagues to put all teams on here.

Just a big thanks and DLF rules

mjb6008
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Calvin for Cobb

Postby mjb6008 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:45 am

Cobb for sure, younger, hes a bonafide stud, and hes with Rodgers for the next few years atleast.

Seattle
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Seattle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:55 am

I want to know why 2 people picked Calvin.. I love the guy when healthy almost no one can compare to him. Cobb has some holes in his game and with out Rodgers don't know where he would be.

Thanks for all the votes guys.
To many leagues to put all teams on here.

Just a big thanks and DLF rules

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:00 am

this could make for a good discussion. i recently was offered megatron for my cobb. i accepted after thinking about it for 2 days. (thats typically not my thing. i usually accept, reject, or counter right away) i had a tough time deciding what to do on this one because my gut tells me that cobb is the #1 in gb going forward and obviously the age difference. however, i still think calvin will still go big for another few years and that can be huge come playoff time. i went with calvin and the hopeful short term gain. for a team thats got the pieces to win at every position, yet getting up there in age...i see no reason why they should be hesitant to acquire megatron for a nice price. the goal is to win, and most teams dont have that window every year. take advantage of it while you do. more than likely i will ride megatron in to retirement in that league.

if your team is young and you arent quite sure if your a contender or not, this is when it gets tricky. how many years does calvin have left of wr1 production? will your team be ready to contend in that time? will you be trying to sell cobb/calvin in the next year or two? are you content to move cobb and ride calvin in to retirement if you cant get much for him in the future? the market im seeing on here, tells me that i shouldnt have to add to cobb, so i wouldnt, but a straight swap...i like my chances.

for your team, i think i would stick with calvin. you certainly look to have the pieces to win this year. its not the games that calvin scores 20 that benefit you greatly. its those weeks when he goes for 30 plus that you can sit back and smile. those weeks can be the difference between winning and losing, and if those weeks were to come in the playoffs...that could mean the difference between a championship or falling out of the tourney.

Detroitcity
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Detroitcity » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:44 am

I agree with Sloth, in the fact that this is an interesting discussion. Last year Cobb scored 295 pts in a standard PPR while playing all 16 games. Calvin essentially missed 4 games (and was hobbled in a 5th), and scored 227. The point differential is 68 pts, and Calvin's average (including the week 5 game he left after 1 target, which I count as "missed") was 17.4. So assuming Calvin holds his 17.4 average for the 4 "missed" games, they come out with essentially the same production for the year

Obviously Cobb has the youth factor

I also agree with Sloth that it really depends on team situation when evaluating between these 2 players. If you are a strong contender and prefer the elite level production, then you likely side with Calvin. If you are a borderline playoff team w/ a young core, you likely side w/ Cobb

When I began writing this and I voted on the poll, I was going to say that "in a vacuum", I would lean towards Calvin because he has higher week to week upside/ceiling and still offers the same week to week consistency/high floor that Cobb does. But after further review, Calvin scored over 20 pts or more 5 times last season (im counting his 19.9 as 20) and scored 30 or more 3 times...but Cobb scored 20 or more on 7 occassions and only went 30 or more 1 time. Obviously no one knows what Calvin would have done in the 4 "missed" games and he could've equaled Cobb's 7 times of 20 or more, but either way I was shocked that Cobb scored over 20 that many times

So with that said, I'm warming up to the Cobb side here, but in your situation due to the age of guys like Charles/Lynch/Olsen, having a young QB, and another young stud WR in Green, and I would probably stick with Calvin here, because I think he still offers more week to week upside and has that "explosion" that could single handedly win you a week. If you had say Luck/Lacy/Charles/Evans/Calvin/Gronk and had a younger core, then I'd probably take Cobb, because his youth could potentially extend your championship window a little longer than a guy like Calvin and offer similiar yearly upside for the next 2 years
Last edited by Detroitcity on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 am

Has Calvin really fallen this far? Cobb is good, but he isn't Calvin.

mjb6008
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mjb6008 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:52 am

After the past couple posts I'd like to change my answer a bit. You asked "Who would you rather have on your dynasty team" my answer to that is without a doubt Cobb. If I were drafting in a start up I would pick Cobb before Calvin for sure. But, when looking at your team I would agree that it makes sense to keep Calvin, I think overall he is less valuable than Cobb, but I believe he gives your team a better chance to win this year. And when I take the fact that your RBs are Charles and Lynch into consideration I think you should be doing all you can to win now.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:57 am

Cobb is 5 years younger and will probably put up similar numbers. Not a hard decision for me.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 am

dynastyninja wrote:Cobb is 5 years younger and will probably put up similar numbers. Not a hard decision for me.
x2
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

The Hams
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby The Hams » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:05 am

calvin johnson is the best receiver of this decade?

randall cobb is talented wr but is also a product of having the best qb in the league...calvin can put up 40 point games.cobb wont..

you can say calvin has had injury issues..well cobb misssed 10 games in 2013...injuries happen to everyone..and just one more note..one year ago..calvin adp was top 3...in one year he has fallen from 3 to like 15 bc he missed a few games and ottherwise would have been a top 8 wr?

The Hams
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby The Hams » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:09 am

cobb also isnt a touchdown guy..you can say he had 12 last season..but after week 8...he had 3...i understand he is good for ppr..but i like tds :)

shouldnt the actual debate be calvin for cobb + what...its calvin johnson..guys..who cares he is older..if that is the only reason u have... :wall:

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:32 am

The last five seasons of Calvin in PPR, all of which were WR1 finishes. What changed that will prevent him from doing it again? After he came back from injury he averaged 19.73 points. Regardless of format he's one of the highest floor players in dynasty and singlehandedly wins games. I'd take Cobb in a rebuild but if the goal is to win, why wouldn't you take Calvin? If Cobb got cut, his value plummets. If Calvin got cut, it stays the same.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:39 am

The Hams wrote:cobb also isnt a touchdown guy..you can say he had 12 last season..but after week 8...he had 3...i understand he is good for ppr..but i like tds :)

shouldnt the actual debate be calvin for cobb + what...its calvin johnson..guys..who cares he is older..if that is the only reason u have... :wall:
Cobb's not a touchdown guy? He's averaged .85 touchdowns a game excluding his rookie year. In those same three years Calvin has averaged .58 a game. If we go back and add Calvin's 16 touchdown season his number only goes up to .69 touchdowns a game. If you like TDs then it seems like Cobb would be the better choice from those numbers.

Injuries happen to everyone, but as one gets old their injuries will happen more often. Calvin is 29. Like it or not, but he's approaching the questionable age where we don't know how much longer he'll last. Look at Roddy White. He was the picture of health until one point he just started falling apart.

Calvin and Cobb will probably put up similar numbers for the next few years, and if Calvin does outscore him it won't be by much. You also have to figure that Calvin's numbers will slowly start to decline, so in a couple years I expect Cobb will definitely be outproducing him. Is losing all that long-term value worth the 1 or 2 ppg advantage you might get for the next two years? I do think Calvin tends to be undervalued because of an injury season, but that doesn't mean I think he is worth more than a young producer like Cobb who will basically put up the same amount of points. Sure, he's the best receiver of this decade, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look at his current value reasonably.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:44 am

Cameron Giles wrote:17.4

The last five seasons of Calvin in PPR, all of which were WR1 finishes. What changed that will prevent him from doing it again? After he came back from injury he averaged 19.73 points. Regardless of format he's one of the highest floor players in dynasty and singlehandedly wins games. I'd take Cobb in a rebuild but if the goal is to win, why wouldn't you take Calvin? If Cobb got cut, his value plummets. If Calvin got cut, it stays the same.
Cobb's last two PPGs have been 17.68 and 18.4. Calvin might return to the 21-22 range, but even if he does how long do you think he'll be there? He turns 30 in three months. His numbers are going to start declining eventually.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:21 am

Why would they decline? Who else is Stafford going to throw to? Its feasible he can put up elite numbers for 4-5 more years. He's a freak talent at receiver and his floor is insanely high.