Dynasty Dilemma: Watkins v Cooper

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Dynasty Dilemma: Watkins v Cooper

Sammy Watkins
37%
Amari Cooper
63%

Total votes: 62

bainer3
Captain
Captain

Re: Dynasty Dilemma: Watkins v Cooper

Postby bainer3 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:30 am

I just think people dismiss the fact watkins played through injury the whole season while facing corners like haden, revis, harris, and grimes every other week. I compare watkins situation to his former teammate hopkins because they both had good rookie seasons (with bleep qbs) but not GREAT. Hopkins turned it up this year with even more shotty qb play than watkins will ever face and now hopkins is flirting with top 10 receiver in fantasy land. Now put this into consideration, if you made this comparison with hopkins and watkins last season as if they came out at the same time you would choose watkins every time. I just don't see the point in making these comparisons or having these debates until the end of coopers rookie season. I can see comparing them skill set wise and that they could very well end up on equal ground, but judging by these votes its pure rookie fever.

As you said yourself it would be close even if they came out of college at the same time, but watkins has played that year and has had those reps against the best corners in the league. The gap will more likely than not close, but at this point i dont see the point in making comparisons between 2 potentially elite receivers when one hasn't played a snap.

Chandler Bing
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Chandler Bing » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:41 pm

They are pretty close. I chose Cooper because he is a superior route runner. Looking at their athletic profile they are pretty even

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:24 pm

Cooper.

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:49 pm

Watkins had a pretty decent rookie season but I like Cooper More, no fever. Maybe its the haircut?
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

Gametime675
Captain
Captain

Postby Gametime675 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:49 am

I'm a big Watkins fan but I would steal lean Cooper here. Granted, nobody is 100%bust proof but I think Cooper is about as close as you can get. He put up eye popping stats on a run first team in the toughest division in college football. I'm a Clemson fan and I can tell you what Cooper did in college was much more impressive than what Watkins did in an up tempo offense in the ACC. I'm not taking anything away from Sammy, he could be a stud, but I prefer Cooper as a prospect even with a "prove it" year in the NFL.

And Oakland is not a fantastic landing spot but in PPR Cooper is going to be money. Derek Carr only throws short-intermediate and Cooper is going to gobble up targets from Day 1. Oakland's defense is lacking and, despite his many flaws, I'll say that Carr never gives up and will throw to the bitter end which means tons of garbage time. You think Buffalo is going to be airing it out in December with Tyrod Taylor at the helm?

I would bet that Cooper's rookie numbers trump Watkins rookie year. I also wouldn't be shocked if Watkins delivered about the same stat line as last year even with improvement because his situation is even worse. IIt's a fair bet that Harvin poses more of a risk to his targets than Robert Woods did last year.

All in all, I can see this debate going either way and it really just comes down to who you prefer. Some err on the side of caution and take the player who has shown it on an NFL field. Some go with the "risk" and select the prospect they prefer. We won't know the true answer for a while.

JT2
Role Player
Role Player

Postby JT2 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:10 am

Give me Cooper for a few reasons. I like his QB situation a lot more in Oakland than Buffalo. I know what Buffalo's HC has done to other QB/WR combos (Sanchez/Edwards anywone). And for the simple fact that Watkins must face serious cornerback play in that division that Cooper doesn't even sniff. Throw in the fact that I usually go with the better route runner. All that said I'm in negotiations to acquire Watkins at the moment so I still like Watkins a lot but if I had to choose between the two I'll take the rookie because of situation.
Team #1
QB: Brady Goff Lauletta
RB: JHoward Collins RoJo DMartin Barber Warren Lindsay White
WR: Julio Edelman Baldwin Tate Funchess Anderson ZJones Ateman Callaway Kumerow
TE: Cook Walker Ertz
K: Gostkowski

Team #2
QB - Wentz, Hurts
RB - Dobbins, Jacobs, Sermon, Singletary, DHenderson
WR - Higgins, VJefferson, Sutton, Quez, Berrios
TE - Andrews, Irving Jr, Rudolph
DL - JPP, Allen, Nassim, Wolfe
LB - JBrown, MHarrison, RWilson
S - Savage, Jackson

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:28 pm

BUMP. :lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Gator Sens
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Gator Sens » Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:36 pm

Cooper with a monster, monster game.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:17 am

Gator Sens wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:36 pm Cooper with a monster, monster game.
Yeah, but, I mean, have you seen what Watkins has done lately?
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

MacDaddy123
MVP
MVP

Postby MacDaddy123 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:03 pm

Gator Sens wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:36 pm Cooper with a monster, monster game.
Unfortunately was not enough to get me to the finals. :wall:

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:39 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:28 pm BUMP. :lol:
Sammy Watkins, I never gained so much fantasy value being anti the group think on any one individual player than I did with Sammy.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts